Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2022, 09:09 AM   #1
Lnhjones

Set Up Checklist for a 390DS

Does anyone have a good one? My husband and I are new to having a 5th wheel and have just had our new one out a few times now, but it always takes quite a while to get everything on it up and running because we (he) inevitably always forgets to flip a switch somewhere. It took all day to remember how to get the hot water on. Does anyone have a good checklist we could use to help remember all flips and switches, knobs and pulls, to get going, and the reverse, to make sure we turn everything off when packing up.

TIA
Ellen
Lnhjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:08 AM   #2
rhagfo

We don't have a list we have a routine, I do the outside setup, and DW does the inside. The best way is to start a list yourself and add to is as you remember different items.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:20 AM   #3
Laredo Tugger

Ellen
Repetitive performance on any piece of equipment will produce safe and efficient operation.
Meaning, your comfort level with set up and take down of your new trailer will become second nature over time.
Walk around your trailer(hitched to the truck) develop and write down a list of steps required to unhitch and put the trailer in service. Start with front jacks down before pulling the truck away from the trailer ( yes this does happen) all the way through leveling, hook ups and a full systems check. When your list is complete maybe make a print copy and take a picture of it on your phone. If you have not been told, a EMS (Electrical Management System) is highly recommended and a pressure regulator for the water hose is a must have.
That's a big trailer and can be intimidating I'm sure. As stated with time and practice it will get easier.
Good luck
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:29 AM   #4
bgrhrdt

Here's the list we use:

Fifth Wheel Hook up

(If Leaving Campground, complete “Leaving Campground” checklist first

Lube hitch with WD-40
Remove Pin Lock
Chock behind front wheels
If in Storage, close refrigerator doors and put in screw
Battery Switch to ON
Fully retract rear jacks
Confirm hitch handle pulled out and hitch aligned
Lower Tailgate
Back up to about 3 inches from hitch
Extend or retract front jacks until angled sections are at same level
Reverse in one movement until hitch locks (handle in).
Retract front jacks until both are approx 1” off ground
DO NOT close tailgate yet
Plug in Power Cord and attach emergency stop cable
Test hookup:
Put truck in Drive
Apply trailer brakes
Accelerate to verify hitched properly
Close tailgate
Fully retract front jacks
Release front jack pads and raise to uppermost position
Remove chocks

Fifth Wheel Unhook and Leveling

Chock behind and in front of front wheels of trailer
Tailgate down
Remove emergency stop cable
Release front jack pads and lower to about 6” from ground
Extend front jacks until pressure just off of hitch
Pull hitch handle to release pin
Check Tailgate Open
Unplug power cord
Drive forward out from under hitch and clear of trailer
Autolevel or manually level trailer

Leaving Campground

Turn on inverter (before unplugging from shore power)
Propane OFF
Bring in outside thermometer
Bathroom door latched
Toilet Paper Secure
Shower door latched
Vents closed
Strap dining chairs
Strap TV
Close all window shades
Garbage Out and Can stored in bin
Coffee Pot/Water Filter Pitcher in sink
Water Heater OFF
AC/Heater OFF
Water Pump OFF
Lights OFF
Dog Water Bowl empty and stored
Bedroom Door Closed
Put screw in refrigerator

Temporary Storage

Inverter disconnect OFF
Consider opening vents
Main battery disconnect OFF
Install Lock Pin
Unscrew Refrigerator and crack open
Open up coffee pot in sink
Close propane tank
Old 03-25-2022, 07:18 AM   #5
dutchmensport

It's best to create your own check list. Just start writing stuff down as you do it. Even if you forget something, when you remember, then write it in.

I think all of us forget something sometimes, especially if the camper does not move during winter and then it's taken out the first time of the camping season. It seems, there's always something little forgotten.

I've been camping all my life. I've owned RVs for the last 25 years. And still, this year, when un-winterizing the camper, I couldn't figure out how to get the ice maker working again in the refrigerator. (When the indicator light for ice is off, the ice maker is actually on. When the indicator light for the ice is on, the ice maker is actually off)....???? I remember that, but it didn't work. It took several times before it started working. What changed? Who knows, I just couldn't get it right.....

One year, I turned on the electric in the water heater and forgot to flip the by-pass valve. I burned up the heating element. I realized what I'd done, after 2 days of no hot water.

We all have the learning curve, and there are many times, something is missed or forgotten. But, it does get better and better the more you do it.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:19 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Any "list" that anyone might provide may and likely won't be relevant to your camper, where you camp, or if it's just you or is it a "all hands on deck" set up. It's sort of like asking for a list of your morning routine. Some folks may brush their teeth before they get dressed and others after.

What I'd suggest is that you make a list of what needs to be done and start with that. For example, first on the list for me is leveling side to side BEFORE unhitching. I don't have an auto level system so that's My first step. My second step is chocking the trailer tires BEFORE removing the tongue from the ball. Next is raising the trailer off the ball BEFORE unhitching the safety chains. Then I pull forward and level front to back BEFORE extending the stabilizers and deploying the slides. Those are the "must do in that order" for our trailer, your's will be different.

When (if) you connect electric, water & sewer, awning, etc., doesn’t matter. There are some exceptions like having water in the water heater and the air purged out of the lines BEFORE turning it on. I don't worry about that myself because I turn the water pump on when we arrive and I know the system has been bleed and not drained seince the last use. For me, after I'm level side to side I plug into shore power as it takes a min for the EMS to power up and I'll have the cconverter to help with the power draw from the tongue jack and stabilizers.

Once the stabilizers are down the DW goes inside and runs the slides out while I watch outside. Then she turns on the airconditioner or furnace as necessary. So point is this, make a list or a flowchart of what needs to happen on the "must do first" list and your list for packing up will be close to the reverse proceedure. I would make a list of MUST DO BEFORE HITCHING AND MUST DO BEFORE LEAVING items. Before I hitch up I walk around and check that the stabilizers are up so it's ok to raise the tongue. Before pulling out another walk around to make sure everything is stowed away like steps, tv antenna, hoses, etc. and all compartments are closed and locked. It's basically common sense that you shouldn't raise the front of the trailer with rear stabilizers down.
Make a list of which switch does what, say "turn on water heater top swich on the left on the main panel". One of the best, easiest things I did was use a label maker and labeled the electric switces. The rest of it will become apparent with time. I can go thru a long, long list of "set up coffee maker and ice maker and fill with water after..." but that would be useless to you. You can work it out and it will become easier every time you repeate the process. You will eventually get into a groove and it will become second nature.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 07:34 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrhrdt View Post
Here's the list we use:

Fifth Wheel Hook up

(If Leaving Campground, complete “Leaving Campground” checklist first

Lube hitch with WD-40
Remove Pin Lock
Chock behind front wheels
If in Storage, close refrigerator doors and put in screw
Battery Switch to ON
Fully retract rear jacks
Confirm hitch handle pulled out and hitch aligned
Lower Tailgate
Back up to about 3 inches from hitch
Extend or retract front jacks until angled sections are at same level
Reverse in one movement until hitch locks (handle in).
Retract front jacks until both are approx 1” off ground
DO NOT close tailgate yet
Plug in Power Cord and attach emergency stop cable
Test hookup:
Put truck in Drive
Apply trailer brakes
Accelerate to verify hitched properly
Close tailgate
Fully retract front jacks
Release front jack pads and raise to uppermost position
Remove chocks

Fifth Wheel Unhook and Leveling

Chock behind and in front of front wheels of trailer
Tailgate down
Remove emergency stop cable
Release front jack pads and lower to about 6” from ground
Extend front jacks until pressure just off of hitch
Pull hitch handle to release pin
Check Tailgate Open
Unplug power cord
Drive forward out from under hitch and clear of trailer
Autolevel or manually level trailer

Leaving Campground

Turn on inverter (before unplugging from shore power)
Propane OFF
Bring in outside thermometer
Bathroom door latched
Toilet Paper Secure
Shower door latched
Vents closed
Strap dining chairs
Strap TV
Close all window shades
Garbage Out and Can stored in bin
Coffee Pot/Water Filter Pitcher in sink
Water Heater OFF
AC/Heater OFF
Water Pump OFF
Lights OFF
Dog Water Bowl empty and stored
Bedroom Door Closed
Put screw in refrigerator

Temporary Storage

Inverter disconnect OFF
Consider opening vents
Main battery disconnect OFF
Install Lock Pin
Unscrew Refrigerator and crack open
Open up coffee pot in sink
Close propane tank
One recommendation;
DO NOT use regular WD40 on the hitch, or anything but rusted bolts or tar removal, it's a dust & dirt magnet. Also DO NOT use it on ANY of rubber seals or gaskets, it will deteriorate rubber.. WD40 makes a silicone spray that is much better suited for all your rv needs. There's several brands of silicone sprays or dry lubes for your rv.
Also if equipped with a rv gas/elec fridge be sure it's set to "auto" & DO NOT turn the propane off or the fridge will not run will traveling. If equipped with a residential fridge set the inverter to "auto" & leave it on so the fridge will cool when traveling.
One more item, when in storage the only way to totally disconnect the batteries is to remove the negative cable from the battery going directly to ground otherwise with the parasitic drains that the factory battery disconnect does not disconnect your batteries WILL be dead in as little as a week depending on their age & condition.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:11 AM   #8
bgrhrdt

I provided my checklist because that's what the OP asked for. I would also not use anyone else's checklist without modifying it for my own use.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
One recommendation;
DO NOT use regular WD40 on the hitch, or anything but rusted bolts or tar removal, it's a dust & dirt magnet.
The PullRite that I have specifically says to avoid silicone products and recommends using only WD-40 or a light oil.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:03 AM   #9
keyholeelf

I like to use the APP on my phone called "anylist". I can add or remove items to the list on the fly, and as I complete them I can mark them off. I also divide it up into sections for different things. Later I can uncheck everything and start again. We also use it for packing list, grocery list and so on. It can also be shared between users so that if you're at the store the list can be updated by your SO.
keyholeelf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
checklist