Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
Fourbtgait

Add exterior baggage door to slide?

I have thought of it, thought I read a post or article. To access storage under dinette seating that is difficult to get to.
Has anyone?
Old 07-16-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

No, but I had mentioned to the DW wanting to do this myself just yesterday. She talked me out of it.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

You’ll need to know where the framing is before you start cutting a hole in the side of your trailer. As a rule any compartment door will be framed, and you may have to add that. Then there’s the possibility of hitting wiring, and that could prove costly.

Can it be done, yeah. Would I try it, no.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:44 PM   #4
Fourbtgait

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You’ll need to know where the framing is before you start cutting a hole in the side of your trailer. As a rule any compartment door will be framed, and you may have to add that. Then there’s the possibility of hitting wiring, and that could prove costly.

Can it be done, yeah. Would I try it, no.
Understand. What i did read was he found framing from interior side of wall, in the storage. Wires yes. Only thought of framing the opening was bonding it yo the exterior skin. But if it’s ply on inside a good epoxy would bond aluminum to the ply.
Just thinking.
Biggest drawback is the cost to buy a new door assembly.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:40 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourbtgait View Post
Understand. What i did read was he found framing from interior side of wall, in the storage. Wires yes. Only thought of framing the opening was bonding it yo the exterior skin. But if it’s ply on inside a good epoxy would bond aluminum to the ply.
Just thinking.
Biggest drawback is the cost to buy a new door assembly.
In a bonded wall it would be very tedious and difficult to remove the insulation core, add a proper frame, then bond the two surfaces to the frame without gaps or damage. I passed on the idea myself. My U shapped dinette also has a ton of storage that I have to remove the base, back, and bother corner cushions to access. Shure would be handy to have exterior access.

After considering the possabilities of cutting into the side of a large slide (contains U shapped dinette and sofa) I decided against it. Thinking it thru I thought "First I'd have to remove the dinette to acess the wall, then cut the hole anc hope it stayed in one piece, construct and install framing, then install hatch and re-install the dinette. For me the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

So afternmuch thought we use the space for the "infrequently used" items. It now holds extra linens, blankets, etc. That only get used in colder weather when a guest stays over. In the cooler seasons it gets switched out with the beach towels, beach umbrellas, ect. It's also a good place to store that third 30 amp extension cord and 3 rd freshwater hose that I may nevrr need during a season but it's nice yo have "just in case". So to me I don't think of it as "useless or wasted space" but rather "perfect storage" for the lesser used items that used to clutter up other areas.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #6
Fourbtgait

Here is the original article to give an idea.

http://www.jeff-z.com/rv/door/door.html

I suppose I don’t shy away from things such as this due to my background in boat construction and repair, welding, home construction, etc. it’s a lot more difficult to cut the deck of a sailboat open to replace the original balsa core.
I think it was on a Cougar slide I saw a long baggage door and thought what a great idea.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:01 AM   #7
Jimmy240

There was a YouTube video of a guy doing this to his trailer. There weren’t any wires in the way (on his), but he did cut into the slide aluminum frame a little (he should of cut 1/2 to 1 above the floor). Anyways it seemed pretty simple. If I find it, I’ll link it to this post.

https://youtu.be/-PTctw8rAxk
Jimmy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:06 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

If you have a booth dinette, why not put doors on the seats at the ends or put a hinge on the base? A do-it-yourself door on a slide may not be a selling point if you sell the camper in the future.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:22 AM   #9
Fourbtgait

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If you have a booth dinette, why not put doors on the seats at the ends or put a hinge on the base? A do-it-yourself door on a slide may not be a selling point if you sell the camper in the future.
I already have doors on end of each side seat with slide out storage.
I agree a hack do it yourself would lower value. The link I posted, to me, was a hack job, needs to be cleaner.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:40 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourbtgait View Post
I already have doors on end of each side seat with slide out storage.
I agree a hack do it yourself would lower value. The link I posted, to me, was a hack job, needs to be cleaner.
If you already have the doors on the ends of the dinette seats, have you considered "appropriately sized" Rubbermaid storage bins with the roller wheels on one end? We used them in our Springdale dinette seating and the containers I bought were large enough to slide into the benches to almost 1' from the trailer side wall. That's almost 3' of "rolling cabinet". Any longer and we would not have been able to pull them out far enough to remove the tops from the containers.

For us, it was much easier than modifying the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #11
Fourbtgait

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you already have the doors on the ends of the dinette seats, have you considered "appropriately sized" Rubbermaid storage bins with the roller wheels on one end? We used them in our Springdale dinette seating and the containers I bought were large enough to slide into the benches to almost 1' from the trailer side wall. That's almost 3' of "rolling cabinet". Any longer and we would not have been able to pull them out far enough to remove the tops from the containers.

For us, it was much easier than modifying the trailer.
Yes, I already have slide out storage from each side dinette seat.
I was looking at the back seat, 18”x36” area. Now if the table was originally an easily removed, that storage would be more readily accessible.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:21 AM   #12
flookk

My 2007 Sprinter 274 RLS has both a slide-out tray inside and an exterior door for easy access to the dinette seat storage compartment. Both items were factory installed. If you wanted to pursue this the exterior door should be available from Keystone.

For what it's worth I have seldom found the need to use the exterior door.
flookk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #13
bbells

My trailer came from the factory with an external baggage door on the slide.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:05 AM   #14
Cjblodgett

I also thought about this. I even called Keystone for the schematics of the slide. Keystone reported no such schematic exists AND, if I revise the slide for a storage door, it would void my warranty. That is not scaring me, though.

I have seen the YouTube video and really think it is doable. Please keep us posted if you go through with the project.

Also, would love to see the sliding drawers in the outer dinette area. I am trying to trouble shoot how I can modify mine in our 2020 2521RL Passport.
Cjblodgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:49 AM   #15
DrKAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I bought my 2019 Bullet Crossfire used last summer, and this is exactly what the previous owner did. Hinged cabinet doors on the end of both dinette seats. Everything in these 2 storage compartments can now be accessed without disturbing the dinette at all.

That still leaves the large storage section under the middle seat of the U dinette with access only by removing cushions and lifting lid, but this is no problem when using it for less-frequently-needed items.
DrKAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 05:12 PM   #16
Bigmike62

I saw in another thread where they cut an opening in the front of the center seat and used that area for their shoes, boots, and just left it open. I was considering putting sliding doors since the dinette legs would prevent hinged doors from opening, i just haven’t had the time, for now, It just holds stuff I don’t use often or stuff I take out at set up and put back away when it’s time to go home. If I ever get around to the sliding doors, I’ll be sure to post pictures.
Bigmike62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:04 AM   #17
Cjblodgett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmike62 View Post
I saw in another thread where they cut an opening in the front of the center seat and used that area for their shoes, boots, and just left it open. I was considering putting sliding doors since the dinette legs would prevent hinged doors from opening, i just haven’t had the time, for now, It just holds stuff I don’t use often or stuff I take out at set up and put back away when it’s time to go home. If I ever get around to the sliding doors, I’ll be sure to post pictures.
Turning that un-usable storage into something I can use is still the goal for me. Re-reading the posts gave me some ideas but here is one other idea that I wish I had thought of before installing a pet door into the exterior storage in the back of my rig. We traveled with cats and the pet door makes the sandbox easier to live with.

But, by opening up the middle of the u-shape dinette (in the interior) would have been an excellent spot for the pet dishes and water, so we wouldn't have to trip over them. Maybe even a pet bed.

Sadly, our kitties are too old to travel with us. They told us they don't like being in their carriers in the truck when we travel. Stopping every 1/2 hour to "clean up" was not fun---this is on short jaunts. So this idea is going into the "should-a' file.

Just wondering, has anyone actually tried to build out the storage door to the exterior???
Cjblodgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:41 AM   #18
Bigmike62

I found this on youtube

https://youtu.be/-PTctw8rAxk
Bigmike62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide