Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2021, 03:41 PM   #1
Gmcjimmy4x4

Avalanche 312RS thermostat

Anybody else have 21 Avalanche that can show me what thermostat your trailer came with? They advertise a dual zone programmable temperature control. My trailer came with old out dated looking analog slide thermostats. This does not me their asvertisement if you ask me. Please show me what your trailers came with?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210613_200424.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	34768  
Gmcjimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:03 PM   #2
Javi

I have a 313RS which is the same trailer and have that same thermostat downstairs and one without the heat in the bedroom. Frankly, after a year I would not want a single thermostat; programmable or not.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:07 PM   #3
Gmcjimmy4x4

I would not have expected a single thermostat. But the way they describe on their description, i would think it would at least be a digital models that you could program the temp you wanted and not a manual slide operation. How in any way is the manual slide programmable? I guessing the 2 thermostats make it dual zone controlled.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #4
bgrhrdt

Don't all new Keystone fifth wheels come with the InCommand system?
bgrhrdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #5
Gmcjimmy4x4

Nope. We were looking for an Alpine which had the command system, but settled for the Avalanche which is almost the identical trailer with a few less ammenities.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmcjimmy4x4 View Post
I would not have expected a single thermostat. But the way they describe on their description, i would think it would at least be a digital models that you could program the temp you wanted and not a manual slide operation. How in any way is the manual slide programmable? I guessing the 2 thermostats make it dual zone controlled.
Not trying to be silly but a slide bar is the original programmable thermostat.
It just isn't digital 😁

There are digital units available from Coleman but I'd bet they aren't readily available because of the state of the country.

I know I ended up buying a new A/C for the bedroom because a warranty unit wouldn't be available until November. It is on the trailer and working very well, and I upgraded to a 15k. The upgrade is one of the smarter things I've done this year..

I know that I paid for a working A/C and they would eventually replace it but rather than lose four or five months of camping I chose to just deal with it...

The manufacturers and dealers are not to blame for the state of the country any more than I am as an individual.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #7
Gmcjimmy4x4

In my mind the term programmable automatically thinks something digital and computerized. Manual slide just does not seem to qualify as programmable. I do understand that the county is in a dilemma as far as production issues and parts availability.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #8
Gmcjimmy4x4

I am wanting to just order and replace the thermostat myself with a nicer digital model but am afraid it might have a negative effect on my warranty in the future.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:18 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd speculate that if you installed digital COLEMAN thermostats that operate your COLEMAN air conditioners, chances are excellent that the dealership and Keystone would be "none the wiser" even if you claimed a warranty problem with the digital thermostat. As confusing as the market is today, if it's not "documented on the build sheet" by part number, model number and serial number" then I'd make an "uneducated guess" that nobody at the dealership would know what your trailer had in it when they got it and even less knowledge of how they delivered it to you...

Now, that said, if you're posting photos of the "manual thermostats" on the internet and sending those photos to the dealership and Keystone with complaints about how you think you were screwed over, then they'll have all the documentation (provided by you) to refuse any warranty work on the system.

Sometimes, it's just simpler to "do it and ask forgiveness" than it is to "ask for permission and suffer the red tape of jumping through the hoops to get it"...... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #10
Gmcjimmy4x4

Keystone actually emailed me photos to make sure that the model they showed in my unit is what I have now. They knew exactly what it was built with. Problem is everytime I call I start over with a new person. And the people I talked to previously never answer any email communications. They say they will send me an email when its in its way. That's happened twice already with 2 different stats. Guess I will have to call again this week.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #11
Javi

Quote:
In my mind the term programmable automatically thinks something digital and computerized. Manual slide just does not seem to qualify as programmable. I do understand that the county is in a dilemma as far as production issues and parts availability.
I have what I call a programmable thermostat in my house, an I can program it to different temperatures at different times of the day and different days of the week. I can even tell it to cool or warm the house from anywhere I can access the internet... . That's a programmable thermostat., at least in my opinion.

Being able to read the numbers from a digital display is not programmable even to this 72 year old.. but hey I can tell times by where Mickey's hands are...😁
Old 07-18-2021, 05:50 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Reading this thread I guess my question to the OP is....do your ACs/thermostat work or what? If they do consider yourself lucky and do some homework for a replacement stat vs blaming Keystone, dealer or whoever. Was that thermostat not in the RV when you bought it?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #13
Gmcjimmy4x4

I agree that I did buy it with that device at the time of purchase. I just think its kind of crappy false advertising. I can live with that part or change it later myself later. My main thermostat is faulty as it will not send signal to turn on compressor. The first rep actually was supposed to send me a digital replacement because of original not being available. It just never happened. At this point I'm just frustrated and want my ac to work. It was 102 here today and cannot even think about using my brand new trailer. No end in site for this heat.☹
Old 07-18-2021, 06:21 PM   #14
Javi

Quote:
I agree that I did buy it with that device at the time of purchase. I just think its kind of crappy false advertising. I can live with that part or change it later myself later. My main thermostat is faulty as it will not send signal to turn on compressor. The first rep actually was supposed to send me a digital replacement because of original not being available. It just never happened. At this point I'm just frustrated and want my ac to work. It was 102 here today and cannot even think about using my brand new trailer. No end in site for this heat.☹
Get the book that came in your documents for the trailer on the A/C in question and call or email PPL .. give them the model number and serial number and they can match the thermostat to the A/C... if there is one available they are where I'd go.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:28 PM   #15
Gmcjimmy4x4

I will call them once more and check if the part was available or where things stand? If it does not pan out then I guess I'm on my own and will just order myself. Its just not worth the frustration and time I'm waiting trying to get this taken care of for less than $100 part. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:57 PM   #16
John&Genny

I have a Avalanche 320RS, and this is what I used to replace my analog thermostats:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Mach-...ck-p/63868.htm

Keep in mind when I replaced mine in 2018 the price was around $65. As you can see, the price has gone up a bit.

There is a newer and cheaper version of their digital thermostats that you can see here:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Colem...-p/06-0705.htm

It has a bigger backlit display than the previous version I posted. The only problem is that it has a vertical form factor so that if you replace the horizontal form analog with this one, chances are your are going to see a couple of screw holes for the old mounting plate. Now why Coleman-Mach decided to change the form factor, we will never know
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:08 AM   #17
Gmcjimmy4x4

Called Keystone again and found out that each time I talked to someone and was told they would send me the part, a manager overruled them and said that it needed to be properly diagnosed first. The problem is that this was never passed along to me! No contact whatsoever. I went through this 3 times before talking to someone who could explain what was happening. Her only reasoning for not contacting the customer was that they wee very busy and only get so much time per call and don't have time to make calls or return emails. Now they want me to try and get mobile tech to come and fix it but they won't pay the mobile fee. Only reimburse for covered items. I understand the being diagnosed as they cannot trust that everyone is competent to do it themselves. I also appelreciate being authorized to call mobile tech to come fix. My main frustration is how bad their communication was. This happened 3 times over the last month. I could have had this resolved already. I love our trailer but not too happy with Keystone customer service!
Old 07-20-2021, 08:25 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Called Keystone again and found out that each time I talked to someone and was told they would send me the part, a manager overruled them and said that it needed to be properly diagnosed first. The problem is that this was never passed along to me! No contact whatsoever. I went through this 3 times before talking to someone who could explain what was happening. Her only reasoning for not contacting the customer was that they wee very busy and only get so much time per call and don't have time to make calls or return emails. Now they want me to try and get mobile tech to come and fix it but they won't pay the mobile fee. Only reimburse for covered items. I understand the being diagnosed as they cannot trust that everyone is competent to do it themselves. I also appelreciate being authorized to call mobile tech to come fix. My main frustration is how bad their communication was. This happened 3 times over the last month. I could have had this resolved already. I love our trailer but not too happy with Keystone customer service!

Your experience is not new and will be repeated again in the future. It is the perfect example of why we constantly stress the need to have whatever issue you are having evaluated by a dealership or authorized repair person. The lack of communication and confusion when dealing with Keystone directly is outside their established protocols and generally only creates confusion. The fact that there was confusion, delays and miscommunications is not surprising and expected....at least to me.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:31 AM   #19
Gmcjimmy4x4

At this point i would have been better never calling them and just ordered new parts and fixed it myself. These factory warranties are not worth dealing with for smaller repairs. Its not worth the frustration and my wasted time for less than $100 part.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #20
John&Genny

Quote:
If you have any DIY ability, what I would try is to pop off the cover of the thermostat and make sure the Yellow (Compressor) wire was hooked up to the connector or didn't pull out of the plug.

As to why you got such a old analog thermostat, I would say it's because you may be a casualty of the Covid chip shortage. Keystone may have had a bunch of these old analogs in the warehouse whereas the newer ones were not available. Just my speculation however.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote