Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2022, 06:59 AM   #21
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghunter12 View Post
We will not be moving locations often, and unit can be placed at our location ... by dealership. ...
This is a good alternative if you want to park the trailer and it doesn't move. The dealership probably can / will work with you to haul the trailer to your location. It will not be cheap though. But do your best.

The problem will be, when you decide to change locations again. Or, in the event something happens at the campground and absolutely must, have to, move the camper in quick notice. Then you'll find yourself in a very tough situation. Plus, the dealership will probably NOT work with you after your initial sale to move the trailer a second time. They may, at best, give you a phone number of a transit company that would do it, and then you'd have to negotiate with them. Still, in a quick pinch, this may be very costly at an inconvenient time, and they may be booked solid with other transports for months out.

Maybe I'm just a bit too old school here. I don't like to depend on anyone else for anything. That applies to everything in my life. When it comes to having a vehicle to move my camper, I think that is one of the highest priorities in my life. Having no way to move the trailer because I don't have the right vehicle is just a horrible though for me. I'm too independent, and I absolutely hate having to depend on others, put up with their quirks, and wait for their time line.

Your call, but glad you are settled on a decision.

As I've always said, there is no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to RVing and RV ownership. It's just "different" for every one of us how we do it.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:45 AM   #22
Cbrez

We have a similar length and GVWR Montana as you. I started out pulling it with a F250 SRW. I would have told you that it drove well, braked well and the Diesel engine exhaust break worked great on downhill grades. But there was no denying whenever I got on a CAT scale I was 600-700 lbs over the rear GAWR.

We finally upgraded to a F350 DRW. While it’s a pain to drive around town, there is no denying it’s a superior towing vehicle. We are no longer over weight and it is so comfortable to drive that DW splits the driving time with me. Take everyone’s advice here and go DRW, whatever make and model you prefer.

I also recommend a diesel, but with fuel costs over $5 a gallon it’s tough to pull up to a fuel pump

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:04 AM   #23
TKS323RL

1 ton DRW. Be safe.
TKS323RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:31 AM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
We have a similar length and GVWR Montana as you. I started out pulling it with a F250 SRW. I would have told you that it drove well, braked well and the Diesel engine exhaust break worked great on downhill grades. But there was no denying whenever I got on a CAT scale I was 600-700 lbs over the rear GAWR.

We finally upgraded to a F350 DRW. While it’s a pain to drive around town, there is no denying it’s a superior towing vehicle. We are no longer over weight and it is so comfortable to drive that DW splits the driving time with me. Take everyone’s advice here and go DRW, whatever make and model you prefer.

I also recommend a diesel, but with fuel costs over $5 a gallon it’s tough to pull up to a fuel pump
Driving a DRW CC LB in town is no worse than a SRW, 99% of the issue is in your mind. Yes, turns a bit wider, but you learn to deal with it.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:24 PM   #25
grey ghost

I would stronglysuggest at least a 350/3500 diesel. I pull a 3121RL Montana 5ver with a F-350 4x4 short bed and go up sunset at 65 mph if everyone keeps out of my way. I also have a 18K BW slider hitch which I highly recommend! We love here in Glendale also and pull North a lot. You will also love the Jake brake coming back down sunset on the way home!! Have any other questions feel free to private message me.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana