Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2021, 07:43 AM   #1
Midwesterner

Slide roof question

Hello. I've been going through our (new to us) trailer to get it ready for spring, General cleaning, going through systems etc..

I found a nail through the roof membrane on the slide. I have no idea how long it has been there or how it happened.. It appears the damage is on the part that stays "inside" I'd appreciate some suggestions for those of you that have more experience. What kind of repair should I be attempting? Repair tape? Sealant? I believe it is an Alpha roof. Thanks for any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211211_160257.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	37501  
Midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
Lee

Hi,

I would remove the nail, clean area with Fantastic cleaning, let dry, then apply Dicor self leveling sealant to the holes.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I knew a guy once that used 16 penny nails where a tiny finishing nail was called for, or, the question would arise on WHY anyone would use a nail horizontally on a roof membrane?? I figure it was up there and the retraction/extension of the slide just "pushed" it through the membrane. Speaking of the membrane; if you don't know what it is (EPDM/TPO) just pull the bathroom skylight trim ring, pull down a corner of the material and look at it. White on black - EPDM, all white(ish) - TPO.

As far as the damage, I can't tell where exactly that nail is in reference to the slide orientation. You said it seems to be on the portion that stays inside all the time but it sure is dirty with leaves etc. looking like it stays outside the body of the trailer??

Depending on the location of the nail damage you could use an Eternabond patch, a splotch of Dicor self leveling sealant or something else along those lines. You don't want it to grab on the slide seals if it is in a position to do that.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at the stains on the roofing material, it looks like there's a slide seal that rides over the space where the nail has penetrated the membrane. I would not apply DICOR (or any other sealant) over that area. Sealant seldom "fully cures" and any rubber seal that lays in contact with it will adhere to the roof. If (when) that happens, the next time you extend the slide, the seal will probably pull out of its mount and "go with the slide"...

First, unless you or a previous owner has a habit of using a pneumatic nailer in that area, that's probably a "left over bonus from the factory". I don't know of any owners that use pneumatic nailers in that kind of space, so it's probably a long ago kind of damage. This is the kind of damage that EternaBond tape was formulated to repair. Remove the nail, do your best to inspect the underlying OSB to try to determine if there is any water damage. I wouldn't cut the membrane to do an inspection, but if there's "spongy OSB" under the membrane, you should be able to feel the difference in how it compresses. If the OSB along the corner "feels OK", I'd assume that it's not wet or rotted and then apply a "appropriately sized EternaBond patch" over the damaged part of the roof.

In their "repair instructions" EternaBond recommends overlapping the damage by at least 2" in all directions, so you're looking at at least a 4x5 inch "patch". Clean it well with "non-petroleum based cleaner", let that dry well, wipe with alcohol to remove any residue from the cleaner, then apply the patch "ON A WARM DAY" and roll/press it thoroughly to assure adherance to the roof membrane. Then, let it sit (without moving the slide) for about 24-48 hours to give the EternaBond adhesive time to completely cure to the roof membrane.

I'd try to position the patch so the edges don't ride "directly over the stained part. Try to extend the patch beyond that space so the edge of the seal and the edge of the patch are not "in direct contact". That way, any "bleeding adhesive" from the EternaBond won't be "laying under the seal edges"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:19 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Remove the nail and then clean real good. I would use a little bit of Eternabond as Dicor Lap Sealant wont set up for months and will smear on the slide seals. Normally you seal the edges of the eternabond but in this case in this case I would just make sure the membrane is clean and you press the edges of the tape.

Looks like John was typing at the same time

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:25 AM   #6
Midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I knew a guy once that used 16 penny nails where a tiny finishing nail was called for, or, the question would arise on WHY anyone would use a nail horizontally on a roof membrane?? I figure it was up there and the retraction/extension of the slide just "pushed" it through the membrane. Speaking of the membrane; if you don't know what it is (EPDM/TPO) just pull the bathroom skylight trim ring, pull down a corner of the material and look at it. White on black - EPDM, all white(ish) - TPO.

As far as the damage, I can't tell where exactly that nail is in reference to the slide orientation. You said it seems to be on the portion that stays inside all the time but it sure is dirty with leaves etc. looking like it stays outside the body of the trailer??

Depending on the location of the nail damage you could use an Eternabond patch, a splotch of Dicor self leveling sealant or something else along those lines. You don't want it to grab on the slide seals if it is in a position to do that.
That's great information to know on how to tell what roof type!

Yes, it's quite dirty at the moment. We haven't really had a chance to give it a deep cleaning yet. I was surprised to see how much debris is actually on the roof inside!

Here's a better picture to get some perspective. I'm not sure why my pictures are turned sideways.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211211_160358.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	37511  
Old 12-18-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
Midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

I would remove the nail, clean area with Fantastic cleaning, let dry, then apply Dicor self leveling sealant to the holes.
Thanks Lee, good advice!

BTW, I’ve been a Ford fan for decades and really like those older 3/4t.
2022 Ram 2500 6.7 3:73
2023 Cougar 25RDS 400i
Andersen WDH
Old 12-18-2021, 08:34 AM   #8
Midwesterner

JRTJH and chuckster57, thank you for for the detailed advice! I have looked into Eternabond, I will get some on order! Everything you’re saying makes sense to me, I will try to keep the repair out of the seal’s reach.
2023 Cougar 25RDS 400i
Andersen WDH
Old 12-18-2021, 09:06 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner View Post
That's great information to know on how to tell what roof type!

Yes, it's quite dirty at the moment. We haven't really had a chance to give it a deep cleaning yet. I was surprised to see how much debris is actually on the roof inside!

Here's a better picture to get some perspective. I'm not sure why my pictures are turned sideways.

Thanks

Thanks for the additional pic. As has been mentioned, you want to use Eternabond in that place. It is going to be right along the edge of the inner and outer seals so Dicor is just going to smear all over the place.

Those interior edges of a slide can get pretty dirty if you camp in places where you accumulate lots of leaves and debris. If you camp in those types of areas you need to get up there and clean the slide off before retracting to prevent the debris from coming inside. I carried an extendable pole with a brush on it, a cordless blower and collapsible ladder to get it done. The PO apparently did not.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #10
Midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Thanks for the additional pic. As has been mentioned, you want to use Eternabond in that place. It is going to be right along the edge of the inner and outer seals so Dicor is just going to smear all over the place.

Those interior edges of a slide can get pretty dirty if you camp in places where you accumulate lots of leaves and debris. If you camp in those types of areas you need to get up there and clean the slide off before retracting to prevent the debris from coming inside. I carried an extendable pole with a brush on it, a cordless blower and collapsible ladder to get it done. The PO apparently did not.
We will definitely be camping in areas where there will be tree debris. My wife and I have put slide cleaning on our list of things to do when breaking camp. A battery powered leaf blower is now on our Christmas wishlist.
2023 Cougar 25RDS 400i
Andersen WDH
Old 12-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #11
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner View Post
We will definitely be camping in areas where there will be tree debris. My wife and I have put slide cleaning on our list of things to do when breaking camp. A battery powered leaf blower is now on our Christmas wishlist.
As others have posted, the Eternabond tape is the way to go. Prep is key. Make sure to get the area as clean as possible, then wipe well with alcohol and let dry thoroughly. Check for water damage underneath first as best you can. Once ready to apply patch make sure you are lined up how you want to apply and slowly apply flat and no wrinkles. Once that patch touches the roof, you cannot pull it up to re position. This stuff is super sticky. Push out the air from underneath and especially spend time on the edge’s of the tape since you cannot seal the edges with dicor. I use a firm, thick, plastic, putty knife for that and make sure not to push so hard that you damage the tape or roof. Let cure in warm temperatures for at least 24 hours or longer, without moving the slide. Repair should last for years. Good luck!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:03 PM   #12
Midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
As others have posted, the Eternabond tape is the way to go. Prep is key. Make sure to get the area as clean as possible, then wipe well with alcohol and let dry thoroughly. Check for water damage underneath first as best you can. Once ready to apply patch make sure you are lined up how you want to apply and slowly apply flat and no wrinkles. Once that patch touches the roof, you cannot pull it up to re position. This stuff is super sticky. Push out the air from underneath and especially spend time on the edge’s of the tape since you cannot seal the edges with dicor. I use a firm, thick, plastic, putty knife for that and make sure not to push so hard that you damage the tape or roof. Let cure in warm temperatures for at least 24 hours or longer, without moving the slide. Repair should last for years. Good luck!
Thanks. I’m planning on applying eternabond tape when it gets warmer. I appreciate the advice!
2023 Cougar 25RDS 400i
Andersen WDH

Tags
roof, slide