Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2022, 12:10 PM   #1
43acres

KeyTV Issues

Just purchased a Montana High Country fifth wheel. Getting ready for our first trip so I tried to connect the Dish tailgater and test the satellite. I hooked it up per the KeyTV instructions, which is no different than our previous fifth wheel. After a couple of attempts, I took the plate off of the outside KeyTV location to check connections. There wasn't a "tan" wire connected to send the signal to the living room tv, thus no satellite. I have to wander how they will fix this when I take it to the dealer next week? Anyone else have a similar issue?
43acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 02:38 PM   #2
ChuckS

So what is the color of the coax that runs to that TV at is wall plate for the SAT receiver to connect to? I’d look at that and then see if they mis connected down at the KeyTV module box

If however there is NO coax run from the TV Wall plate SAT connections that’s a different issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FD879C1E-7E80-45E5-B318-52E5AD0A064E.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	38124  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:20 PM   #3
43acres

Notice there is no "tan" wire connected to tv2, which is the main tv per the KeyTV diagram (also attached). Also notice that they used 2 grey wires instead of a white one. Somebody didn't put this together very well. Might have been a Friday!!!!

I hope the photos uploaded!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220129_164707282.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	38127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220129_130218176_BURST001.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	38128  
Old 01-29-2022, 03:47 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

What color coax is physically connected "at the back of the main TV" (in the living area)???

Based on that, you should be able to determine which coax at the KeyTV box feeds that TV.

If it is any color but gray, you know which is which at the KeyTV box. If it's gray, use an ohmmeter, check for continuity as you short the other end of the coax (removed from the main TV). If as you short/open that end, the ohmmeter will show "infinity/open" on the meter. That will identify the correct cable at the KeyTV box.

Once you determine the color and the specific coax, then connect that to the TV-2 connector and it should feed the signal to that TV. Actually, unless you're trying to "backfeed from a specific TV location, all 4 connectors "should feed an active signal to all connected TV appliances".

If you don't get a satellite signal after doing this, then run a direct cable from the satellite receiver to the main TV, If it works, you've probably got a splitter somewhere along the original coax that doesn't play well with satellite signals.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:22 AM   #5
lonerider98

I just got a 2022 Cougar with the keytv cannot get any channels over the air. Also cannot get anything from my dish playmaker. I've pulled the panel in the wet bay and all the coax is tight. Pulled the plate off at the main TV also tan coax and tight. Anywhere else to check?
lonerider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:29 AM   #6
ChuckS

Assuming the Blew LED is lit up? If so then most likely you have a failed KeyTV multi source controller....

However... use this TS guide and see if you've missed something....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Key TV MSSC Troubleshooting Guide.pdf (1.73 MB, 417 views)

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:49 PM   #7
43acres

Partly fixed

I now have satellite to the living room after the dealer replaced the Key TV controller and ran a new coax to the living room. My question is, should the Key TV controller send the same signal to the bedroom TV? I'm wanting to watch the satellite in the bedroom too. Thanks
Old 05-28-2022, 01:02 AM   #8
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43acres View Post
I now have satellite to the living room after the dealer replaced the Key TV controller and ran a new coax to the living room. My question is, should the Key TV controller send the same signal to the bedroom TV? I'm wanting to watch the satellite in the bedroom too. Thanks
I think you will need a separate satellite receiver or you can get this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and a long HDMI cable and run it to the bedroom. You can either pick up a second remote or if you set up the one you have to RF and move it between rooms.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:20 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

I don't have satellite so I'll share what limited knowledge I have. There are several ways to share the output of the satellite box. The HDMI splitter is one, you can also buy a device to change the output to CAT5 cable for the cable run. If your satellite decoder has a standard coax output you may be able to slit it.

I may be completly wrong but the only option I'm aware of that would not require you to either move the satellite box to the bedroom or run another wire would be an RF transmitter/reciever to connect a wireless TV or monitor. Of course they are expensive. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote