Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2022, 09:13 AM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinDFW View Post
We carry two 70+ pounds (each) RAD ebikes on our flimsy rear bumper of our Montana 3811MS, but only after installing a pair of bumper reinforcement brackets and a bolt-on 2” receiver hitch. I use a Holllywood 2-Bike Fat Tire bike rack. We have traveled over 10K miles with no issues. Our trailer is just over 40’ and the rack adds another 2.5’ or so.
Just keep a very close eye on that flimsy bumper!
Those reinforcement brackets may have reinforced the welds, most likely just moved the stress point over a bit, but did absolutely NOTHING to the center section of that flimsy thin walled bumper where you attached the bolt on hitch + 140lbs of bikes + the bike rack weight.
Your $$ on the brackets & bolt on hitch would've been wiser spent on a frame mounted receiver!
Rv ladders & bumpers WERE NOT designed to have items attached to them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:06 AM   #22
Ram Nation

Our Alpine rear ladder works great at holding our 8 foot aluminum A frame. keep it attached with hangers and ratchet strap. Our frame mounted 300 lb hitch works great also at holding our bumper rack with 12000 btu mini split condenser on it.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:45 AM   #23
jawsmon

Sounds like you know what you're doing. Keep it up and happy camping.
Personally, I tend to lean to the 'overkill' side of things to stay on the safe side. I don't like to push things to the limit.
jawsmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Nation View Post
Our Alpine rear ladder works great at holding our 8 foot aluminum A frame. keep it attached with hangers and ratchet strap. Our frame mounted 300 lb hitch works great also at holding our bumper rack with 12 Ton mini split condenser on it.
12 tons of cooling? That's 144,000 btu!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #25
Ram Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
12 tons of cooling? That's 144,000 btu!
You are right Sir, I had my head up my you know what? I meant to say 12,000 btu AUX Mini split system. Thanks for the correction. Must be this polar invasion today from Canada. Brrrr
Old 02-03-2022, 12:34 PM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinDFW View Post
We carry two 70+ pounds (each) RAD ebikes on our flimsy rear bumper of our Montana 3811MS, but only after installing a pair of bumper reinforcement brackets and a bolt-on 2” receiver hitch. I use a Holllywood 2-Bike Fat Tire bike rack. We have traveled over 10K miles with no issues. Our trailer is just over 40’ and the rack adds another 2.5’ or so.
Well that’s good for you …glad it’s working out..so far
I’d be a nervous wreck lol

I see people driving with donut spares doing 60 miles an hour and weaving in and out of traffic..they probably think they are ok also because nothing bad happened…doesn’t make it the best idea

Bet that would cause an accident when it breaks loose in traffic…oh well

Welcome to the forum! ..I don’t know ..me I just stick with what the seasoned forum members suggest because I trust experience

And I seen a video of bikes dragging from a broken bumper behind a fifth wheel

Good luck and happy camping
Old 02-03-2022, 01:47 PM   #27
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Nation View Post
You are right Sir, I had my head up my you know what? I meant to say 12,000 btu AUX Mini split system. Thanks for the correction. Must be this polar invasion today from Canada. Brrrr
OK, I am curious; I have a 14K BTU portable I exhaust out a window to augment my 15K BTU Dometic Brisk II on the roof. I can't imagine, in my camper where I would mount the inside unit. If I had space for the inside unit, I might consider a minisplit rather than the portable as the portable isn't as effective as a minisplit just like a portable isn't as effective as a window mounted unit. I do stay in parks that won't allow window units plus I think they are not real pretty.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:31 PM   #28
Ram Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
OK, I am curious; I have a 14K BTU portable I exhaust out a window to augment my 15K BTU Dometic Brisk II on the roof. I can't imagine, in my camper where I would mount the inside unit. If I had space for the inside unit, I might consider a minisplit rather than the portable as the portable isn't as effective as a minisplit just like a portable isn't as effective as a window mounted unit. I do stay in parks that won't allow window units plus I think they are not real pretty.
George I don't know how state parks would view an installation like this but I installed this in my Alpine. Did all the work myself including the vacuuming down of the condenser outside unit. My unit out the door from a Hvac warehouse here was 425.00. It's rated at 12000 btu. I installed the evaporator head in our rear living space above the rear couch in an existing bookcase type enclosure. Mounted the condenser on my rear hitch cargo carrier. Total cost of mini split, cargo carrier and outside hose wire cover was 596.00. I rented a vacuum pump from a local auto parts store. I ran the 14 gauge wire from my drier breaker to power it. Anybody that says their not efficient or too expensive to install should investigate the facts further. Best investment I've done on our RV to date. Iv'e noticed a few others down here with basically the same setup. Hardest part is figuring out where to mount it. My option was easy compared to others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AUX Condenser .jpg
Views:	137
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	38207   Click image for larger version

Name:	AUX Evaporator .jpg
Views:	123
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	38208  
Old 02-03-2022, 02:44 PM   #29
jasin1

That looks like it could work….is there any movement at all between the bumper and the line set on the wall? The only long term concern I’d have is developing a leak at the flare fittings if there were any vibration or movement while traveling.

They make a short high pressure hose that replaces a section of the line set….it’s usually used at the indoor wall mount unit to make it easier to connect in tight spots or tight line set turns..around a $100 for suction and liquid line..I’d install it on the condenser side to act as a flex joint to alleviate that movement ( there has to be some even if you don’t see it )

I’m a hvac contractor and have installed many minisplits but none on a vehicle

Nice job thinking outside the box
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	685E4E9E-2425-4384-BC0F-5985997A90C7.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	38210  
Old 02-03-2022, 02:59 PM   #30
Ram Nation

Name:	AUX.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	38220Thanks appreciate the compliment. I have only moved our 5th wheel once since the install and it was to move to a different RV park approx 20 miles. I have the compressor bolted to my carrier and also a bracket to the ladder to prevent movement of the unit. There is no bumper its a frame mount receiver. I also have rubber bushings for the compressor units mounts. I was worried about my move but made sure the inside evap unit and outside were mounted to eliminate movement. The rubber hoses you mention would be a great addition if you were moving your RV a lot. I don't plan on a move unless a hurricane or bad storm. My unit pulls about 8 amps on high cool and a normal 4 to 6 draw when idling as i call it. Haven't had to add Freon yet, knock on wood. If a person can get it to fit their unit I think it is a no brainer. Again thanks for the response. Here is one more picture of the inside install for a better look at size of unit.

Tags
bike, bike rack, ladder, rack