Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2021, 07:29 AM   #1
pdoug

Alcan Highway

Has anyone pulled their TT up the Alcan to Alaska? The roads in Canada and in Alaska are fraught with issues from frost heaves to heavy road construction, sometimes requiring you to haul your TT on dirt and gravel sections. Keystone and Lippert have refused frame warranty claims on TT's used in Alaska, calling the road conditions as "off road use".

The 2022 Cougar 25RDS has a lot of positive features and we would like to pursue the purchase as long as it will hold up to this type of use. This will be our fifth TT and we are towing with a 2003 F250 7.3 diesel. I am familiar with weight and balance and I am a big fan of weigh stations to help me determine my weight, distribution as well as my CGVW.

We have a home in Anchorage and we have towed another brand to Alaska from Kentucky with few issues. We want to purchase a 2022 Cougar RDS and take it to Alaska with us in April, however I have read a few threads about the frames on the lighter Keystone TT's being under engineered and the frame folding/collapsing. The fix appears to require a welder to reinforce the frame.

We appreciate any input and advice on the frame strength on the Cougar TT's.

Phil Douglas
Currently in Knoxville TN
pdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:55 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoug View Post
Has anyone pulled their TT up the Alcan to Alaska? The roads in Canada and in Alaska are fraught with issues from frost heaves to heavy road construction, sometimes requiring you to haul your TT on dirt and gravel sections. Keystone and Lippert have refused frame warranty claims on TT's used in Alaska, calling the road conditions as "off road use".

The 2022 Cougar 25RDS has a lot of positive features and we would like to pursue the purchase as long as it will hold up to this type of use. This will be our fifth TT and we are towing with a 2003 F250 7.3 diesel. I am familiar with weight and balance and I am a big fan of weigh stations to help me determine my weight, distribution as well as my CGVW.

We have a home in Anchorage and we have towed another brand to Alaska from Kentucky with few issues. We want to purchase a 2022 Cougar RDS and take it to Alaska with us in April, however I have read a few threads about the frames on the lighter Keystone TT's being under engineered and the frame folding/collapsing. The fix appears to require a welder to reinforce the frame.

Phil Douglas
Sounds like quite the trip…Jim from Memphis ( notanlines) I believe has made the trip but I think he purchased a smaller TT for this purpose…I’d at least take extra tires and a portable welder in case of suspension welds breaking in the back country
Old 12-31-2021, 09:36 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Unless someone is decent as a welder, suspect a cold weld would not be helpful. Someone mentioned putting the RV on a ferry to avoid Canadian covid related issues and although the ferry would be kind of pricey, beating up a new camper and dealing with shifting regulation going through Canada might make it worth it. There are "adventure" trailers out there with much more robust components that would have a better chance of staying together if you decide it makes sense to haul a trailer. I have a friend who told me that where he lives in Canada, roads are out and will be out for months due to weather and I suspect shortfalls in work crews.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:51 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoug View Post

Phil Douglas
If the frame is your concern I think I'd pass hauling any make, model or brand of rv to Alaska. Lippert supplies the frames for the majority of all rvs built, especially all of the Thor family of rvs (which is 85%+ of all rvs). If that particular TT has a problem so will nearly every other one on the market.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:39 AM   #5
jasin1

This popped up today about Alaska roads
Old 01-10-2022, 07:44 PM   #6
gearhead

I'm wanting to go bad. I don't want to drag the 40ft Landmark though. The Bigfoot is made for it. Looking like it will be next year with all the covid issues.
Im thinking I'll have a note pinned on me in my coffin: I'll do it next year.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:54 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I'm wanting to go bad. I don't want to drag the 40ft Landmark though. The Bigfoot is made for it. Looking like it will be next year with all the covid issues.
Im thinking I'll have a note pinned on me in my coffin: I'll do it next year.

You and me both! Hopefully I can at least make the list shorter than it is right now! If I'd stop watching the CFB championship I'd probably have a better chance at surviving longer vs having a heart attack sitting here.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:56 PM   #8
fjr vfr

First I'd upgrade to the next higher load range tire. Carry at least two spares. Install some Sumo Springs on the trailer. And finally just take it easy and you should be okay.
Just an fyi my trailer Sumo Springs make a big difference on rough roads.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:38 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

The Alkan Highway was always a desire I had since my youth. I've given up on the idea after 7 cervical spine surgeries. Had to become realistic and resort to Alaskan cruise ships. I must say the food is better on the boat!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:44 AM   #10
gearhead

If I'd stop watching the stock market and political TV shows I would have a lot less stress.
Todays list is to trim low limbs on my trees and maybe mow the grass. Maybe that will get my mind off politics and the stock market.
Marshall, I was discussing with Betty last night about me driving from home to Knoxville Iowa with the Bigfoot for sprint car races. Told her I had planned my first stop after 10 hours driving. She told me that would kill my back. After some thought I agreed and backed it down to 8 hours. Three back surgeries with a titanium plate in my neck.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 01-11-2022, 06:52 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
If I'd stop watching the stock market and political TV shows I would have a lot less stress.
Todays list is to trim low limbs on my trees and maybe mow the grass. Maybe that will get my mind off politics and the stock market.
Marshall, I was discussing with Betty last night about me driving from home to Knoxville Iowa with the Bigfoot for sprint car races. Told her I had planned my first stop after 10 hours driving. She told me that would kill my back. After some thought I agreed and backed it down to 8 hours. Three back surgeries with a titanium plate in my neck.
I constantly tell the DW to take me to the metal recyclers when I die. I'm fused from C2 to T1 and now have wires from a battery in my cheek (not the one in my face) going up my back into my cervical spine. Like my father used to say about cars, it's not the age it's the mileage. Unfortunately I'm a high mileage unit.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:02 PM   #12
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I constantly tell the DW to take me to the metal recyclers when I die. I'm fused from C2 to T1 and now have wires from a battery in my cheek (not the one in my face) going up my back into my cervical spine. Like my father used to say about cars, it's not the age it's the mileage. Unfortunately I'm a high mileage unit.
You have had some work done.
I was fused lower back 1993, plate in my neck in 2004, and arthritis cleaned out
in 2010, I think.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 01-13-2022, 07:33 PM   #13
gearhead

Surprised my self today. Got on the road at 630am to Louisiana, not towing, and got home about 8pm. Wore my back belt and was driving all day except for an hour or so. Feel OK.
May be in better shape than I thought.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 01-16-2022, 08:39 AM   #14
Spock123

I took my Cedar Creek fifth wheel in 2017 that I pulled with a 2012 Silverado 3500 SRW and had no problems with the camper or the truck. Well the truck did give a poor quality def fluid but it went away. No problem with the tires, I didn’t take extra tires. Diesel fuel was high in Canada but not real high, in Chicken AK the diesel was high but gasoline was higher. I wanted to go back this year but the virus took care of that. We had a great time. One place I brought diesel at the price was a $1.99 a liter, I kept on pumping. The frost heaves in Canada were well marked not so in Alaska. We crossed the border in the middle of April. When I go back I’m going to stay longer
Spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:48 AM   #15
Chuckers

Made the trip in 2017. 30' travel trailer. There were 3 areas in Yukon Territory that were being repaired. 2 of them were so long they had a "follow me" truck. Came back the same way until Prince George, BC. where there were fires that closed the road. Had to detour around. Only problem was a cracked windshield in Dawsons Creek on the way up. Waited until I was home to have it replaced.
It was a 6 month epic trip.

Have fun.
Chuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:06 AM   #16
Spock123

I sure would like to stay 6 months but 3 months is about all I can stay. I didn’t go to Dawson City. I also want to ride halfway on the Dalton Highway. I have a 2021 GMC Denali 3500 dually now. I wish I still had the Silverado it was paid for
Spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:18 AM   #17
drycamper

I posted this thread back in 2020. Just add it to your thoughts.

Beware..... frame cracks
Old 01-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #18
Simslock

I live in Alberta and I have been on the highway a number of times with my Alpine and never had any issues. It is paved to Whitehorse and from there you can pick your route to Alaska. Drive the road conditions and keep the fuel topped up.
Not like the old days at all.
Simslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:56 AM   #19
claymation

If you would rather, you can ferry your camper from Washington State to Anchorage, Alaska and then drive the Alcan to meet it. My dad did this 35 years ago in a cross country trek from Virginia.
claymation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:57 AM   #20
claymation

Of course, I think the roads were a lot worse back then.
claymation is offline   Reply With Quote