Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #1
kaylamarie91

2020 32bhs

Hi there my husband and i purchased a 2020 keystone cougar 32BHS. we have had nothing but problems with it and am wondering if anyone else has had problems with there campers.

our most recent problem is that when we plugged the camper into an electric source, the battery is not holding a charge nor is it charging. everything has power to the camper, we tested everything. so we took the battery out to put it on the charger to see if it would do anything.

now the camper still has power because it is plugged in but the fridge is no longer getting power to it even though it is plugged in. the microwave and tv both work and have power but everything else is not working.

is this normal?
kaylamarie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:27 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylamarie91 View Post
Hi there my husband and i purchased a 2020 keystone cougar 32BHS. we have had nothing but problems with it and am wondering if anyone else has had problems with there campers.

our most recent problem is that when we plugged the camper into an electric source, the battery is not holding a charge nor is it charging. everything has power to the camper, we tested everything. so we took the battery out to put it on the charger to see if it would do anything.

now the camper still has power because it is plugged in but the fridge is no longer getting power to it even though it is plugged in. the microwave and tv both work and have power but everything else is not working.

is this normal?

Microwave and television are AC appliances and will work just fine if your camper is connected to an AC receptacle. That AC in turn feeds your converter which turns the electricity to DC which your refrigerator requires for operation. Either you have blown fuses which are often located in your power panel, your converter is dead or malfunctioning, you have a battery cut off switch that needs to be put back into the operating mode or the battery is dead.

First - In a fifth wheel, the battery and cut off switch are generally in the front compartment. Check to see if there is a cut off switch. If not, there will be a couple of large red 40A fuses in the power center; check those. Use a multi meter to check continuity as these fuses can be difficult to check just by looking.

Second, if the battery cut off switch and fuses appear to be OK, then take the battery to an autoparts store and let them load test it as the battery may be dead. It can happen even with an almost new battery.

You are not getting DC power so these are the things I would look at first.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:01 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

The fuses Georgebis talking about are reverse polarity fuses. They will blow instantaneously if the battery cables are connected wrong. The cutoff switch from the factory does not disconnect all devices inside. There are parasitic drains such as the radio memory, CO/LP leak detector, and any bluetooth remote system such as InCommand.

It only takes about a week or so to kill a battery (especially the small one's a deal installs) and that diminishes the battery's ability to accept a charge. A few cycles of draining the battery don will render it useless. Do you own a multimeterand know how to use it?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:42 AM   #4
cougarbait

We just received a lightly used 2020 32BHS. We haven't used it yet, but a couple of things have been noticed. The transporter noted that the DS wheel well panel was being pulled out with the wind while driving, looked underneath and the flimsy L bracket had come loose. Doesn't surprise me as each end of the bracket is held in with the single zip screw. The other annoyance is there is a loose nut between the floor board and the floor covering causing a raised bump that I tripped over
We have a camping trip planned for labor day weekend, hoping that no other issues arise
cougarbait is offline   Reply With Quote