Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
RVGator

Snap Pads for Landing Jacks

I have a 2021 Avalanche 378BH being delivered end of the month. Wondering if anyone knows what size landing feet it will have on its 6 jacks? I think the 2 front ones are 12” but not sure they are the same all the way around.

Also does anyone have any experience with the snap pads? They look like a good edition, but I don’t have any experience with them. Worthy the $?

Thx
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
Camping family

Following also thinking of getting them
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 02:50 PM   #3
E Rod

I have 6 of them on my 2017 Alpine. Didn't pay that much for as I purchased them a while back. They seem to help especially when parked on asphalt. I would try ebay to see if you can find them cheaper. Not sure i would purchase them for the price they are now. They are made of recycled materials..

2021 F350 Lariat Ultimate Pkg,FX4,CC,LB

2017 Alpine 3660FL
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
I have a 2021 Avalanche 378BH being delivered end of the month. Wondering if anyone knows what size landing feet it will have on its 6 jacks? I think the 2 front ones are 12” but not sure they are the same all the way around.

Also does anyone have any experience with the snap pads? They look like a good edition, but I don’t have any experience with them. Worthy the $?

Thx
I have no idea what a snap pad is but was taken by your town's name. Sounded kind of strange and looked it up and saw it was a portmanteau for Indian River & Atlantic. (I didn't know what portmanteau is either so this has been an education!) Good luck with your snap pad quest...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
sandy43

Snap Pads

I've had my Snap Pads about 4 years. Never a problem. It will raise you up about an inch. A great mod..

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:42 PM   #6
dutchmensport

Before purchasing them, you need to make sure you have adequate clearance from the bottom of the jacks to the ground. This is a real problem with newer Montana's. I don't know about your brand, but get the trailer first and see what you think.

My rear jacks had only about 5 inches of clearance, and with the trailer being 41 feet long, and the rear jacks relatively close to the rear of the wheels, it didn't take much of an incline, a dip, or a hole to hit, drag, and bend the jacks. Adding an extra inch length may make yours even more uncomfortably low.

Also, on our 2nd or 3rd trip, I lost one of my pads (not the snap pad, the normal metal pad), and it was over $50 to replace just that one metal pad that came factory.

After that, I removed all the jack pads when on the road, and put them back on at our destination. Even with that, I still drug the rears a few times, bending them up enough I had to grind the ends smooth so the pads would fit back on.

I finally raised the jacks 4 holes, as high as I absolutely could, and since then, I've not drug the rears at all. But adding another inch would defeat the clearance between them and the ground.

All I'm advising is, don't spend the money getting these until AFTER you get the camper, have had a chance to tow it over various terrains, and make sure the jacks don't drag the ground. If you add the snap pads, and they drag, you've just lost them.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:59 PM   #7
bobbecky

We’ve had RV Snap Pads on our leveling system since 2016 and they are great. All six pads on our hydraulic Jack pads are the same diameter. Their site shows the 9” SnapPad XTRA is usually the one for fifth wheel trailers, but you really should wait to order until you have the rig in your possession
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #8
jasin1

I have the snap pads….I like that they give the landing gear a finished look..like a new pair of shoes…
Old 08-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #9
Kuimonster

Do they work with the jt strong arms?
Old 08-14-2021, 05:37 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

[QUOTE=bobbecky;463931]We’ve had RV Snap Pads on our leveling system since 2016 and they are great. All six pads on our hydraulic Jack pads are the same diameter. Their site shows the 9” SnapPad XTRA is usually the one for fifth wheel trailers, but you really should wait to order until you have the rig in your possession[/QUOTE]

I agree whole heartedly with the part in red.... In today's supply chain, parts are "in stock/out of stock" on a regular basis. The 9" round could be the "standard leveling system pad" but has been out of stock for 2 weeks and Lippert doesn't expect a shipment until November...... So, Lippert and Keystone decided to change to 4x6 square pads until the shipment arrives....

These days, "normal OEM equipment" is more "what's available that we can use" rather than "contracted components arriving in a reliable shipment schedule from the same manufacturer/importer and the same components for the entire year of production..... I haven't been to the Keystone plant this year, but the last time I was there, every cubbyhole on the asssembly lines was filled with "extras" that used to be sold to salvage yards around Goshen... They're apparently keeping the "over-runs" to cover shortages in current builds, expecting to have shortages that can't keep up with demands.... So, if it hasn't already happened, we're going to start seeing trailers leaving the line with Furrion ranges, GE microwaves, Haier refrigerators, Suburban water heaters, and an Atwood furnace, all "cobbled together" since the "appliance warehouse can't get the standard set, all from the same manufacturer".....

These days, I'd definitely wait to see what's "really on my trailer" before buying "non-returnable parts"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:37 AM   #11
ChuckS

Rather than spend a bunch of money for a gadget that only gets you an inch under the pads make some nice 12 x12 inch blocks about 4 1/2 inches in height.

Your RV will be much more stable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04B96D5B-ADF8-4452-AACE-B6287CF74E2C.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	35252  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 05:50 AM   #12
Getn off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Rather than spend a bunch of money for a gadget that only gets you an inch under the pads make some nice 12 x12 inch blocks about 4 1/2 inches in height.

Your RV will be much more stable
And you can build these for only about $300 each from my local Lowes! Lol
J/K.
Remember the days when man made stuff was cheaper? Like baking? Haha
Fwiw, I just have a large stack of 2x12x12s that I use.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:01 AM   #13
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
J/K.
Troy
You can build six if these for about 15 bucks or less at today’s prices. Don’t get the $300…

Whatever works for folks… I just posted an idea …

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:11 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
J/K.

Troy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
You can build six if these for about 15 bucks or less at today’s prices. Don’t get the $300…

Whatever works for folks… I just posted an idea …
Chuck,
Note the red parts.... I believe the commentary was more "It may be cheaper to buy them than to make them" and was directed at the ever-rising price of raw materials in our "current economic system"...

My DW used to sew our daughter's summer sun dresses. They cost about 2 or 3 bucks to make. These days, material is $15, buttons, thread and the supplies to sew a dress all add up to a "home made kid's sun dress costing 3 or 4 times what it costs to buy the $4.99 "made in Honduras" dress at WalMart.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-14-2021, 06:15 AM   #15
Getn off

Just making light of the ridiculous lumber prices of late. A single 2x4 has gone up to around $1 per foot and plywood to about 35-40…. Around me anyway.
Yes, $300 was an exaggeration.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:18 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Just making light of the ridiculous lumber prices of late. A single 2x4 has gone up to around $1 per foot and plywood to about 35-40…. Around me anyway.
Yes, $300 was an exaggeration.
Troy
There was a "facebook photo/commentary" I saw about a month ago or so...

It was a photo of a sheet of OSB standing by the highway, propped against a mailbox. Spray painted on the OSB was, "Will trade for late model Corvette".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #17
UKLimey

We have snap pads on Cougar 27SGS. They are great. No more blocks under jack pads and absolutely no chance of trailer sliding. They are made from recycled tires so have a great grip.

Only thing you have to watch is how much clearance you will still have under raised jack. On ours, we had to raise rear jacks an inch. Pretty simple job.
Our Website
UKLimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:53 AM   #18
jasin1

[QUOTE=JRTJH;463981]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
We’ve had RV Snap Pads on our leveling system since 2016 and they are great. All six pads on our hydraulic Jack pads are the same diameter. Their site shows the 9” SnapPad XTRA is usually the one for fifth wheel trailers, but you really should wait to order until you have the rig in your possession[/QUOTE]

I agree whole heartedly with the part in red.... In today's supply chain, parts are "in stock/out of stock" on a regular basis. The 9" round could be the "standard leveling system pad" but has been out of stock for 2 weeks and Lippert doesn't expect a shipment until November...... So, Lippert and Keystone decided to change to 4x6 square pads until the shipment arrives....

These days, "normal OEM equipment" is more "what's available that we can use" rather than "contracted components arriving in a reliable shipment schedule from the same manufacturer/importer and the same components for the entire year of production..... I haven't been to the Keystone plant this year, but the last time I was there, every cubbyhole on the asssembly lines was filled with "extras" that used to be sold to salvage yards around Goshen... They're apparently keeping the "over-runs" to cover shortages in current builds, expecting to have shortages that can't keep up with demands.... So, if it hasn't already happened, we're going to start seeing trailers leaving the line with Furrion ranges, GE microwaves, Haier refrigerators, Suburban water heaters, and an Atwood furnace, all "cobbled together" since the "appliance warehouse can't get the standard set, all from the same manufacturer".....

These days, I'd definitely wait to see what's "really on my trailer" before buying "non-returnable parts"....

Or what’s not on your trailer at all ..I can’t remember what brand it was but they said fiberglass shortages from covid was making one manufacturer do away with fiberglass rear caps on a premium fifth wheel…presumably until supplies catch up….wonder if they adjusted the price
Old 08-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #19
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I have no idea what a snap pad is but was taken by your town's name. Sounded kind of strange and looked it up and saw it was a portmanteau for Indian River & Atlantic. (I didn't know what portmanteau is either so this has been an education!) Good luck with your snap pad quest...
But did you look it up on a map?

He's about 20 minutes south of me on A1A. How's that for a street name!
Old 08-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #20
RVGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
But did you look it up on a map?

He's about 20 minutes south of me on A1A. How's that for a street name!
Yep. Indialantic by the Sea is the official name. Sleepy little beach town sandwiched between other sleepy beach towns. It’s a nice place to live. Not great for keeping the RV at the house though as the salt in the air from the ocean does a number on anything metal.

Thanks to all for the comments on the snap pads. I will be waiting to see what size they are. I think the comments on cobbling things together is probably right at this stage. I am pretty sure all the manufacturers are making 2022 models now, but mine(a 2021) is still “in” the factory, meaning its probably short a part or 2 and they are waiting. Supposed to be done this coming week and then just wait a couple weeks for transportation down to Tampa where I am picking it up. Fingers are crossed for arrival prior to Labor Day so we can go camping as planned.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks