Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2022, 06:36 AM   #1
jxnbbl

Fan Vent Upgrade - worth it?

For the most part, we tend to cook outside but there are occasions where we cook indoors and end up (like everyone else) getting some type of smoke, set off the detectors etc. Since our stove has this unvented fan, I was wondering if we actually just upgraded the roof vent to fan would this help.

What are others experiences and/or solutions?

thanks
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:08 AM   #2
Canonman

Heng's maks an affordable ceiling vent replacement that fits in the same space as the existing ceiling vent. You will need to run 12 volt power to the vent, but that will be the only significant mod required. The plus side is the fan is reversible so you can also bring fresh air in as well as exhaust air out.
https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-Industr...0DPJ3RDA&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7683-HDR.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	38558  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:26 AM   #3
BigBobIa

Fan Vent Upgrade - worth it?

Are you sure your fan is unvented? Ours has an approximately 3”x7” flap/door outside with two turntable clips on the bottom. Locked closed since it rattles in wind but move the clips and the exhaust fan moves stove smoke outside. We are 1,000 miles from our 5er till Saturday so I cannot take pictures.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

If your stove is unvented a powered fan would be a great benefit. Depending on where it is (mine is directly above the kitchen) it can move a lot of air from the kitchen if you are cooking.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 08:23 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at photos of the OP's model trailer, there is no external vent in the area of the range/oven. So, the only two alternatives are to either "modify the slide sidewall" by cutting an opening for a vented range hood or to install an overhead vent fan in the roof vent. Both will work to remove cooking odors/humidity from the galley area, but there is no "grease filter" on the overhead roof vent option. That will mean the OP will need to stay diligent on keeping the fan/vent area clean and free of grease. Totally "doable" but not always the "easiest to manage option".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #6
jxnbbl

Thanks for the info.. will look at the recommended fan.

The 3d tour accurately reflects the trailer - LINK

There is a furrion unvented hood above the stove with a grease filter. As I said we don't do this often as we have an "outdoor kitchen" to supplement out blackstone grill/griddle and we travel during the spring->fall. For us, this means we cook almost every meal outdoors. But for instance we might have a heck of a day and reheat some pizza in the oven that smokes a bit --- or even screw up and microwave popcorn a bit too much or?? so I was thinking that a 'powered vent" at the location of the roof vent would suck that smoke out before it hits the detector.

thanks for all the input.

Jay
Old 03-02-2022, 10:30 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If your replacing the vent, you might want to look at the MaxxAir line. The vent lid is shaped so you don’t need a vent cover to operate in the rain. I have one at each end of my fiver to move air.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:32 AM   #8
ChuckS

This is an image I cropped off of that view on your link and rotated it and high lighted in yellow

If you have the skill sets then a powered vent fan installed would be a great improvement when trying to cook inside

The one issue may be getting 12 volts DC to the powered fan but it can be done with some forethought and patience

Something like this with a powered vent lift might be worth a look see and measurements to see what you might need size wise

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...19-603-00.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3785BF5C-DEAD-4B66-B0B6-F619D46F67E4.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	38562  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:00 AM   #9
wrvond

I just looked at the 2022 Bullet 330BHS on line and it doesn't appear to have a conventional stove vent. There certainly isn't an external vent fitting on the curbside slide. So the OP is doubtless correct in that installing a fan in the ceiling vent would make a huge difference in clearing out smoke or odors.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:06 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Looking at a walk thru of your trailer your fan is almost directly above the stove. Replacing it with a power vent would be a great mod IMO.

Getting 12v might be problematic but worst case looks like you could easily pick up switched 12v from one of the ceiling lights nearby. As Chuck mentioned, I would put a Maxair cover over it along with any other vents you have in the RV. Weather is no concern when they are in place and you can use the vents without worry.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

I have two of these in white.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxx-Air-0000...41121545&psc=1

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-02-2022, 12:31 PM   #12
Northofu1

I have the Heng's fan, cheap and works great, took less than a 1/2 hour.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:00 PM   #13
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

First thanks for all the feedback. This trailer has 4 vents at pickup I bought 4 max air covers the one other real mod that I made besides hooking up 2 175W solar panels (and controller). I just look at it as cheap insurance if it does rain regardless of driving or stationary.

Chuckster, how hard it it to install one of those? And can I just tap into a light 12V wire (means I have to have the lights on for it to work) or do I have to fish around for something with a heavier GA/different color code wire?

thanks again.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:23 PM   #14
mike95776

Jay, I feel your pain..... I am thinking of doing the same thing... We have an exhaust fan over the stove that vents to the outside and it is absolutely worthless... The only thing we can cook on the stove that won't set off the smoke detector is boiling water... I will need to cut a hole in the roof to do it.... If I make the mod I am thinking I will completely remove the existing vent...
I thought about going with a max air product but the Amazon reviews say the costumer service is non existent... Has anyone had any contact with Max Air?
mike95776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 05:40 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95776 View Post
Jay, I feel your pain..... I am thinking of doing the same thing... We have an exhaust fan over the stove that vents to the outside and it is absolutely worthless... The only thing we can cook on the stove that won't set off the smoke detector is boiling water... I will need to cut a hole in the roof to do it.... If I make the mod I am thinking I will completely remove the existing vent...
I thought about going with a max air product but the Amazon reviews say the costumer service is non existent... Has anyone had any contact with Max Air?
If your existing range hood "POSITIVELY" vents to the outside and it's not working to effectively pull cooking odor, steam and heat from the galley, rather than cutting new holes in your roof, you might consider a "range hood upgrade" to the SAM-E system. I did that the first year we had our Cougar (8 years ago when the system first came out on the market) and it's been phenominal. We use it like a roof vent fan when we get to a new campsite and the trailer is hot. It's as effective as our Fantastic roof vent in the bathroom (upgraded from the OEM "fart fan") and it will exhaust all the cooking heat/fumes when operating on low. Plus, it's quiet... Oh did I mention that you can hardly hear it run when in operation ???

Check it out and see what you think. It replaces the existing "guts" in your current range hood and when done, you can't tell it's even been modified. Even the same switches are used for the fan and light, which is also upgraded to a "truly functional LED cooking light"...

https://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Oper.../dp/B00VAAQ3VE It's not cheap, but IMO, worth every penny and it sure beats cutting holes in the roof of your trailer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-02-2022, 06:28 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
First thanks for all the feedback. This trailer has 4 vents at pickup I bought 4 max air covers the one other real mod that I made besides hooking up 2 175W solar panels (and controller). I just look at it as cheap insurance if it does rain regardless of driving or stationary.

Chuckster, how hard it it to install one of those? And can I just tap into a light 12V wire (means I have to have the lights on for it to work) or do I have to fish around for something with a heavier GA/different color code wire?

thanks again.
Easy Peasy for me I rate it a 3-4 on the DIY scale. I used the same gauge as lights, just tapped into the hot side of a switch.

Old 03-03-2022, 06:05 AM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
For the most part, we tend to cook outside but there are occasions where we cook indoors and end up (like everyone else) getting some type of smoke, set off the detectors etc. Since our stove has this unvented fan, I was wondering if we actually just upgraded the roof vent to fan would this help.

What are others experiences and/or solutions?

thanks
I am not questioning you, but the manufactures, how do they get away with non-exhausted range hood with a gas appliance???
Our hood works ok, but we added a fantastic fan to the vent in the kitchen area to help out.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 06:32 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I am not questioning you, but the manufactures, how do they get away with non-exhausted range hood with a gas appliance???
Our hood works ok, but we added a fantastic fan to the vent in the kitchen area to help out.
Vented and non-vented range hoods have been common in S&B and RV use for the last 10 years. I can't "pinpoint" which trailer lines are vented and which are not vented, as there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind the choices made by the factory, but in some lines, all the range hoods are vented and in some lines, none of the range hoods are vented to the outside.

I thought at one time it was based on the trailer cost, entry level trailers have non-vented (cheaper to install) range hoods, but then Hideout and Springdale has never (to my knowledge) used anything but vented range hoods and Premier, the "top of the line ultra-lite" has as many non-vented models as they do models with vented range hoods....

Seems, on some, it sort of depends on what's on the shelf and if there's no aluminum stud in the way, but I know that's not a "Keystone policy"...

Sort of a "Goshen urban legend" in the same category as why TK's on some brands and Goodride on others ???

As for "RVIA standards", as far as I know, there's never been a requirement that gas ranges have a "vented to the outside" range hood. And, on current model trailers, about half do and half don't.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-03-2022, 07:12 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Sticks & bricks homes have used ventless (recirculating) hoods for many decades. As John stated there are no RIVA recommendation for exterior venting and unless a manufactured home has a BOCA certificate not all national codes are required as it's not considered a permenant structure.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 08:41 AM   #20
zalewskim

If cooking fumes or steam repeatedly set off nuisance alarms in the kitchen, install a smoke detector with a “hush” button, like the BRK Electronics 9120 Smoke Alarm. The hush button reduces the alarm’s sensitivity for a short period of time.
zalewskim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade, vent