Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2021, 02:06 PM   #1
Mroe67

Tire advice - Help!

Just had tread separation on one of my original tires are Sailun brand (They’re made in China) Changed to the spare but the wife wants all new tires. Any recommendations for my 420RL 2019. What brand do you recommend? I have ST235/80R 16G size tires
Mroe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

List the tire size you need and you might get better advice.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroe67 View Post
Just had tread separation on one of my original tires sailing brand. Changed to the spare but the wife wants all new tires. Any recommendations for my 420RL 2019. What brand do you recommend?
Michael, You have been here awhile and don't have a signature; see the UserCP and add one for camper year make and model and same for your tow vehicle. It will help providing context for your questions. In addition, as has been noted, tire size would be helpful. If you had Sailun tires, you likely have 16" rims but further, can't guess (Sailun doesn't make 15" tires).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Just had tread separation on one of my original tires are Sailun brand (They’re made in China) Changed to the spare but the wife wants all new tires. Any recommendations for my 420RL 2019. What brand do you recommend? I have ST235/80R 16G size tires
Too many questions to give a good answer. Sailuns typically get good reviews & are reasonably priced.
What's the date codes (a 4 digit number on the side wall) on the ones you're replacing? RV tires typically age out long before they wear out with 4-5 years being about max.
What inflation do you run? With that size/load range tire I'd guess you have a long heavy 5th wheel so you should be running them a max psi listed on the sidewall.
Do you have a TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) on the rv tires? This will not warn of an impending blowout, but usually will see a significant temperature increase to give a warning something is wrong & gives you constant temp & pressure readings.
As mentioned Sailuns S637s get good reviews along with Goodyear 614s in the size you indicated with the GYs costing substantially more than the Sailuns.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:15 AM   #5
Mroe67

We have been across the USA twice and back with the unit from Phoenix to Maine. Yes I have a monitoring system, that’s how I discovered the bad tire. My GVWR is 16000 lbs. I keep the tires at 110 per plate on side of RV. I’ve read mixed reviews on sailun brand tires. I much prefer an American made tire if I can find one. Just put Michium brand on my 2500 Ram truck and love them. Not sure if they make a trailer rated tire. We’re on a trip now and are in. Small town in Maine. Heading to Bangor on Friday and will visit a tire store there. Wife’s uncle has used the store for cattle trailer tires so I’m guessing they have RV tires. I hope……per my wife. Money is not an option for our safety. So I get to buy the best, what ever that is…..
Old 08-18-2021, 07:17 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Since you didn't add a signature or provide answers to the logical questions asked of you, I will drop out of this discussion as I suspect you don't need my help. Good luck in your hunt for tires. Most small and local tire places carry off brand foreign made (Asian) tires.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 07:32 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
We have been across the USA twice and back with the unit from Phoenix to Maine. Yes I have a monitoring system, that’s how I discovered the bad tire. My GVWR is 16000 lbs. I keep the tires at 110 per plate on side of RV. I’ve read mixed reviews on sailun brand tires. I much prefer an American made tire if I can find one. Just put Michium brand on my 2500 Ram truck and love them. Not sure if they make a trailer rated tire. We’re on a trip now and are in. Small town in Maine. Heading to Bangor on Friday and will visit a tire store there. Wife’s uncle has used the store for cattle trailer tires so I’m guessing they have RV tires. I hope……per my wife. Money is not an option for our safety. So I get to buy the best, what ever that is…..
I'd guess Michelin makes a commercial grade tire that might be appropriate for rv use, but not sure it's available in a 16"?
The only American made ST G rated tire I'm aware of is Goodyear 614s & money better not be a problem, $300+/- per tire.
If you want to end tire worries upgrade to 17.5" wheels then you could go with GY 114 H rated tires or most any other commercial tire.
Since you brought up your concern for safety, a 2500 towing a 16k 5th wheel?
Yeah! It tows like is not back there & that truck is rated to tow XXXXX lbs, but what's the payload capacity listed on the drivers door? Is the 2500 rated to carry the pin weight of a 16k 5th wheel safely?
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-18-2021, 07:45 AM   #8
Mroe67

Did all the GVWR ratings stuff, truck can pull 19500lbs have made several trips through mountain areas truck pulls Loaded RV just fine
Old 08-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #9
ChuckS

Quote:
Saw you listed your current Brand and Tire size in your original post.. There is nothing at all wrong with the Sailun S637series tires... IMO

There have been a couple of reports lately with the S637 in the 235/80 size your are currently using...

I think its just a fluke and would have no issues going right back with the same tire...

OR.. take a look at the Hercules 901 series 14 ply ST tire... it is a good tire as well...

Personally I would upsize to the 235/85x16 from what you are running but that is gonna bring up a bunch of quotes and such that I could care less about..

Upsizing to the 235/85 series increase your load capacity per tire to 4400 lbs and overall height of the Fifth wheel 1/2 inch...

i run the 235/85x16 series size on my Alpine and dumped the OEM 235/80x16 size 6 years ago and never looked back

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Did all the GVWR ratings stuff, truck can pull 19500lbs have made several trips through mountain areas truck pulls Loaded RV just fine
It's rated to "PULL" that much weight, That's a function of the engine/transmission/rear drive. The question you need to answer to yourself is: Can the truck suspension CARRY the weight of the trailer kingpin, hitch and passenger load without being over the truck payload and the rear axle gross weight rating?

Modern trucks are rated to "pull" a significant load. Those loads are rated using artificially low tongue/pin weights (for advertising purposes to beat the competition)... Towing a fifth wheel RV is not the way any of those "max trailer ratings" were tested or certified.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

You've recieved good info on the tires. Since you brought up the "safety at all costs" subject a 16K trailer has no buisness behind any 3/4 ton truck. I'd urge you to get the rig weighed at a scale loaded as you would to go camping. Pin weight when unknow is generally estimated by taking the trailer gross weight anmd bultiplying by .23 (23%) . 19,000 * .23 = 4,370 lbs. I'm not aware of any 3/4 ton with that much payload. You are likely seriously over the payload capacity and exceed the rear axle weight. That much trailer belongs behing a 1 ton (F350 or 3500) dual wheel truck.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 11:37 AM   #12
Mroe67

Not only did I do weight Checks , the RV dealer and the truck dealer said it would pull it. To date it doesn’t seems to strain much going up mountains. So I’d have to say, it’s doing just fine
Old 08-18-2021, 11:47 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Not only did I do weight Checks , the RV dealer and the truck dealer said it would pull it. To date it doesn’t seems to strain much going up mountains. So I’d have to say, it’s doing just fine
Take your rig over a CAT scale before you get into an accident and get blindsided by a plaintiff's attorney in a civil court... Then, with the knowledge of whether your RV dealer and the truck dealer are "blowing smoke to sell you something" or whether they have your safety and welfare in mind... You can then make the "conscious decision" on whether your truck is overloaded or not...

Experience here has been (and is) that no 3/4 ton truck can carry (didn't say pull) the load put on the truck bed/rear axle from a trailer weighing what your trailer weighs.....

Nobody is arguing with you or trying to "put you down", rather we're all recommending that YOU do your "due diligence" and actually weigh your rig before stating that it's "good to tow".... Just like Ivory snow, 99.44 % sure it's significantly over your trucks GVWR...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #14
GHen

Tire advice - Help!

Goodyear has one of their best rebates of the year starting on 8/29 and include the Endurance which is a rare rebate. Already ordered my, can’t pay for them or install them until after the 29th. There are 3 components to the rebate at my local Discount Tire which may vary in your area, or else I would post details. Mine will be around $175 off for 4.

Call Your local tire dealer, they may be able to see this future deal since it’s not posted on the Goodyear website yet.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 12:22 PM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
That's the biggest problem nowadays for rvers, listening to RV/truck dealers spew things about towing that they have absolutely no experience doing so they can make a sale.
YES! Your 2500 will "pull" that 16k RV all day long & never break a sweat, but at 16k GVWR you're at 3600+ lbs pin weight + 100-125+ lbs for the hitch + the weight of everyone/everything in/on that truck that didn't come from the factory, all of which is subtracted from that payload number on the drivers door jamb. The safety concern is can that 2500 safely "carry" that much weight?
There are 2 numbers when pairing a tow vehicle to a rv that are absolutely useless, the max tow weight of ANY truck & the dry weight of ANY RV.
The max tow weight was arrived vat by the truck manufacturers towing utility type trailers or goosenecks where the loaded weight was directly over the axles thereby lowering the tongue/pin weights considerably which you are unable to do in the rv world.
The dry weight of any rv was as it rolled out of the factory door, no batteries, no propane & no dealer added options, the buyer of any rv will NEVER tow it anywhere near the dry weight, most will be at or very near the max GVWR posted on the tag of each RV after a few trips.
Not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to keep all safe!
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The only way of "Doing a weight check" is to weight it. Otherwise it's like your wife asking you if she's overweight, Of course not honey! She can proclaim any weight she chooses but I'll bet the doctors office make her step on a scale.

No one here is trying to rain on your parade. Everyone is concerned about safety, especially when someone is potentially hauling a lot over the the truck's rating. Bottom line? The truck sal;esman took your money. The RV salesman took your money. No one here is taking your money. Who you choose to believe is your descision.
Old 08-18-2021, 03:19 PM   #17
jfk69

Everyone here has given great advice. I would have no issues going back with the Sailuns, they make a great tire. Everyone that has mentioned it is also correct. You say your trailer is 16k pounds. Towing with a 3/4 ton truck. You are over your payload. Period. You want safety and cost doesn’t matter as you mentioned? Get rid of the truck. It’s not enough. Good Lord, I’ve got to believe you’re at least 1,000# over payload for that vehicle. If you didn’t put that loaded rig on a CAT scale, you did NOT do a weight check and I value the opinion of your truck and RV salesperson at exactly nothing. You can “pull” it, but that truck is NOT built to “carry” it.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #18
Mroe67

Next time I’m at a truck stop with a scale I will weigh the unit. But was also told the only difference between a Dodge RM 3/4 ton and a 1 ton is the rear axil ratio and springs and brakes. The engine and tranny are the same in both, or so I was told
Old 08-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Next time I’m at a truck stop with a scale I will weigh the unit. But was also told the only difference between a Dodge RM 3/4 ton and a 1 ton is the rear axil ratio and springs and brakes. The engine and tranny are the same in both, or so I was told
You were also "told" your truck was enough which it obviously isn't look around at the signatures here. Folks with trai.ers that heavy are hauling them with 350 duallys, the proper truck for the job.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Go to a truck stop, get that weight slip and then stop by both the truck salesman's office and the RV salesman's office and have a bit of "education lesson" for both of them. If you do it "loudly enough for the general manager of both dealerships to hear, maybe at their next "sales staff meeting" they'll discuss "not BSing the customers"...... Then, maybe not... It's possible they'll just decide the "worst liar in the building (the guy you caught) has to buy doughnuts for the next sales staff meeting.... <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS