Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
wrvond

True Topper USA

So, I decided to take the plunge and install slide toppers. I've got the Lippert Solera kits ready to go. Of course, the very day I received the toppers I came across a product called True Topper.

https://www.truetopperusa.com/topless-topper

I fired off an email to the company asking for more information and a price quote. The answer came back that the True Topper would work very well on my camper, though it would cost around $1700.00 installed for both slides.
They come with a lifetime warranty on materials and 1 year on the installation.

So, before I go drilling holes in my slide outs to mount the conventional toppers, I'd like to know if anybody here has experience with these True Toppers. Are they really the "perfect" product, or are there hidden "gotchas" I should know about?

Experiences are sought, speculation is welcome!

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 02:36 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Interesting for sure. They don’t Billow in the wind, what is the topper “fabric”? I haven’t seen any installed so I’ll reserve any judgement.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 03:31 PM   #3
RollaMo

I don't think that system will work with your slides.

In their video they show the slide top is completely flat all the way to the end, which allows any debris to be swept off as the slide comes in.

The slides on your Cougar are not built like that.
The outside edge goes up above the actual top of the slide, and that True Topper will get "jammed up" as the slide comes in.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:37 PM   #4
LHaven

Yup, that was my first observation. Every Cougar slideout I've ever seen has a "parapet." They don't sink flush, they lap the cutout on the top (and sides).
Old 04-29-2022, 08:11 PM   #5
travelin texans

Those would not work on any rv slides I've had due to the 2 1/2 - 3" high trim piece on the outer edge of the slide.
Personally would stick with what you've already ordered.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:19 AM   #6
wrvond

Yes, the slide is modified by cutting the flange off flat.
Basically it’s a squeegee that wipes the slide roof clean..
This is a quote from the email reply:
“The modification process used to install our system on an RV such as your is as follows:
We begin by trimming the aluminum flange running along the roof of the slideroom so that it is converted from a sideways "T" shape to an upside down "L" shape(see attached). We leave all of the factory attachments and seals in place plus add an additional low-profile molding as a "ramp" so that the True Topper "sweep" is allowed to easily glide over the factory molding without catching or bumping. The True Topper sweep and hinge are attached directly to the header above the slideroom, just above the factory wipe seal (the factory wipe seal is left in place). Two things worth noting, 1 -the portion of our True Topper that rides along the roof of your slideroom is made of a high-slip material (acetal) so nothing abrasive is contacting the roof of your slide. 2 - Along the header of your slideroom opening you have two rubber "wipe-seals" attached at the factory. Our True Toppers come with one additional rubber "wipe-seal" attached on the underside of the "sweep" so you gain additional water shedding capability with our system. (both Winnebago and Tiffin factory tests confirm an improved water wiping over the traditional configuration.)”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5D5791D5-6EA6-4CAB-948F-66DA715EC2AA.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	39498  

Old 04-30-2022, 03:31 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Most DP motorhomes (Winnebago and Tiffin, etc) and "upgraded trailers" will have fiberglass slide roofs, so there's a significantly more durable roof on those motorhome slides. Every Keystone trailer that I've seen has either a EPDM (rubber) or TPO (plastic membrane) roof. They are prone to damage from anything "slipping or sliding" over the surface of the roof membrane.

I can not imagine ice or snow "frozen to the roof" and that slide being retracted without the roof membrane being "left with the ice" as the slide is retracted. IMO, that is a great addition for figerglass or metal roof slides, but not so much for EPDM or TPO roof slides...

Then there's the "protection from the sun's heat while the slides are extended. You'll lose that "shade cover" that's, for most owners, the first or second most important reason they install a slide cover.

I'd stick with the "flapping but provide shade and won't damage the TPO roof" type of slide, at least until Keystone starts building slides with either fiberglass or aluminum sheet roofs....

If you're "hellbent to install these" I'd urge you to modify the slide roofs by having them install either a HDPE or fiberglass sheet to the roof. I don't believe your current TPO will survive the first "ice covered retraction"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:10 AM   #8
rhagfo

This is a wiper more than a topper, so one of the advantages of toppers is lost. That is the insulating feature of providing an air space between the slide roof and the topper, which reduces A/C load in sunny climates.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:49 AM   #9
dutchmensport

I'm not so sure about that squeegie thing rubbing the rubber roof on any of my slides, not t mention where the edges are puttied and taped. I would think, in time, that rubbing would damage the rubber roof. No, I'd never use this product, and most definitely don't want the slide itself cut. That top flange, the T is there for a reason.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:53 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

I agree with the comments above. In watching the videos they show "hard covered" slide roofs that are smooth. The dry leaves and fluffy snow is easily scraped off. In the world I live in the roof membrane with sealent on it is anything but a "glass smooth". I wouldn't want to think of a heavy frost, freezing rain, or wet snow that hard feezes overnight being chiseled off when retracted.

The slidetoppers function in several ways from my experience. First it reduces interior slid temps by providing shade. Secondly it catches debris that stays OUTSIDE and doesn't pass by or tear up the top wiper seal. What debris? Well I've seen broken nut shells from trees that look like a broken miniature bottle, we pine needles, pieces of broken pine needles, and this time of year various tree blossoms that seem to glue themselves to anything with moisture. We have Bradford Pear trees and oak trees that drop blossoms on our trucks that stick on the windshield and after the dew dries off they may as well be painted onto the truck.

I've had slides with and without slide toppers and I'll never own another slide unless it has a topper. If parked under trees that deposit a lot of "stuff" I find it much easier to stand on the ground with a broom and brush off the topper as it gets wound up while the DW pushes the button inside rather than climb up and sweep it off. If A bird or squirrel decides to use that area for "target practice" while they do what animals do I prefer that stay outside vs being on top of the slide inside the camper. JMO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:40 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Yes, the slide is modified by cutting the flange off flat.
Basically it’s a squeegee that wipes the slide roof clean..
This is a quote from the email reply:
“The modification process used to install our system on an RV such as your is as follows:
We begin by trimming the aluminum flange running along the roof of the slideroom so that it is converted from a sideways "T" shape to an upside down "L" shape(see attached). We leave all of the factory attachments and seals in place plus add an additional low-profile molding as a "ramp" so that the True Topper "sweep" is allowed to easily glide over the factory molding without catching or bumping. The True Topper sweep and hinge are attached directly to the header above the slideroom, just above the factory wipe seal (the factory wipe seal is left in place). Two things worth noting, 1 -the portion of our True Topper that rides along the roof of your slideroom is made of a high-slip material (acetal) so nothing abrasive is contacting the roof of your slide. 2 - Along the header of your slideroom opening you have two rubber "wipe-seals" attached at the factory. Our True Toppers come with one additional rubber "wipe-seal" attached on the underside of the "sweep" so you gain additional water shedding capability with our system. (both Winnebago and Tiffin factory tests confirm an improved water wiping over the traditional configuration.)”
Nope! That would do it for me!
They would not be doing "modifications, cutting, trimming" anything to the slide roofs of my rvs regardless of how proud of their work they may be!
$200 for a good ladder & $20 for a push broom, I'd have $1480 left of that $1700 to perform the same function & no modifications necessary.
Maybe it's like the "as seen on TV" stuff, "if ordered in the next 15 minutes we'll throw in a 2nd for only separate handling charges!".
Sorry for being a smart a##!
To me this ranks right up there with the steel cage bolted to your axle to prevent blow out damage, someone's making money on both of these inventions but not a dime will come from me for either of them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 10:35 AM   #12
Np2650

Quote:
So, I decided to take the plunge and install slide toppers. I've got the Lippert Solera kits ready to go. Of course, the very day I received the toppers I came across a product called True Topper.

https://www.truetopperusa.com/topless-topper

I fired off an email to the company asking for more information and a price quote. The answer came back that the True Topper would work very well on my camper, though it would cost around $1700.00 installed for both slides.
They come with a lifetime warranty on materials and 1 year on the installation.

So, before I go drilling holes in my slide outs to mount the conventional toppers, I'd like to know if anybody here has experience with these True Toppers. Are they really the "perfect" product, or are there hidden "gotchas" I should know about?

Experiences are sought, speculation is welcome!
Post some pictures when your are done. Thinking of doing this too.
Np2650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 02:23 PM   #13
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Np2650 View Post
Post some pictures when your are done. Thinking of doing this too.
I've dealt with a slide (without topper) covered in ice and snow and the comments above reminded me of how difficult it was to remove from the textured rubber surface. A lot of other good points were made as well, but more than anything, being able to sweep the topper as it rolls up while standing on the ground is probably the best.

So I'm going to stick with the fabric slide toppers in this case.

My bride was driving down the highway just yesterday and saw a camper with the toppers billowing in the wind. I've read of topper locks but haven't figured out exactly how they work yet. Are they an add on device and do they actuate as the slide moves in and release automatically?

I'm hoping to get to the install on my camper some time this coming week.

Old 04-30-2022, 02:32 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

My Carefree slide toppers have a lock on them. The locks came as a part of the package, so I'd guess that all Carefree slide toppers have locks. Can't say anything definite about the other two brands, Lippert and Dometic, but I'd guess they also come with locks.

My locks are "automatic" as long as they're adjusted correctly. The ones your DW saw "billowing" may have not had locks or they may have had locks that weren't working correctly. Had to say what the issue may have been.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 03:03 PM   #15
rhagfo

Our Dometic toppers have locks, that keep the rolling if the slide is closed.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:23 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Every slide topper with an “open fabric” will have an “anti Billow” device. Carefree Ascent series is covered and apparently doesn’t reguire one.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:23 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

As for "billowing" going down the road I've never seen or heard of it but anything is possible. The broom I use is a broom head that screws onto a broomstick. I use the broom head on a collapsible pain pole that goes down to about 5' and extens to about 8' so I don't need a stepstool.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 04:27 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
As for "billowing" going down the road I've never seen or heard of it but anything is possible. The broom I use is a broom head that screws onto a broomstick. I use the broom head on a collapsible pain pole that goes down to about 5' and extens to about 8' so I don't need a stepstool.
Funny you should say that. I never did either until last month. Customer stops by on his way home from a trip with his motorhome. No anti billow devices and his DS topper was all waded up. Ended up installing them in all 3 toppers.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:25 AM   #19
legger99

Quote:
Are they an add on device and do they actuate as the slide moves in and release automatically?
I have installed two of the LCI Solera toppers on two different trailers and both times I added the anti-billow device they sell. It is a little arm that gets added to the end of the reel/roll that when fully closed it will only move an inch or so before it hits the stopper. Stopper is mounted to the camper.
It takes a little fidgeting to get it mounted right as you need to make sure it swings past the stop when opening. I generally tape it in place then move the slide in/out a few times to make sure it doesn't make contact when it isn't supposed to.

https://store.lci1.com/anti-billowin...w-awnings.html
2021 Passport SL 221BH - sold
legger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:18 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

If you mount the anti billow arm straight up it will clear the bracket on the sidewall.