Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
onsite

New Member 2510rb

Just wanted to say Hi!
Just traded in my 18ft wildwood for Passport 2510rb 28ft,
A Lot more room in this one , plenty of closet space.Checking out the Keystone forum for the first time.
onsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Thanks for checking us out and joining our group. I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy the 10' of extra space! Lots of Passport owners here so you are not alone. Congratulations and welcome.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
W5WI

Congrats and welcome aboard!
2017 Ford F-250 4X4 CC 6.7 diesel

W5WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:00 AM   #4
Clark

Congrats on the new passport, We own the same model and we are really liking it so far.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
onsite

Fishing , switch

Just came back from a trip , did alittle saltwater fishing on the east coast , for a few days,had a great time. Caught A few Flounder , Very relaxing.
I would like to install a battery cut off switch, I know the sensors in the cab will draw on the battery when not plugged in for a while. Does anybody recommend a good quality switch that is easy to install next to the BAT box?
Have a great Holiday !!
Thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
f6bits

I currently have a knife switch mounted on top of the battery, but the battery box doesn’t close all the way. I’d like to give this one a try:
http://www.amazon.com/Side-Battery-M...xgy_auto_img_b

There are others, but I’m trying to keep installation easy. Some of the key switches can be mounted on the battery box if you have enough clearance inside the box:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000MTB7XS

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The second battery switch, the one with the key is what I installed. On the link listed in this thread, it's $19 or you can get it at Tractor Supply for $15. Easy install, just disconnect the battery negative lead, connect it to one side of the new switch and connect the other side of the switch to the negative terminal of the battery (where you disconnected the original lead). be sure to use at least 6 guage wiring, preferably 4 guage will be even better.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
f6bits

JRTJH, where did you mount it? Do you have a picture?

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 12-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
SteveC7010

If you pick up a plastic outdoor electric box and cover plate, it should be fairly easy to install that switch in the box with some nice neat wiring. That way it will be protected from the elements and from accidental shorting.

Several RV manufacturers do this and mount the electric box on the front piece of the frame right where the A-frame rails go under the body of the coach.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
JRTJH, where did you mount it? Do you have a picture?
I have a fifth wheel, mounted the switch to the bulkhead just above the batteries in the front compartment. I bought a gray plastic outdoor electrical box and cover, drilled a hole in the cover large enough for the switch keyway to fit through, mounted the switch to the cover, then ran the battery cables up through the hole in the box, attached them to the switch and then attached that assembly to the box. Really easy to do, total time probably 20 minutes, most of that was at the workbench configuring the cover to accept the switch keyway and drilling the 2 holes to secure the switch to the cover.

Sorry, the trailer is in storage about 30 miles away, so I can't get a pix, but hopefully this explanation will help.

I believe you have a travel trailer, so the switch would need to be protected from weather. Putting it in the box will work, but you need to seal the bottom hole where the cables come through with silicone to make the inside of the box waterproof. you could mount it on the tongue next to the battery box, or if you have a compartment at the front of the trailer, mount it inside against a vertical wall so you don't knock it off when loading the compartment.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
f6bits

I’ll give the trailer a look tomorrow. I’m pretty sure I’d have to add a box like Steve described.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 12-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Here are some pictures to help explain (I HOPE):

The box is gray plastic, at Lowe's, it's called CARLON 3/4" 19 Cu. In, Gray, Single Gang FS Box

There are several choices, The SHALLOW box is not deep enough for the battery switch to fit, so get the DEEP box with ONE entry hole in the bottom.

The cover is gray plastic, at Lowe's, it's called CARLON 4.30" Rectangle Plastic Electrical Box Cover

I drilled a 3/4" hole in the center of the cover, placed the neck of the switch up through (from the back) and enlarged the hole as needed so it would fit flush. Then I drilled the 2 holes for the screws that hold the switch to the cover and installed them.

Next, I mounted the box where I wanted it, ran the TWO battery cables (original one from battery ground and the new one to connect to the battery) through the hole in the installed box. Connected both cable ends to the back lugs on the battery switch and then pulled the cables back through the hole as I positioned the switch/cover in place. Next I connected the new cable to the negative terminal on the battery (the original one was still connected to the trailer ground) and operated the switch to make sure it worked as planned. Then install the 4 screws to attach the cover to the box, use silicone to seal around the neck of the battery switch and to fill the hole in the bottom where the cables enter the box.

The switch comes with 2 keys, I keep one INSIDE the trailer in a drawer as a spare and one is stored in the battery box to keep handy for use.

Hope this helps a little and isn't too confusing.....
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
onsite

Battery switch connection

Thanks for all the details on the battery switch, went to discount auto and found a two key switch and cable . 
Name:   battery%20switch.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  2.9 KB
Will install tomorrow, It is small enough to place in the top of battery box cover. I'll drill a hole in cover for the round key stub to stick out on top.
Will send picture when finished.
Thanks again

Have a great Christmas.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #14
f6bits

If it’s on top of the battery box, will water get inside the electrical connection(s)? I don’t know if the key socket is weatherproof.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 12-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
onsite

protect switch

OK Thanks, SDayman
I'll check it out tomorrow, Will cover the switch with a waterproof box.