Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2022, 07:24 PM   #21
Shedboy

Notice the spec - ELEGRP 30W 6.0 Amp 3-Port Type C USB Wall Outlet, Smart Chip High Speed Charging for iPhone total output of 5V DC, 6.0 Amp, 30W (Max 3.3A standalone) [not for laptops]

Although it is a "smart" charger, each of the sockets is USB "C". The total output specified (30 Watts) can only be obtained by connecting the sockets together w a "Y" cable. USB "C" specifies 3 amp @ 5V = 15 watts. Note that the wire gauge necessary to carry 30 watts @ 5V is AWG 18, which is physically to large to fit into a USB connector.

This flush mount device would work for cell phones but the use of an external USB charger/converted (as some have recommended} has more versatility and would not be limited by the USB "A","B","C", "PD" restraints.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:38 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post
Notice the spec - ELEGRP 30W 6.0 Amp 3-Port Type C USB Wall Outlet, Smart Chip High Speed Charging for iPhone total output of 5V DC, 6.0 Amp, 30W (Max 3.3A standalone) [not for laptops]

Although it is a "smart" charger, each of the sockets is USB "C". The total output specified (30 Watts) can only be obtained by connecting the sockets together w a "Y" cable. USB "C" specifies 3 amp @ 5V = 15 watts. Note that the wire gauge necessary to carry 30 watts @ 5V is AWG 18, which is physically to large to fit into a USB connector.

This flush mount device would work for cell phones but the use of an external USB charger/converted (as some have recommended} has more versatility and would not be limited by the USB "A","B","C", "PD" restraints.
I completly agree, that's why I use a 90 watt stand alone charger as I previously stated. I linked that wall mounted charger to inform readers that they are available. FWIW, I'm guessing the the reason they made it 15 watts was so it would operate the wireless QI chargers. Some cell phone wireless chargers require 10 watts and some require 15 watts for "rapid charging".

I have no knowledge or personal experience with that wall charger and therefore can't recommend it nor speak negativly about it. If anyone desires to dive into the minutia of specs and testing on these devices there are plenty of websites that provide that information. The simplest recommendation that I can make is for anyone looking to make a purchase is to compare the specifications of the devices with that of the devices. So for simplicity, let's say your phone requires 15 watts to "fast charge" and you want to charge 2 of them while you eat lunch. Then you will need a 30 watt capacity charger at min. If you only need to charge them slowely overnight a lower wattage unit will do. However; the charger MUST MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIRENMENTS of whatever is plugged into it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlets, upgrade, usb