Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
NJ High Country

Alpine boondocking

I have a 2021 alpine. The dealer installed batteries are Precision marine batteries. Made in the USA. I’ve googled them and cannot find much info on the brand. There’s no amp hour information, just 650 MCA and 525 CCA. I’d like to stay at a harvest host on my way to Maine in the near future. Does anyone know if the two batteries I have will allow me to run the fridge, co monitor, and water pump (for a quick shower)? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF4114FF-1C4B-4C10-B7F3-31CE08139E4C.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	35299  
NJ High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:54 PM   #2
Javi

24 series batteries, about 4 hours on the inverter, water heater on propane and a very quick shower if you don't run the slides out or use the jacks.
A little less on a hot day..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
Canonman

Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) and Cold Cranking Amps (CCA),have little to do with amp hour storage. Your group 24 batteries are likely around 100 amp hours each or 200 A/H total. If your fridge is not a residential type you should be able to run your rig for at least a couple of days on these batteries before they will need to be charged. Keep in mind, you do not want to discharge below about 60% or 12.2 volts.
Run time totally depends on the load. If this (Harvest Host) is long term dry camping, then you will definitely need some form of charging capability either a generator or solar kit. If you'll have shore power where you are camping and just concerned about run time while you travel, then you should be OK since you'll be charging the batteries while you drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5119.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	35300  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:01 PM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Marine Cranking Amps (MCA) and Cold Cranking Amps (CCA),have little to do with amp hour storage. Your group 24 batteries are likely around 100 amp hours each or 200 A/H total. If your fridge is not a residential type you should be able to run your rig for at least a couple of days on these batteries before they will need to be charged. Keep in mind, you do not want to discharge below about 60% or 12.2 volts.
Run time totally depends on the load. If this (Harvest Host) is long term dry camping, then you will definitely need some form of charging capability either a generator or solar kit. If you'll have shore power where you are camping and just concerned about run time while you travel, then you should be OK since you'll be charging the batteries while you drive.
Those 24's will be 85 or less
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ High Country View Post
I have a 2021 alpine. The dealer installed batteries are Precision marine batteries. Made in the USA. I’ve googled them and cannot find much info on the brand. There’s no amp hour information, just 650 MCA and 525 CCA. I’d like to stay at a harvest host on my way to Maine in the near future. Does anyone know if the two batteries I have will allow me to run the fridge, co monitor, and water pump (for a quick shower)? Thanks in advance!
If they were true deep cycle batteries they would be a much better battery for rv use. With CCA & MCA listed they are cranking batteries that allow for quick burst for starting motors, they will not hold up to continuous charge/discharge cycles as well as true deep cycle.
Typically dealers supply this type battery due cost savings for them.
As to your question.
Is the fridge the 2 way, gas/electric, RV type fridge?
If a rv type simply run it on LP, as well as the water heater. Just realize both still require a charged battery to power the control boards.
Is the fridge a residential type running off an inverter?
If residential it would be questionable how long they'd hold up running this type fridge 24/7, being new they might be good for a bit. A generator purchase might be in your future if you plan on boondocking often with those batteries.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #6
NJ High Country

Thank you for the replies. Our fridge is a norcold 2118 rv fridge, so it has two fans that run inside to move the cold air around. I figure harvest host one night on my way to bar harbor and one night on the way home.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #7
sandy43

Precision Batteries

Don't know much about their performance. I was told by a friend who has those batteries, you can only get them through Pasco Battery Warehouse. Some dealers buy them in large lots, saves money, I guess.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #8
Canonman

Javi is correct. Only 85 A/H or less on group 24 batteries. My error, confused with group 27 batteries.
Still, they should last you overnight running the fridge on gas.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:53 PM   #9
jwfrede

I think propane heater fans draw around 7 or 8 amps. So one cold night with the other power draws and you will use up near 50%. If you pull more power you start reducing battery life significantly.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:29 AM   #10
ChuckS

I am surprised at the batteries the dealership installed. He should have have installed Grp 29 at a bear minimum

Since you have the Norcold 2118 and not using an inverter like most new Alpines come equipped with (For Residential Fridge) I'd yan k those batteries and installed TWO GC2 six volt batteries and then you will have some capacity and batteries that will last...

Your current batteries are UNDERSIZED for that Alpine ... In My Opinion...

IF you DONT run the furnace AT ALL and only run fridge, interior LED lights and water heater you MIGHT GET by and have enough 12 volt power left to operate the hyd slides, electric slides (yours has both) and hyd six point leveling system to retract the gear and hook up..

With TWO GC2 six volt golf cart batteries you WILL have that capacity and more..

And YES.. I own an Alpine and have boon docked many times over the last 8 years with no issues with my GC2 batteries

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:34 PM   #11
NJ High Country

Thanks again for the replies. Chuck I subscribed to your YouTube channel. Informative content!
Old 08-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Go with the 2 go.f cart batteries and sell those.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, boondocking