Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
ColoradoKeystone

What to hook up first?????

Hello all,
we are total newbies! We purchased a 2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS. Does it matter what you hook up first when you get to the camp site?????? there is so much I'm having a hard time remembering all of it. We have not taken it out yet due to weather and I'm sweating just thinking about it. What if we do something wrong and it blows up!!! ha ha! No, I dont think we will do that, but you never know.

I'm sure my husband got most of it when we took delivery of it, but wow! So much. The electrical stuff is enough to make me drink! ha ha ha! We are getting really good at hooking to the truck (2008 Dodge Ram 1500 oh ya it's got a hemi ). So far no fights. He he he!

Any help you could give would be great. Thanks
ColoradoKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

It doesn't really matter but I always hook up the electric first so I have full power to the slide when I bring it out. Oh! Give it time the fights will come. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
ColoradoKeystone

Ha Ha ha, I'm sure they will. Thanks for the advise.
Tammy&Chad
Old 02-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
SteveC7010

I make no suggestions on hookups sequence! What may be more valuable to you is to get into a routine and follow it each time you setup and knock down.

There may be some logic here to this sequence for setup:
  1. Position trailer in campsite as you want it.
  2. Pull forward a couple of feet, place boards as necessary to level side to side, and back up on the boards.
  3. Chock the wheels and drop the trailer. Pull the Ram ahead for access.
  4. Level the trailer front to rear with nose jack and then set the stabilizers.
  5. Run out the slides.

Now, no particular order here:
  • Check power post with tester and then hookup shoreline.
  • Hookup hose to faucet, flush it, and then connect to trailer.
  • Hookup waste drain hose, dump black then gray if needed, and then close black.

It really does not matter which you connect first, water, electric, or sewer. What matters is that you learn to do each task and then do each one correctly every time.

If you know another couple who already have a trailer, arranging a weekend outing with them to a nearby campground is a great way to learn a lot of these things.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Any dumping that I have to do at the site, either when first hooking up or when leaving, I do that BEFORE I run the slides out. Otherwise, I have to crawl under the extended slides to reach 2 of the 3 the drain pulls.
But that works for me because of where the drain pulls are located --- your situation may be different.
After a few trips out, you will quickly find out the best sequence that works for you. It is, however, a good idea to perform them the same way each time so that it becomes a habit and you are less likely to forget.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
f6bits

As I found out last time, make sure all your utilities (water, electric, sewer) reach *before* leveling the trailer. I got mine all leveled and stable only to realize that I was about two feet short on my sewer line. No, I don’t have an extension…yet. Soon.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
jje1960

First

Well, after positioning, I usually want the electric first. Reason is when it's very hot outside, the family (and I) have cool air to escape to during a leisure setup, however this is on my mind thinking of Myrtle Beach in July! With our new unit, the electric awning goes out quickly, the shade is nice when everything else is going on during setup. I try and go through the routine slowly and stress free... However have to get the golf cart out of the TH... Always a bit of work involved setting up, especially when it's like 95deg out! I think my favorite setup is in Bristol, we go to a farmers field and one we level the unit, setup takes a couple of hours.... With a few beers stuck in there...
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Handysam

The first thing we did was drink, just kidding. I had a list of prioritys in order as we got to the camp sight. First for me is to get the camper into the spot we liked in terms of the door opening in relation to the sight, and then check my side to side level to see if I need to raise one side or the other. If so I'll level it side to side. Then I'll start to unhook it from the truck, in your case cranking it up off the ball hitch, pull the truck forward. Then level the camper front to back, after level lower the stabilizing legs. Then I hook up the electric, and water,open the slides, and get the inside all setup.

Then it's grab a beer and chill for a bit before doing the rest, such as the awning, dinner, make a fire, have a beer, get the bed made, have a beer, put the clothes away, feed the dog, have a beer, put out the awning lights, turn on the music and have a beer. Happy Campong, Sam
Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
ColoradoKeystone

ha ha ha! all of these have been very helpful! Thank you very much. I get that it goes more stress free with beer. he he he! We will be sure to bring enough.
I like your way of thinking Handysam.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
jje1960

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handysam View Post
The first thing we did was drink, just kidding. I had a list of prioritys in order as we got to the camp sight. First for me is to get the camper into the spot we liked in terms of the door opening in relation to the sight, and then check my side to side level to see if I need to raise one side or the other. If so I'll level it side to side. Then I'll start to unhook it from the truck, in your case cranking it up off the ball hitch, pull the truck forward. Then level the camper front to back, after level lower the stabilizing legs. Then I hook up the electric, and water,open the slides, and get the inside all setup.

Then it's grab a beer and chill for a bit before doing the rest, such as the awning, dinner, make a fire, have a beer, get the bed made, have a beer, put the clothes away, feed the dog, have a beer, put out the awning lights, turn on the music and have a beer. Happy Campong, Sam
I'm with SAM!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Oscar

If it doesn't come naturally, write a checklist. Fine tune it until you're happy with it and then laminate it.

SteveC7010's list is a very good place to start.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
V2rider

I have a tough time finding a spot that is anywhere close to level when I go hunting. I havn't even taken the new Outback out yet. April the ATV trails open up for me in Northern MN so that will be the first outing. I may need massive amounts of leveling blocks Also no power as we are in the "woods", first come first serve middle of nowhere campsites, some that will only fit a truck and tent. So a generator is needed. Bottled water is a must, and a porta potty I WILL however be using our dish service from home to get the RV package and have some night time satellite TV to watch Now to just find a way to make this darn Powermate Generator QUIETER. Its so damn loud its pretty unbearable. I have to have some sort of enclosure. I am now looking at maybe finding an exhaust alternative, or just dropping coin on a new Honda
V2rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
golfpro

Smile

it's my understanding the only way to make any noisy generator quiet is to use it as a boat anchor. It is just me I guess but I do not hook up the sewer hose until the next day. My tanks are usually empty and no need to do that step right away. besides it cuts into MY beer drinking time. by the time I get the set up all done, every one is two or three up on me.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
Oscar

I installed two larger batteries and an inverter. Run the genny to keep it topped off, then when it's quiet hours the inverter will power whatever you need (xcept the AC or micro) until the am ......
Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
chuck&gail

Steves list is great. Only thing I would add is Lynx Leveler Blocks (like big Legos) are much easier than lengths of wood for leveling IMO. Also you can chock wheels on the ground with wedge chocks, but not those up on wood or leveler blocks. I use a Rotochok between the wheels up on blocks to keep them from moving.

Have FUN, that is the main point.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome! Everyone has their own methedology but when you first start out make a check list and take it along. We position unit in site first and check clearences and distances. When new to camping it may help to carry a section of brightly colored nylon rope with you. You can tie tags and identify the various distances on the rope to correspond with the reach of the electric cable, fresh water & sewer hose, slide out(s), awning, and TV cable.
When the unit is positioned to reach all connections and clear obsticals then check for level. If its necessary to adjust side to side pull forward just enough to place boards or plastic blocks then back up and repeat until level.
Chock trailer wheels and then raise tounge jack to clear ball or pin. After the unit is clear of ball remove chains and saftey cable and unplug cable to tow vehicle.
Pull tow vehicle forward about two feet. Adjust tounge jack or landing gear until level front to back.
Drop stabilizers and pull steps out and ulock the doors.
Check pedestal power for proper voltage and ground, turn breaker off if it was left on, plug in power cable and turn breaker on. DW now eners camper and turns AC or heater on, checks fridge, extends awning (ours is electric) and waits for my signal to extend slides.
Connect hose to water spigot and flush hose. Connect hose to filter and camper,open outside shower to bleed air from fresh water lines and turn water heater on.
Connect TV cable to pedestal if cable TV is available.
Connect sewer line.
Signal DW to extend slides and watch for clearences.
Open outside kitchen, connect BBQ, install awning lights,Position rugs/mats, remove chairs from bags.
Go inside and set up TVs - set cable or raise antenna if no cable and set channel search.
Set down and enjoy a cold beverage.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #17
Outbackmel

Good checklist

One thing you missed...once you make a checklist, keep it and do not throw it away USE IT!

Cannot tell you how many times I have put everything in place and realized, after unhooking the tow vehicle, slide was blocked by water or some obstacle. I grew accustomed to all water/power/sewer being near rear of RV....out west, it varies it seems by age of RV park.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
SAABDOCTOR

HI THERE COLORADOKEYSTONE I TOO HAVE MADE A CHECK LIST. IT IS IN SECTIONS LIKE THE TYPES THAT PILOTS USE.( I ARE ONE) AND NOT ON A GAS STOVE HA HA HA. IT IS BROKEN DOWN INTO SECTION 1 HOOK UP AT HOME. 2SET UP AT THE CAMPGROUND A OUTSIDE B INSIDE C POUR COCKTAILS AND RELAX. THEN 3 PACKING UP INSIDE,OUTSIDE HOOK UP. 4 UNHOOKING AT HOME. 5 STORAGE. LIKE EVERYONE HAS SAID THERE IS NO ORDER AS TO ELECTRIC OR UTILITIES FIRST, THAT COMES WITH TIME AND WHAT IS EASIER FOR YOU. AS FOR ME, I MAKE SURE THAT THE POOP HOSE AND WATER AND POWER WILL REACH,THEN I PLUG INTO SHORE POWER. A TIP ON THIS TURN THE BREAKERS OFF THEN PLUG IN THEN TURN THEBREAKERS BACK ON. IT IS A GOOD HABBIT TO GET INTO. THEN I GET IT LEVEL. HAVE FUN LEARNING AND NO FIGHTING,AND IF HE IS WRONG MAKE HIM SLEEP INTHE TRUCK BARNEY
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
cumminsdad08

i got kids, water first, or find site close to the restroom. usually electric second, keeps mamma happy. all the rest, well it happens when it happens, sometimes the next morning. all depends. you will figure it out, just so your having a good time.

as for fights, my wife has her chores and i have mine. learned early on to just leave each other alone and do your own thing.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #20
jje1960

Check list...

Check List... Weee don't need no stinking Check List! "O crud honey.... did you unplug the electric?".....