Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2021, 05:26 AM   #1
gacfl

Constant Humming and Spurting When Using City Water

Very new to RVing. Just purchased a 2021 Sprinter 3590LFT.

I have it hooked up to city water on my property. It would hum whenever a faucet was turned on. About an hour after using our electric water heater, it started humming constantly and spurts when turning on any faucet. I turned off the water heater from the inside console (just to be safe) and switched to pump to stop the humming.

Air pockets maybe? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
gacfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:58 AM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacfl View Post
Very new to RVing. Just purchased a 2021 Sprinter 3590LFT.

I have it hooked up to city water on my property. It would hum whenever a faucet was turned on. About an hour after using our electric water heater, it started humming constantly and spurts when turning on any faucet. I turned off the water heater from the inside console (just to be safe) and switched to pump to stop the humming.

Air pockets maybe? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
First question.. do you have a pressure regulator inline. not the cheap nearly worthless restrictor but an actual regulator ?

Second question... are you sure the all of the valves in your convenience center or correctly positioned to use city water?

Third question... did you open each hot water faucet and bleed all the air out as you filled the water heater?
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:07 AM   #3
gacfl

1) Haven't hooked it up, but I have a Valterra.

2) Yeah, I have it set to City Water on both the outside valve and the inside console.

3) I did. I have the water heater off right now, and it still hums and spits with faucets off while City Water is on.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:15 AM   #4
Javi

Quote:

2) Yeah, I have it set to City Water on both the outside valve and the inside console.

3) I did. I have the water heater off right now, and it still hums and spits with faucets off while City Water is on.
see pm for answer
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:24 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Hoping Javi got you squared away but I have to ask; WHAT is "spitting" with the city water on and faucets off"?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:29 AM   #6
gacfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Hoping Javi got you squared away but I have to ask; WHAT is "spitting" with the city water on and faucets off"?
Sorry, the water from the faucets spit when on. When off, it just continues to hum.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Did you get it fixed?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:03 AM   #8
gacfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Did you get it fixed?
Not at the camper right now. I'll circle back if I find the solution. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:35 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

The “hum when it’s off” is curios to me. The only way to make something (hum) is via movement causing vibration. And before you science nerds go saying I’m wrong because a resonance frequency can do that. The rest of you are now Googling “resonating frequency”.

Anyway, makes me wonder if the pressure relief valve on the WH is leaking or maybe a faucet is on with the water **** off at the shower head.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

My "WAG" is that the water pump is turned on with city water connected, there's air in the lines and the pump is running (humming) while the city water can't compress the air in the lines enough to stop the pump from running (humming)...

Turn off the water pump to stop the humming, purge the faucets of all the air to stop the spitting and make sure the water heater is full with the proper air gap before turning it on. That should stop the problems and get you hot water to boot.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:45 PM   #11
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My "WAG" is that the water pump is turned on with city water connected, there's air in the lines and the pump is running (humming) while the city water can't compress the air in the lines enough to stop the pump from running (humming)...

Turn off the water pump to stop the humming, purge the faucets of all the air to stop the spitting and make sure the water heater is full with the proper air gap before turning it on. That should stop the problems and get you hot water to boot.....

Good call .... or ....???? the the water valves might be set on "winterize", and the pump is attempting to pump air from a hose in a bucket that is simply not there. Meanwhile, the city water running is actually running in the lines too. Air mixed with water, causes "spitting."

Make sure your on-board water pump is turned off and your winterizing valves are not set for "winterize".
Old 08-25-2021, 07:34 AM   #12
Blackrock

This all should have been addressed at the dealership when you did your PDI. They should have had your RV plugged in to power and electric and demonstrated to you how to operate all water valves. They should also have had the water heater turned on also.

It takes a while to get all of the air purged from the piping plus a complete fill of the water heater. I just crack the hw and cw faucets and let them spurt and spit until all the air is purged. This can take a while after being winterized.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:40 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
This all should have been addressed at the dealership when you did your PDI. They should have had your RV plugged in to power and electric and demonstrated to you how to operate all water valves. They should also have had the water heater turned on also.

It takes a while to get all of the air purged from the piping plus a complete fill of the water heater. I just crack the hw and cw faucets and let them spurt and spit until all the air is purged. This can take a while after being winterized.
Bob, I believe the OP has already had the thought that he should have done a thorough check prior to driving off the lot. New camper owners don't get this education on their first purchase and will likely be a bit more prudent checking things out on the second go round. It is part of the painful learning experience. After de-winterizing my camper this spring (we had a heavy freeze and I blew out the lines and added anti freeze to the p traps) it took a LONG time to purge the air from the lines. I didn't time it but I bet 15 minutes.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:19 AM   #14
rlh1957

You have air in your lines, possibly air pocket still in hot water heater.
Sometimes it take awhile to get the air out.

You said you have all valves set correct for city water use.
Is there a separate power switch for water pump?
Turn it off.

Turn off HW heater both gas & electric.

Open HW faucet and let it run till all spitting is gone. Go to each faucet and run till clear.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:41 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
You have air in your lines, possibly air pocket still in hot water heater.
Sometimes it take awhile to get the air out.

You said you have all valves set correct for city water use.
Is there a separate power switch for water pump?
Turn it off.

Turn off HW heater both gas & electric.

Open HW faucet and let it run till all spitting is gone. Go to each faucet and run till clear.
Just to be clear, there is a required air pocket in both the Atwood and Suburban water heater. That air pocket should be maintained. If lost, there is no "expansion capacity" inside the tank and as water is heated, that expansion will cause the relief valve to "weep" and/or if that valve fails, deform the tank causing (in the Suburban tank) damage to the porcelain lining which will cause premature failure of the tank. In both brands, expansion can cause a problem if the air gap is not maintained......

Both owner's manuals have specific instructions on how to maintain the water heater air gap.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water