Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2022, 05:56 PM   #1
Papadod7

Electrical system help

We own a 2007 keystone copper canyon. Here is our condition:

The batteries that came with our trailer died in the first month of owning. We bought new ones and the electrical system worked fine. Now electrical system works about half the time. About half the time it will work, with a appliances. Other times only the lights will work. Other times the heaters will work and the lights will be very dim. Other times the circuit breaks every 15 minutes. We built a shelter around the batteries and heated them, and that worked temporarily. But now the whole system will work only for 30 minutes at a time. The battery reader inside the RV reads that the battery level is empty or at 1/3 strength at all times.

We are plugged into 30amp shore power. What could the issue be? Is it possible to bypass the batteries altogether since we are hooked up to shore power? Should I change the converter?

Help!
Papadod7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:35 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

I would find the converter and test the output. It should read 13+ VDC. If it’s seperate from the fuse panel, it will have 2 reverse polarity fuses and they should be checked also.

That’s a start, others may chime in with more.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
jasin1

Check your receptacle and line voltage where you plug in your shore power.. could be a loose wire connection in the receptacle or loose fitting plug for the receptacle
Old 01-03-2022, 06:49 PM   #4
jasin1

Also think i remember in the past that wiredgeorge had a bad shore power cable where it connects to the rv
Old 01-04-2022, 06:00 AM   #5
skids

Residential voltage can go wacky when the transformer on the pole is “searching for neutral.” One phase will be too high of voltage and the other will be too low and it can swap as current usage changes. Check out the breaker phases in the house (usually left vs. right side) and call the power company right away if there is an issue.

PS, I don’t pretend to be an electrician.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:20 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadod7 View Post
We own a 2007 keystone copper canyon.what model #? Here is our condition:

The batteries that came with our trailer died in the first month of owning. was this a recent purchase or in 2007?We bought new ones and the electrical system worked fine. two 12v or two 6 volt?Now electrical system works about half the time. what system? The 12vdc or the 120vac?About half the time it will work, with a appliances. Other times only the lights will work. Other times the heaters what heaters? The furnace? Space heaters? Tank heaters? Or???will work and the lights will be very dim. Other times the circuit breaks every 15 minutes what "circuit"?. We built a shelter around the batteries and heated them, and that worked temporarily. But now the whole system will work only for 30 minutes at a time. The battery reader inside the RV reads that the battery level is empty or at 1/3 strength at all times.

We are plugged into 30amp shore power.Is the trailer 30 amp 120 vac or 50 amp plugged into 30? What could the issue be? Is it possible to bypass the batteries altogether since we are hooked up to shore power? Should I change the converter?

Help!
There's a lot to unpack here and I have more questions than answers. I beleive in 2007 that model came in travel trailer and in fifth wheels versions. See my questions above in red. When you replaced the batteries are you certian you reconnected the cables correctly? In older model Keystones the battery cables were black and white, NOT black and red.

The black cable is positive and the white is negative to ground. If you reverse the polarity 2 fuses in the power distribution panel will instantly blow to protect the converter. This will make the converter shut off and not charge the batteries. First confirm the battery connections are correct then check for blown "reverse polarity fuses". Typically the are two fuses off to the side, usually 30 amp. They may be on the converter itself behind or near the breaker panel.

I know this is lengthy but I don't know how to make it any more consice without sending you on a "wild goose chase".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical