Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2022, 07:22 AM   #1
alku1

Replace original tires on my 2020 Keystone Cougar?

We just got a 2020 Keystone cougar half-ton 29 MBS which has the original Trailer King tires on:
ST225/75R 15E / Trailer King RST / 47/19

Tread level seems very good, but Im not sure how much I trust these tires. Also they are 2,5 yrs old and Im really wondering if we should replace them before embarking on our 6 month cross country roadtrip through the states (April - Sept).

Also the load rating has minimal margin lookign at GAWR and GVWR of the trailer. Does it make sense to upgrade to a higher weight class?

Thank you in advance!
Old 01-30-2022, 07:40 AM   #2
slow

Yes and yes.

The trip will be much more enjoyable with the new tires.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:43 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There are "two upgrades" that you have available to you.

One is to upgrade the existing tires to a more reliable brand with a better reputation. The other is to change out your 15" wheels/tires for 16" wheels/tires. There is a third, 15" steel carcass tires, but finding them and then finding wheels rated for them is somewhere between daunting and impossible...

So, to stay with ST225/75R 15E tires, either Carlisle Radial Trail HD or Goodyear Endurance will give you tires with a better reputation in the same size and with the same load ratings.

If you upgrade to 16" 6 lug wheels, you can increase tire size and also increase load rating capacity. The pitfall is whether your trailer suspension allow enough clearance in the wheelwells for the larger tire diameter.

The 29MBS is marketed as a "lightweight trailer" but in reality, with an 11,000 pound GVW, it's anything but that. Having been built with 15" wheels and their limitations, was, in my opinion, more of a "it works on paper, let's hope it works in practice" than "sound engineering practice"... But, since I don't make any "Keystone decisions" they didn't ask my opinion... What you're facing right now is one of the reasons I didn't consider any larger trailer in the Cougar half ton lineup. They simply aren't built to support the weight they have to carry...

I know that doesn't solve your concerns, but the two options, buy tires that are more reliably built or upgrade to larger wheels/tires, looks to me to be the only two "logical solutions"... Finding 15" steel cased tires and wheels that can support them, IMO, just moves the problem to the axles which are likely rated at 4400 pounds each. I'm in the process of changing out my axles (trailer GVWR is 10K) this spring because of the same problems you're facing.

If I were you, I'd upgrade to Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST225/75R 15E and keep them at maximum pressure, under 70MPH and protect them from any sunlight damage. Don't forget the spare !!!! And if you do have a flat/blowout, replace BOTH tires on that side because by the time you get stopped, the "good tire on that side" has been critically overloaded and will probably fail within 100 miles or so.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:04 AM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are "two upgrades" that you have available to you.

One is to upgrade the existing tires to a more reliable brand with a better reputation. The other is to change out your 15" wheels/tires for 16" wheels/tires. There is a third, 15" steel carcass tires, but finding them and then finding wheels rated for them is somewhere between daunting and impossible...

So, to stay with ST225/75R 15E tires, either Carlisle Radial Trail HD or Goodyear Endurance will give you tires with a better reputation in the same size and with the same load ratings.

If you upgrade to 16" 6 lug wheels, you can increase tire size and also increase load rating capacity. The pitfall is whether your trailer suspension allow enough clearance in the wheelwells for the larger tire diameter.

The 29MBS is marketed as a "lightweight trailer" but in reality, with an 11,000 pound GVW, it's anything but that. Having been built with 15" wheels and their limitations, was, in my opinion, more of a "it works on paper, let's hope it works in practice" than "sound engineering practice"... But, since I don't make any "Keystone decisions" they didn't ask my opinion... What you're facing right now is one of the reasons I didn't consider any larger trailer in the Cougar half ton lineup. They simply aren't built to support the weight they have to carry...

I know that doesn't solve your concerns, but the two options, buy tires that are more reliably built or upgrade to larger wheels/tires, looks to me to be the only two "logical solutions"... Finding 15" steel cased tires and wheels that can support them, IMO, just moves the problem to the axles which are likely rated at 4400 pounds each. I'm in the process of changing out my axles (trailer GVWR is 10K) this spring because of the same problems you're facing.

If I were you, I'd upgrade to Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST225/75R 15E and keep them at maximum pressure, under 70MPH and protect them from any sunlight damage. Don't forget the spare !!!! And if you do have a flat/blowout, replace BOTH tires on that side because by the time you get stopped, the "good tire on that side" has been critically overloaded and will probably fail within 100 miles or so.....
Another option if upgrading to 16” wheels is to install LT truck tires. While a lower weight rating for the same size of tire a far more stout tire.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:07 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

We changed our tires out in 2021 on our 2019 model built in 2018. The tread was worn even and there were no signs of distress, overall they probably had another season left in them. But…….they were Trailer Kings, they were 3 years old based on the date code and I had no desire to deal with a potential blow-out in the middle of one of our long multi-week summer camping excursions.
Blow-outs can happen to any brand of tire at any age and any mileage, but there are some more prone to it.

The key factor here is that you just got the trailer, so it sounds like it was pre-owned, and you have no idea how the tires were cared for previously. I am the original owner so I know I kept them at specified pressure, stayed within speed rating and was never overloaded, or hit giant potholes that might prematurely age the tires, and then of course there is the fact that they are Trailer Kings…..

Carlisle makes a reputable tire, as does Sailun. My personal choice was Goodyear Endurance that I got for a great price through TireRack. The date codes were only a month old, so they were current and the stiffer sidewall helped handling over the TK’s.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:18 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by alku1 View Post
We just got a 2020 Keystone cougar half-ton 29 MBS which has the original Trailer King tires

Tread level seems very good, but Im not sure how much I trust these tires. Also they are 2,5 yrs old and Im really wondering if we should replace them before embarking on our 6 month cross country roadtrip through the states (April - Sept).

Thank you in advance!
When referring to trailer/rv tires the tread wear is not nearly as important as age, most will age out long before they wear out.
Those TK tires have a very poor reputation, yours are 2.5 years old, don't risk running them another mile, other than to the tire dealer.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:24 AM   #7
alku1

Thanks everyone! Glad everyone confirmed my gutfeeling ;-)
Now the next question. What do you recommend where to get them?

We have until early March until we pick up the trailer. What are the best stores/tireshops to shop at?
Old 01-30-2022, 01:44 PM   #8
CWtheMan

There is no valid reason for you to change tires sizes. If you're wanting something more durable there are steel cased LRF tires in; your designated size. There is at least a half dozen brands building them.

The ST tire industry, as a whole, has made it a priority to build tires that conform to USTMA and vehicle manufacturer standards.

This is a USTMA and vehicle manufacturer standard, verbatim. "To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires, or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer. "

ST225/75R15 is a designated tire size. It is manufactured with at least four different load capacities: LRC, LRD, LRE and LRF. Load range is not a part of a tire's designated size.

Your vehicle certification label will have a Maximum PSI value rot the size and load range the OE tires provided. By going to a higher load range, you do not invalidate your certification label. You will be just providing tires of the same size but with a higher load capacity limit. The hook is with the wheel valve stems and psi value - if there is one. The wheels do not have to provide a load capacity higher than they have been designed for. The vehicle manufacturer has determined their limit with GAWR limits.

Most here know I don't endorse brands. However, Carlisle seems to be one of these forums favorite brands and they are building a steel cased ST225/75R15 LRF: https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl16/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:50 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Buy them where they're cheapest and you can get them serviced.

WalMart has the best Carlisle RTHD pricing I've found. Often Discount Tire will price match. So that's worth a try. WalMart typically does not work on travel trailer tires, so you'll probably need to take the wheels/tires in for them to service. DT does swap tires on trailers, so IF THE SPECIFIC TIRE CENTER HAS MANEUVERING SPACE, that's a plus. Don't be fooled into thinking you can get a trailer into every tire center. You can't !!!!! Check it out first before you hitch up and get surprised !!!!!

WalMart's price on Carlisle Radial Trail HD 225 75R15 LRE is currently $96.53 each. When I bought mine in September, 2021, they were $81 per tire.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...Rated/55012166

Goodyear Endurance, with the same specifications and load ratings are typically about $50 more per tire. IMO, that expense is more a personal choice than a "better tire choice".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-30-2022, 02:02 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I will also endorse the Carlisle tires. Put them on my last trailer after a TK blew at the end or the 1st year causing 7k in damages. Never gave me a minutes trouble. I wouldn't dream of beginning a 6mo. trip with TK tires.....or 6 miles.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 02:02 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
There is no valid reason for you to change tires sizes. If you're wanting something more durable there are steel cased LRF tires in; your designated size. There is at least a half dozen brands building them.

The ST tire industry, as a whole, has made it a priority to build tires that conform to USTMA and vehicle manufacturer standards.

This is a USTMA and vehicle manufacturer standard, verbatim. "To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires, or another size recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire dealer. "

ST225/75R15 is a designated tire size. It is manufactured with at least four different load capacities: LRC, LRD, LRE and LRF. Load range is not a part of a tire's designated size.

Your vehicle certification label will have a Maximum PSI value rot the size and load range the OE tires provided. By going to a higher load range, you do not invalidate your certification label. You will be just providing tires of the same size but with a higher load capacity limit. The hook is with the wheel valve stems and psi value - if there is one. The wheels do not have to provide a load capacity higher than they have been designed for. The vehicle manufacturer has determined their limit with GAWR limits.

Most here know I don't endorse brands. However, Carlisle seems to be one of these forums favorite brands and they are building a steel cased ST225/75R15 LRF: https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...-detail/csl16/
Cal,

Can you provide a link to wheels that are capable of supporting the LRF steel case tires in 15" size ??? I've not yet found a wheel capable of supporting them that looks even acceptable on a travel trailer... If you know of any wheels, could you provide a link ??? THANKS

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-30-2022, 05:16 PM   #12
mikec557

A picture can say a 1000 words...

But let me add. This is the Trailer King spare tire on our 2020 Cougar 26RBSWE. It's about 2.5 years old. It was never used. I looked at it about 2 weeks earlier when I topped off the air pressure before a trip. There was no VISUAL defect.

Whichever tire brand you go with, buy 5 (assuming you have two axles).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211226_130708880.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	38153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211226_130729501.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	38154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220108_145121954~2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	38155  
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:21 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
A picture can say a 1000 words...

But let me add. This is the Trailer King spare tire on our 2020 Cougar 26RBSWE. It's about 2.5 years old. It was never used. I looked at it about 2 weeks earlier when I topped off the air pressure before a trip. There was no VISUAL defect.

Whichever tire brand you go with, buy 5 (assuming you have two axles).
That tire was never mounted on an axle? That is scary!
Old 01-30-2022, 07:37 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
That tire was never mounted on an axle? That is scary!
There have been 3 or 4 members who have posted that they had the same "unused spare tire exploded" experience. He's not the first and they've all been TK's.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-30-2022, 08:03 PM   #15
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If I were you, I'd upgrade to Carlisle Radial Trail HD ST225/75R 15E and keep them at maximum pressure, under 70MPH and protect them from any sunlight damage. Don't forget the spare !!!!

Just an FYI John, those Carisle Radial Trail HDs in that size are speed rated at 81 mph (speed rating M; I have a set on mine), so it's not a problem to cruise at 70 mph with those.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:40 PM   #16
rhagfo

Well our 2005 Copper Canyon came from the factory with LT 235/85-16E’s the oem’s were branded Tacoma. We. Finally replaced in the spring of 2017 with a set Yokohama YK-HTX LT 235/85-16E’s still running strong.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:14 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Just an FYI John, those Carisle Radial Trail HDs in that size are speed rated at 81 mph (speed rating M; I have a set on mine), so it's not a problem to cruise at 70 mph with those.
You're also running a trailer with a GVWR of 7750 pounds. The recommendation was for the same tires that you have on your trailer, but installed on a fifth wheel with an 11,000 GVWR... that extra 800 pounds of weight per tire puts a tremendous amount of additional stress on the tires. They may be rated at 81MPH during the first year, but at the weight he's towing, in the second/third year, keeping it under 70MPH with the load is a recommendation that wouldn't affect you and your trailer tires.... Not so for this situation, the shipping weight on his empty trailer is 1010 pounds more than your GVWR... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-31-2022, 12:48 PM   #18
RJS

I lost a Trailer King tire on my new 29MBS with under 1000 miles on it. I was going to wait a year before I replaced them.. That was a mistake.

Luckily because it was within the 1st year all damage was covered by Warranty.
Ripped up the underside of the slide out and also about 8 feet of the skirt.
I got 5 new tires before continuing my trip.

So you have good advice from the more senior members and it looks like your doing the right thing to replace them.

You would think that if they have to cover the repair on these they would put halfway decent tires on the to start with..

Wish they would put heaver duty axels and tires on or would offer them as an option to get the load rating and carry capacity higher. I would have gladly paid more for that option.

Good traveling and have a Happy Lunar New Year to all
RJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:14 PM   #19
Ibdagriz

I went with these..

MAXXIS TIRE
M8008 ST
ST225 /75 R15 117 E1 BSW

Griz
Houston, TX
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:20 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS View Post
I lost a Trailer King tire on my new 29MBS with under 1000 miles on it. I was going to wait a year before I replaced them.. That was a mistake.

Luckily because it was within the 1st year all damage was covered by Warranty.
Ripped up the underside of the slide out and also about 8 feet of the skirt.
I got 5 new tires before continuing my trip.

So you have good advice from the more senior members and it looks like your doing the right thing to replace them.

You would think that if they have to cover the repair on these they would put halfway decent tires on the to start with..

Wish they would put heaver duty axels and tires on or would offer them as an option to get the load rating and carry capacity higher. I would have gladly paid more for that option.

Good traveling and have a Happy Lunar New Year to all
I suspect you would gladly pay more now but I doubt you would have before finding out what you know now. That's why they don't put on better or higher capacity components. The average buyer doesn't know the difference and would question "why do charge more for the same trailer as your competitor?". It's a tight competition where the average purchaser is totaly in the dark about most things related to the camper. Many folks don't even realize that their tow vehichle is inadequate until someone informs them.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, keystone, tires