Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2021, 02:31 AM   #21
adman02

Was poking around the Web today and found this video about how to adjust the bladex valve. Perhaps this is my issue...

adman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:59 AM   #22
Ken / Claudia

I do not know if any trailers dump valves are cable, all I have seen are metal rods. Those are sticking out though the bottom or hanging down under trailer. The control center could be cables attached to those rods. I have never had that type.

The rods are threaded, after loosing handles and rods, I put Loctite on them.
My guess is that gravity and bouncing on the road was causing the valve to open. I could have taken it apart and tried to install new O rings. If you think about it for the weekend camper those rubber O rings are dry most of the time. I can see them cracking due to that and the 100 plus temps they sit in all summer.

But I figured why it was happening was not important as fixing it and 1 job attempt was best. Either I would buy a new valve and do it or take it in.
Shop said around 200, so that was it. Taken to shop saved me a half of a day
or more working on it. So I got other stuff in my shop done.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #23
kdrsmr

I had the exact same problem with sewage coming out when I opened the drain cap. Here's what I found. 1st, it isn't residual. I took the black tank valve out and found it jammed with poop. So I cleaned it out and replaced the seals. As I was checking it after replacement I noticed that the valve simply wasn't closing all the way. I adjusted the cable in, that is I moved the cable into the clamping point about 3/4" and I haven't had a single problem since.
kdrsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:04 AM   #24
adman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrsmr View Post
I had the exact same problem with sewage coming out when I opened the drain cap. Here's what I found. 1st, it isn't residual. I took the black tank valve out and found it jammed with poop. So I cleaned it out and replaced the seals. As I was checking it after replacement I noticed that the valve simply wasn't closing all the way. I adjusted the cable in, that is I moved the cable into the clamping point about 3/4" and I haven't had a single problem since.
That's kind of what that video I posted shows. I strongly suspect my problem is like yours. Thanks for the reply!
adman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #25
Kzneft

Angry You know you did something stupid when...

Just make sure you CLOSE your valves before you head out on your next trip. I left mine out once, then after camping went to the dump station and uncapped the black tank. I will leave the rest to your imagination. It wasn't pretty.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #26
azchoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman02 View Post
Hi. New to the forum.

I recently purchased a 2019 Cougar 32DBHS. I'm the second owner and I'm trying straighten a few things out from either the PO or the factory.

The second item on the list is figuring out my holding tanks (and there are two parts to this issue)

First part...My black tank valve seems to be leaking. I can say that with confidence because when I remove the outside waste pipe cover, contents of the black tank flows out even though the valve is supposedly closed. Yuck!

I dug into the innards of the trailer today and found the black tank and valve. The valve itself seems to be functioning OK (I opened it a little and heard water trickle out and it slides easily), but there's still "contents" when I open the waste cover pipe. Hmmm... Any thoughts or solutions?

Second part...I was under the trailer looking around and found a SECOND grey tank handle hidden behind the J-trim. What does this handle do?

• Top pic is the main control center with valves closed.
• Middle/top pic is outside the RV, just to the aft of the main control center (note the label "grey tank") and the main/only waste pipe
• Middle/bottom pic is the view from under the J trim - basically, what is behind the "grey tank" label (note the extra handle...in the open position)
• Bottom pic is my bladex valve...seemingly in good shape and closed
That t-handle behind the skirting is for a 2nd gray water tank. My Keystone Alpine is like that. That tank in my unit services the kitchen.
azchoco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank