Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2022, 06:33 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

I've tried a 10" canister filter that deionized water several years ago. The guy in Boston that owned the water filtration buisness the resturant chain used sent it to me to try out. He was considering selling it as a car care product and wanted my opinion.

It was a 10" canister filter with a section of 1/4" hose with a mister style nozzel. I tried it washing the trucks for final rinse water. With the flow restriction it took forever and the cartridge lasted for 4 rinses. The price for the cartridge was high and I didn't see the value in it. He abandoned the idea and as far as I'm aware didn't find it viable. A salt based softener would have worked better and been more economical.

I've seen the RV softeners but often thought about the set up and the freverse flush. Do you have a sewer connection for that? Anyway I didn't think it would be practical unless you were stationary for a prolonged time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:46 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

No I don't have a sewer connection for it as it's portable. It is salt based, needs recharging and reverse flushed. I thought I would use it when we were in FL as we are there from 4-6 mos. but with a Camco blue water filter 1st in line then a 2 canister filter after that the only thing I wanted the softener for was spots. I just did not realize the size and weight from the pic and what was involved. Told DW I'd put it in the barn and use it to wash the RV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:06 AM   #23
Roper46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
No I don't have a sewer connection for it as it's portable. It is salt based, needs recharging and reverse flushed. I thought I would use it when we were in FL as we are there from 4-6 mos. but with a Camco blue water filter 1st in line then a 2 canister filter after that the only thing I wanted the softener for was spots. I just did not realize the size and weight from the pic and what was involved. Told DW I'd put it in the barn and use it to wash the RV.
Would there be any reduction in pressure using the blue water filter and then the two canister filter?
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:55 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
Would there be any reduction in pressure using the blue water filter and then the two canister filter?

I have not experienced any that I can tell. I put them after my regulator set at 45-50psi as I recall. I have not taken a pressure gauge to it with everything hooked up because it's worked OK for us.
Old 06-17-2022, 02:34 PM   #25
Roper46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have not experienced any that I can tell. I put them after my regulator set at 45-50psi as I recall. I have not taken a pressure gauge to it with everything hooked up because it's worked OK for us.
Thanks Danny. I just ordered my two canister filter from Amazon.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 02:34 PM   #26
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
I'm guessing that you are thinking of using the blue Camco as a sediment filter and two 10" filters for what - 1 micron and 0.5 micron filters?

edit: which cannister set did you order? I've been looking at them, but I want clear with 1/2" (I think) fittings. Not sure what I want on the fitting size, actually. Seems like 1/2" will do the job and 3/4" is not really going to gain anything...

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:10 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

I've gravitated to buying my stuff from the guys in the link below including the water softener I just got. They seem to have pretty good stuff;

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/f..._By=disp_order
Old 06-19-2022, 01:25 PM   #28
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Currently I use the Camco blue water filter for sediment removal and a Pur water pitcher for drinking and cooking.
I'm thinking about changing over to a clear dual filter 10" unit to filter all the water entering the camper.
I'm wondering if a 0.5 micron filter passes water quickly enough that there is no noticeable drop in water pressure or volume at the tap or shower.

Thanks!
You want the Clear2o water filter. It is a solid piece of charcoal and does not separate and create “channels” of unfiltered water. The Camco blue filter is granular, rather than a solid piece. The Clear2o is far superior than the Camco. It is comparable in price but far superior filtration.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:36 PM   #29
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
You want the Clear2o water filter. It is a solid piece of charcoal and does not separate and create “channels” of unfiltered water. The Camco blue filter is granular, rather than a solid piece. The Clear2o is far superior than the Camco. It is comparable in price but far superior filtration.
Interesting stuff. It’s funny that the compressed carbon filter is only good for greater than 5 microns while the aluminized filters are less than 1 micron. I’m sure they’re not 0.5 micron or they’d point that out in the ads.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:53 AM   #30
christiaanvandenberg

I have used the Blue filter for six years with various results. This year I bought a two stage filter from the RVwater Filter Store. https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/r...-filter-system. One 1 micron canister and one .5 Micron Carbon Filter.

The results have been great. We have had very good tasting water for more than 34 days in the camper at five different sites so far. It was not super expensive and came with and additional 1 Micron Filter to install halfway through the season. Water flow is very good.
Bullet 248 RKS
christiaanvandenberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water