Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2021, 05:06 AM   #1
Blueswede

Question regarding my Cougar cabin lights

So we love our Cougar, but I’m wondering if anyone has changed out the cabin or bedroom lights to a type that I can dim. The existing ones are quite bright and they’re either on or off. It would be nice to be able to have some control over the brightness. Thanks…
Old 07-11-2021, 05:16 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueswede View Post
So we love our Cougar, but I’m wondering if anyone has changed out the cabin or bedroom lights to a type that I can dim. The existing ones are quite bright and they’re either on or off. It would be nice to be able to have some control over the brightness. Thanks…

This may help you
Old 07-11-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
Blueswede

Thanks so much….exactly what I needed!
Old 07-11-2021, 02:40 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Don't know if you caught what the guy on the video said but he said he had dimmable LEDs. I'm thinking the Cougar doesn't have them but they can be replaced.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #5
MtnPa&Ma

Dimmable - Changing/upgrading the lights

Quote:
We are Cougar owners, as well: Kohree Upgrade Dimmable LED RV Ceiling Double Dome Lights Interior, Adjustable 12V LED Camper Lighting Fixtures with Frosted Cover for RV Trailer Camper Boat-Natural White 4000-4500K 800 Lumen 2 Packs - just recommended to us from a fellow RVer.
MtnPa&Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnPa&Ma View Post
We are Cougar owners, as well: Kohree Upgrade Dimmable LED RV Ceiling Double Dome Lights Interior, Adjustable 12V LED Camper Lighting Fixtures with Frosted Cover for RV Trailer Camper Boat-Natural White 4000-4500K 800 Lumen 2 Packs - just recommended to us from a fellow RVer.
That’s what I used to replace all the lights in my 2014 Cougar. Except I wanted brighter lights and not yellow in color. Also because I dry camp most of the time and I can turn on just half the light.

Kohree Upgrade 12V Led RV Ceiling Double Dome Light, Frosted RV Interior Lighting Fixture with ON/Off Switch for Trailer Camper Car Boat (5 Pack Natural White 4000-4500K 700 Lumen) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VTPYHZC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_SXEZW203ETEN53TYHXSX?_enc oding=UTF8&psc=1
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
Blueswede

Seems like a solution if you want to change out the entire fixture. I think I can just change the bulbs…
Old 07-12-2021, 05:56 AM   #8
BookPaul74

Quote:
Seems like a solution if you want to change out the entire fixture. I think I can just change the bulbs…
You can buy cheap LED bulbs but they seem to not have a long life. I replaced the bulbs in my last fifth wheel and used Sylvania bulbs. I was going to do the same thing but after pricing the bulbs it was cheaper to replace the whole fixture. Also the way the bulbs have the LED mounted you don’t get the same amount of light as when they are all flat behind the lens.

I bought 15 replacement lights and only one had a problem, the switch I had to play when to get it to come on. I’m going to take it apart and use the LED panels to put inside the security light on the outside of the fifth wheel.

And if they do fail I still have the 13 old light fixtures in a cabinet that I can reinstall and put the LED bulbs in. And a trick I figured out about half way through the project was why they had one screw in the hole at the center of the fixture and then one screw at each corner.

You get the wiring all done and then you hold the light over the hole against the ceiling and put that center screw in. Then you can use a tape measure and check to see if it square on the ceiling by checking of a seam, a wall or cabinet and then put the other four screws in.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, light, lights