Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2021, 05:36 PM   #1
Meanstu

Installing Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C

I’m ready to install this EMS in my 2018 Raptor 421. Under my kitchen sink behind the right door is the load center. Behind the left door is a panel that can be removed. There’s a ton of room in there. Just wondering if this is the correct location to install before the load center or is there somewhere else further “upstream” where it should go?
Meanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #2
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanstu View Post
I’m ready to install this EMS in my 2018 Raptor 421. Under my kitchen sink behind the right door is the load center. Behind the left door is a panel that can be removed. There’s a ton of room in there. Just wondering if this is the correct location to install before the load center or is there somewhere else further “upstream” where it should go?
Nope, that's good.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:50 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Yup! Anywhere it will fit AFTER the transfer switch and BEFORE the breaker panel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:30 PM   #4
bobbecky

I was lucky when I installed the EMS in our rig. The load center is in the wall behind the toilet, so didn't have to stand on my head to install it. What I did was went to Lowes, bought a 5' length of the exact same cable that is used in our rig from the shore cable connection into the load center. I removed the cable from the load center, 3-#6 strand copper and 1-#8 solid copper bare ground, installed it into the line side of the EMS, and then installed the short piece of cable into the EMS and into the load center. Made the install very simple. Once the wiring was done, I attached the EMS to the exterior wall where the light is shining. One thing I did do was buy new ring connectors for the bare ground wire, #8 solid copper, to use instead of the ring connectors included with the EMS. These copper ring connectors are not the crimp style, but are the set screw type that have the ring along with the set screw, and were much easier to work with than trying to make a solid crimp on the ground wire. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blackburn-2...r-Lugs/4580085
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS-HW50C ready to install.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	33004   Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS-HW50C mounting location.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	33006   Click image for larger version

Name:	EMS-HW50C installation complete.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	33007  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:20 AM   #5
Meanstu

Thanks for the replies. I’m glad there’s a nice amount of room to work in there. I have some 6/3 wire around so should be an easy install.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:33 AM   #6
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanstu View Post
Thanks for the replies. I’m glad there’s a nice amount of room to work in there. I have some 6/3 wire around so should be an easy install.
You didn't state whether you have an onboard generator or not, so there are actually two different schools of thought if you do. 1. install the EMS BEFORE the transfer switch and it will help protect the T.S. in the event of a lightning strike/power surge....but it will not protect you if you are running on generator power. 2. Install it where you have mentioned...downstream of the transfer switch, which will protect the trailer from damage, but not the transfer switch. Progressive Industries will tell you before the transfer switch, but they also are OK with after the transfer switch. Just be aware of the two scenarios that I mentioned and then decide for yourself.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:52 AM   #7
Meanstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
You didn't state whether you have an onboard generator or not, so there are actually two different schools of thought if you do. 1. install the EMS BEFORE the transfer switch and it will help protect the T.S. in the event of a lightning strike/power surge....but it will not protect you if you are running on generator power. 2. Install it where you have mentioned...downstream of the transfer switch, which will protect the trailer from damage, but not the transfer switch. Progressive Industries will tell you before the transfer switch, but they also are OK with after the transfer switch. Just be aware of the two scenarios that I mentioned and then decide for yourself.
I do have an onboard generator. Do most people install before or after the transfer switch?
Old 04-15-2021, 05:57 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
I have always put them after, can you link to the documentation saying before?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:39 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is a link to the installation/operator manual for the PI EMS.

https://98fc35b2-8b52-49c0-9df1-3310...164c8e591e.pdf

In the install instructions, there are procedures to install either BEFORE the transfer switch or AFTER the transfer switch.

If installed BEFORE the switch, only the shore power is monitored.

There is a statement in the manual that says: "Installation After Transfer Box for Protection from both Generator and AC Power"

If I were installing an EMS in an RV with a generator, I'd want to assure that I monitored both the shore power AND the generator output to the RV. Seems, to me, to monitor only one input to the RV is much the same as only wearing one glove or only buying one boot.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:00 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Here is a link to the installation/operator manual for the PI EMS.

https://98fc35b2-8b52-49c0-9df1-3310...164c8e591e.pdf

In the install instructions, there are procedures to install either BEFORE the transfer switch or AFTER the transfer switch.

If installed BEFORE the switch, only the shore power is monitored.

There is a statement in the manual that says: "Installation After Transfer Box for Protection from both Generator and AC Power"

If I were installing an EMS in an RV with a generator, I'd want to assure that I monitored both the shore power AND the generator output to the RV. Seems, to me, to monitor only one input to the RV is much the same as only wearing one glove or only buying one boot.
Yeah, me too...
Old 04-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #11
xrated

I'm kind of laughing outloud right now. My first trailer, some of you probably remember it, Fuzion Impact 303, I installed the EMS AFTER the T.S. There were plenty of folks that told me I should have done the install ahead of the TS as the generator (onboard Onan 5500W) would have it's own protection.....and besides, generators just don't have those kind of issues very often AND that locating it where I did would offer ZERO protection for the TS.

Then, when I traded that trailer in and got my new Toy Hauler in 2019, I remembered those conversations and I installed the P.I. EMS BEFORE the transfer switch, which obviously protects the TS, but offers ZERO protection for your trailer components if running on the generator. So, what's a fellow to do?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #12
Javi

Quote:
I'm kind of laughing outloud right now. My first trailer, some of you probably remember it, Fuzion Impact 303, I installed the EMS AFTER the T.S. There were plenty of folks that told me I should have done the install ahead of the TS as the generator (onboard Onan 5500W) would have it's own protection.....and besides, generators just don't have those kind of issues very often AND that locating it where I did would offer ZERO protection for the TS.

Then, when I traded that trailer in and got my new Toy Hauler in 2019, I remembered those conversations and I installed the P.I. EMS BEFORE the transfer switch, which obviously protects the TS, but offers ZERO protection for your trailer components if running on the generator. So, what's a fellow to do?
Frankly, it's a "Catch 22" situation... Have I seen gensets mess up? Yep

Which costs more the Transfer Switch or the A/C's, TV etc. ....
Old 04-15-2021, 09:39 AM   #13
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I was lucky when I installed the EMS in our rig. The load center is in the wall behind the toilet, so didn't have to stand on my head to install it. What I did was went to Lowes, bought a 5' length of the exact same cable that is used in our rig from the shore cable connection into the load center. I removed the cable from the load center, 3-#6 strand copper and 1-#8 solid copper bare ground, installed it into the line side of the EMS, and then installed the short piece of cable into the EMS and into the load center. Made the install very simple. Once the wiring was done, I attached the EMS to the exterior wall where the light is shining. One thing I did do was buy new ring connectors for the bare ground wire, #8 solid copper, to use instead of the ring connectors included with the EMS. These copper ring connectors are not the crimp style, but are the set screw type that have the ring along with the set screw, and were much easier to work with than trying to make a solid crimp on the ground wire. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blackburn-2...r-Lugs/4580085
I use these connectors for high voltage applications... they make aluminum versions as well.. they never come undone , wrap it with rubber splicing tape and a layer of standard electric tape to keep it from unraveling. .it’s what my local utility company uses
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7382A80A-F86C-4C5C-8AB6-4F9BE5F4D268.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	33010   Click image for larger version

Name:	17B57690-3B4A-460A-9E3B-CF9A729F9E77.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	33011