Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2022, 10:15 AM   #1
BruceinDFW

Should I replace my 5 year old Sailun S637

I have a 2017 40' Montana with the original Sailun S637 G rated tires. They still have a lot of tread on them with no visible damage, cracking, etc. We have put around 10K miles on them in the last couple of years and are heading out in a June for another 3-4K trip. I'm trying to decide if I should replace them prior to the trip or keep them on for another year. Looking for community input. Thanks!
2019 Rad Rover & Rad Mini Step-thru
BruceinDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:30 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinDFW View Post
I have a 2017 40' Montana with the original Sailun S637 G rated tires. They still have a lot of tread on them with no visible damage, cracking, etc. We have put around 10K miles on them in the last couple of years and are heading out in a June for another 3-4K trip. I'm trying to decide if I should replace them prior to the trip or keep them on for another year. Looking for community input. Thanks!
Camper tires don't wear out unless the axles are bent or a similar problem. Camper (ST) tires age out and most folks won't go past four years before replacing. The age weakens them and they are not as capable of supporting the weight on them as when new. The tires degrade by some percentage every year.

I would replace and make sure I had a good TPMS system before going anywhere. Just my personal experience.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:53 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Bruce I would replace them personally. That's a big trailer and a pretty long trip to "hope" that those 5 year old tires with that load will hold out.

I've got the same tires on this trailer and they will be gone prior to year 5. I figure you've got LRG Sailuns as mine are but you will be carrying more weight. They are also subjected to about the same sun and heat mine are when I'm in TX. I would not start that trip with them. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:00 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree, for me, the $800 price to replace the tires "trumps" the $8000 price to rebuild a wheelwell....

That said, I believe the Sailun ST tires are "all steel" construction, so they may have a different "survivability" that's better than the polyester cord ST tires in the "conventional load ranges from C to E"... But, on the other hand, the UV degredation of the rubber, the ozone degredation from being exposed to ozone, the loss of lubrication within the rubber from sitting without the sidewalls flexing are all very similar between "all steel tires" and "ST polyester cord tires"...

If it were me, I'd feel much better with new tires on the trailer for a trip that long.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:48 AM   #5
BruceinDFW

Okay, looks like I should replace them. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
2019 Rad Rover & Rad Mini Step-thru
BruceinDFW is offline   Reply With Quote