Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #21
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I will let those that have experience with those units respond, but;

I have used a Surge Guard by Southwire for many years and it has never failed or given me a problem; my next one would be the same. IMO look at the 34951? (50A) that has a remote monitor? Look at what the give you on the monitor, protection (34951 gives you RV side neutral protection/PD does not).

These things need due diligence from the buyer. What do you do and what do want the "EMS" to do. You can't go wrong with either one.
Have Surge Guard 34951. Sourdough, You are right. Love that I can just look at my phone to see what is going on. Has saved my bacon once so far. It will reset if tripped. Don't have to get out of my recliner to check it. I lock mine to the pedestal with a heavy duty stainless cable and heavy duty lock. They will have to work hard to get it. Even with bolt cutters that will have to be very stout to cut this cable. I like the 10 second delay while it does the checks before sending power to my rig. This is my favorite, others have theirs. Regardless, they do the job. Just different features to choose.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 01:13 PM   #22
cenders

Portable VS hardwired

I saw a decent video online comparing portable to hardwired and the benefit of hardwired is the readings are at the RV after the power has travelled through your 25’ connection to the pedestal which is safer than compared to the portable ones that only read power in front of the 25’ line and have no awareness to voltage loss across that 25’ line.
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #23
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
The app is the reason I went with the Hughes on the MH. It’s nice to see what’s going on
Fishsizzle, I think you would be wise to secure the ends of the liquid tight, I would also put couplings on the ends of the liquor tight.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 02:08 PM   #24
Whitewolf

I've got the Progressive EMS-HW50C. That's the hard wired version. Don't have to plug in a big heavy unit. Don't have to worry about it being stolen.

It saved our but last year. We kept experiencing our 5r shutting down after a couple of minutes everything would fire back up for a few minutes. I watched the remote display and saw that 1 leg was dropping below minimum voltage. That's why the Progressive was shutting down.

Campground owner rewired the pedestal to 30a only, blocking out the bad leg and we didn't have any more voltage drops.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:38 PM   #25
GeoZ

I really like the 50amp Hughes Watchdog hardwire with Bluetooth. It just shut the TT down this weekend due to low voltage on line 1. With the Bluetooth I was able to monitor the power supply for the weekend. Issue was with the parks power supply. I previously had a hardwired 50amp Surgeguard with remote display. It became very noisy (loud hum) that you could hear in the entire rig. Their customer support said that was normal?? Not in my rig!!
GeoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:46 AM   #26
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Fishsizzle, I think you would be wise to secure the ends of the liquid tight, I would also put couplings on the ends of the liquor tight.
Sorry, should have noted, that’s not the finished product. I was in the middle of the install. You’ll see the cord just sitting in there. I replaced the transfer switch at the same time as well as the plug in. Snapped the pic to mark progress.

It was a struggle as the original transfer switch ran horizontally, thus it was a tight fit getting the Genset wires in. Tried 2-3 positions for the units before settling on this one.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote