Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2021, 02:55 AM   #1
Bart68

Campfire edition

New 30RL owner here, anyone know what makes a 5th wheel the "campfire edition". I couldn't find any info about it.

Thanks
Bart68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:54 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart68 View Post
New 30RL owner here, anyone know what makes a 5th wheel the "campfire edition". I couldn't find any info about it.

Thanks
I found this... seems like a new marketing name for standard included items
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	34B047AC-EC05-4B67-9FB7-193DA2E5C4DF.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	32872   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB423560-F105-44C6-A718-52356664D9C9.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	32873   Click image for larger version

Name:	3BF5736A-2A85-4019-9EC8-BD0B13AE6E3F.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	32874  
Old 04-07-2021, 04:08 AM   #3
Bart68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I found this... seems like a new marketing name for standard included items
That is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks very much, I could not find anything like that.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:27 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Trailer construction and equipment included in packages changes, sometimes daily during a production run and model year changes can dramatically change how a trailer is made and what is in it. Packages also change from year to year along with the "marketing strategy" that Keystone uses to compete with their competition. In other words, building trailers is not much different from building cars or trucks: Every manufacturer is constantly seeking that "magic change" that keeps them ahead of the other manufacturers....

That said, there are some significant differences between the Sprinter, the Sprinter Campfire edition and the Sprinter Limited edition that go far beyond "standard packages" and "different decor"....

If you download the 2018 Sprinter brochure (the last year that Keystone included a "cutaway diagram of trailer construction") you can compare many of the "differences that make the trailers unique and separate them by class"....

For instance, the Sprinter travel trailers are made with aluminum floor joists, aluminum front wall structure, Astrofoil belly insulation and Keyed alike locks.

The Sprinter Campfire trailers have wood floor joists, wood front wall structure, no Astrofoil in the belly, and the door locks are not "keyed alike".

That is just a few of the differences that I think are "major/significant construction differences" that go far beyond a "optional package of convenience items" or "brand recognition packages"...

Essentially, there are some similarities between "Sprinter and Sprinter Campfire trailers" but there are also some "MAJOR" differences that make them stand on opposite ends of the trailer manufacturing process.

It's sort of like comparing a Ford to a Lincoln or a Chevrolet to a Cadillac. Sure, they're both made by the same manufacturer, but one is "basic, run of the mill" and the other has "significant state of the art equipment"

Trying to compare a Sprinter to a Sprinter Campfire is significantly more complex than trying to compare a Yukon to an Escalade... At least with the Yukon you still get the same basic chassis and same fenders, roof and door frames.... On the Sprinter and Campfire, even those can be significantly different.....

Take a look at the 2018 Sprinter/Campfire brochure, compare the construction and list of "features" on both trailers. I think you'll come to realize that it's "not even close to the same trailer, from the foundation all the way to the roof..... https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...jan2018_lr.pdf

If you're trying to get a detailed comparison of the two trailers, that 2018 brochure is the last one I know of that depicts the construction cut-away diagrams. After that, Keystone omitted the information that could help a customer make a comparative choice. That made the decision process even more confusing and difficult..... I won't argue whether it's more deceiving or a simplification of the buying process.... I'll leave that to you to decide.

Bottom line, they are "different trailers, different construction with different materials and different decor to mask all the bones changes".... The only thing that's similar is maybe floorplans and decals.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:52 AM   #5
Bart68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Trailer construction and equipment included in packages changes, sometimes daily during a production run and model year changes can dramatically change how a trailer is made and what is in it. Packages also change from year to year along with the "marketing strategy" that Keystone uses to compete with their competition. In other words, building trailers is not much different from building cars or trucks: Every manufacturer is constantly seeking that "magic change" that keeps them ahead of the other manufacturers....

That said, there are some significant differences between the Sprinter, the Sprinter Campfire edition and the Sprinter Limited edition that go far beyond "standard packages" and "different decor"....

If you download the 2018 Sprinter brochure (the last year that Keystone included a "cutaway diagram of trailer construction") you can compare many of the "differences that make the trailers unique and separate them by class"....

For instance, the Sprinter travel trailers are made with aluminum floor joists, aluminum front wall structure, Astrofoil belly insulation and Keyed alike locks.

The Sprinter Campfire trailers have wood floor joists, wood front wall structure, no Astrofoil in the belly, and the door locks are not "keyed alike".

That is just a few of the differences that I think are "major/significant construction differences" that go far beyond a "optional package of convenience items" or "brand recognition packages"...

Essentially, there are some similarities between "Sprinter and Sprinter Campfire trailers" but there are also some "MAJOR" differences that make them stand on opposite ends of the trailer manufacturing process.

It's sort of like comparing a Ford to a Lincoln or a Chevrolet to a Cadillac. Sure, they're both made by the same manufacturer, but one is "basic, run of the mill" and the other has "significant state of the art equipment"

Trying to compare a Sprinter to a Sprinter Campfire is significantly more complex than trying to compare a Yukon to an Escalade... At least with the Yukon you still get the same basic chassis and same fenders, roof and door frames.... On the Sprinter and Campfire, even those can be significantly different.....

Take a look at the 2018 Sprinter/Campfire brochure, compare the construction and list of "features" on both trailers. I think you'll come to realize that it's "not even close to the same trailer, from the foundation all the way to the roof..... https://keystone-rv-dealer-app.cdn.p...jan2018_lr.pdf

If you're trying to get a detailed comparison of the two trailers, that 2018 brochure is the last one I know of that depicts the construction cut-away diagrams. After that, Keystone omitted the information that could help a customer make a comparative choice. That made the decision process even more confusing and difficult..... I won't argue whether it's more deceiving or a simplification of the buying process.... I'll leave that to you to decide.

Bottom line, they are "different trailers, different construction with different materials and different decor to mask all the bones changes".... The only thing that's similar is maybe floorplans and decals.....
Thanks John! I pick the 5th wheel up in May, it was advertised as a Sprinter Campfire 30RL, but the graphics on the front only say Sprinter, the brochures show it should say Sprinter with the word Campfire underneath it if it is really the campfire edition.... I'm still trying to sort it out with the dealer.

Thank you very much for the detailed response!

Bart
Old 04-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Bart,

If you're buying a new one, 2021 or 2022 (yes the 22's are about to ship) they will be significantly different than the 2019's which are in the brochure Drew99999 posted in another thread. That brochure is dated "January 2018" and is likely the update for the 2019 model year. As much as things change month to month and model year to model year, I doubt if the same graphics were used then and are used now.

Just looking at Cougar Half Ton graphics, they've changed sometimes 2 or 3 different versions in one model year.

I'm not familiar with the Sprinter line, it's not very popular in this area for some reason, so I've only seen a couple. I can say they look nice, but knowing that some have wood floors and framing while others have aluminum floors and framing would make me very cautious about what I'm walking on and what's behind the front cap....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-07-2021, 09:25 AM   #7
Bart68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Bart,

If you're buying a new one, 2021 or 2022 (yes the 22's are about to ship) they will be significantly different than the 2019's which are in the brochure Drew99999 posted in another thread. That brochure is dated "January 2018" and is likely the update for the 2019 model year. As much as things change month to month and model year to model year, I doubt if the same graphics were used then and are used now.

Just looking at Cougar Half Ton graphics, they've changed sometimes 2 or 3 different versions in one model year.

I'm not familiar with the Sprinter line, it's not very popular in this area for some reason, so I've only seen a couple. I can say they look nice, but knowing that some have wood floors and framing while others have aluminum floors and framing would make me very cautious about what I'm walking on and what's behind the front cap....
Thanks John. I am looking at a 2021. Dealer answered me about an hour ago and says mine was advertised as Campfire, but mine is an upgraded version of the campfire and does not have the graphics. I attached a 2021 brochure. This one has 2" aluminum walls, and DynaSpan™ decking floors. Is wood or aluminum flooring preferred?

I also have to say, I have belonged to several owner's forums over the years for boats and trucks, this has been the most responsive forum I've ever been on.

Thanks again!

Bart
Old 04-07-2021, 06:25 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Bart,

Both the Sprinter Limited and the Sprinter have DynaSpan floor decking. Both floors are "wood". In previous years, the Sprinter Limited had aluminum floor joists UNDER the DynaSpan. The Campfire version has wood floor joists under the DynaSpan.

Both trailer lines have "laminated aluminum frame sidewalls.

The Limited has an aluminum frame front wall (behind the fiberglass cap) and the Campfire version (in previous years) had a wood framed front wall behind the fiberglass cap.....

I am not sure what is used to frame the floor and the front wall on the "current model trailers" so they may be the same this year. The information sent to you by the dealer does not address construction standards. That's why I posted the 2018/2019 brochure. That is the last year that Keystone published the cutaway drawings that show how the trailers are constructed.

Your dealer may have the information in some of his "dealer literature" or he may just "blow smoke to keep you satisfied".... In either case, if he can't answer your questions about "what material is used to frame the floor and the front wall" then I'd insist he contact Keystone to get the answer. Even if it doesn't matter at this point, in the future, when the floor starts creaking or sagging, you'll need to know how to repair it. The first step is determining how it's constructed.... Better to know before buying if you have an issue with one or the other material and absolutely imperative that you know before you start tearing the floor apart, in the unlucky event that you have to repair the front cap or the floor.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #9
PSD Andy

We have a 5th wheel Sprinter Campfire, its a 2018 model year (build date of 10/17) and it has aluminum floor joists with the Dynaspan and aluminum wall studs, but has wood ceiling trusses. I don't' remember all the differences since our purchase. Our dealer was in WI and sold both lines of Sprinter, Cougar and Montana so we looked between the Sprinters and Cougar lines since that's where our budget was. From what I recall our Campfire gave us a basic remote control for slide-outs and rear stabilizers vs the In-Command, no Maxx air fans in the vents, laminate countertops instead of solid surface and standard ductwork venting in the attic instead of the racetrack? circular loop the other trailers had. Overall we didn't feel like we were missing out on much by choosing the Campfire, for our needs it was more than adequate anyways.

Like was mentioned earlier Keystone seems to change things around all the time so what was true back then may not be the case now but I thought Campfire was a good build back when ours rolled off the line.

Overall it's been a great trailer these 4 years. Only mishap was the leaking gearbox on 2 of the 3 slide-out motors. Some small bubbles on roof membrane, drip pans were installed after that discovery. Other than that no need to go back to the dealer for anything. It just works and has held together fine. I see some negative issues on this site about trailers people buy but ours didn't fall into that category. We've been very happy with this trailer and hope to use it for many years to come.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:58 AM   #10
Opa 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart68 View Post

Thanks
Did you ever get your answer to this question? We purchased a 2021 Sprinter 30RL in September 2021. I have never seen another one that just says Sprinter on the cap only Sprinter limited and like you I cannot find any information on the differences between a 2021 sprinter vs limited or campfire. It makes me wonder if the other two options even exist anymore

Anyway we have not had any trouble with our sprinkler it has been a really good solid unit for us. How is yours working for you?

Also did you ever find out if aluminum floor joists is better than wood or is wood better. Ours is aluminum
Old 08-31-2022, 03:55 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa 1 View Post
Did you ever get your answer to this question? We purchased a 2021 Sprinter 30RL in September 2021. I have never seen another one that just says Sprinter on the cap only Sprinter limited and like you I cannot find any information on the differences between a 2021 sprinter vs limited or campfire. It makes me wonder if the other two options even exist anymore

Anyway we have not had any trouble with our sprinkler it has been a really good solid unit for us. How is yours working for you?

Also did you ever find out if aluminum floor joists is better than wood or is wood better. Ours is aluminum
The OP hasn't been on the site for a year and a half. Perhaps someone else can respond with a knowledgeable answer. I believe I would want aluminum floor joists vs wood if I had a choice.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 04:15 AM   #12
Opa 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The OP hasn't been on the site for a year and a half. Perhaps someone else can respond with a knowledgeable answer. I believe I would want aluminum floor joists vs wood if I had a choice.
Thank you for the reply. Our floor joists are aluminum.

We had good luck so far with our Sprinter owned it now for 11 months. Took it from Alabama to Wisconsin and back with several local weekend trips. Headed to Virginia soon for another bigger trip, we will see how it does then but so far really good experience
Old 08-31-2022, 05:48 AM   #13
bsmith0404

It’s been a little while since I was in sales so I don’t recall all the differences and can’t speak for current builds, but the campfire and limited used to be (assume they still are) a downscaled version of a Sprinter designed to come in at a lower prices point. Some of the differences were auto leveling and a ladder on the Sprinter, electric stabs and no ladder on the campfire. There were some other interior differences and if i remember correctly the entry steps were different. The campfire used to come in around $10-15k less than a Sprinter.

As for the floor, both use dynaspan, the floor joists were aluminum. I don’t know of any Keystones in recent years, other than Springdale and Hideout, that use wood studs. IMO, aluminum is better, plenty strong and nothing to rot.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:02 AM   #14
Opa 1

Many thanks this was very helpful information