Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
Spletbr

Walking on the roof

Montana High Country question....where can/can’t I walk on the roof for slide cleaning? What special precautions should one take?
Cooper and Penny (pups)
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Pretty much everywhere is ok, except for on top of the vents,A/C shroud, and skylight. LOL.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:13 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

What Chuck said.... BUT that said, the information about "roof walkability" is based on a "nominal sized person".... What's that ??? Keystone won't identify a weight, but the "typical automotive driver/passenger weight" is defined as 150 pounds.....

IF (another escape word) you weigh "around 150 pounds" or in that range, then the roof is walkable.... On the other hand, if (that word again) you weigh 450 pounds, I don't think any part of the roof is "safe to walk on"....

So, within reason, "walkability" is as much who is up there as it is "what's safe"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
travelin texans

And if using the rv ladder that 150lb individual may seem like too much or at least feel ls like it when stepping on the rungs of those flimsy things.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
And if using the rv ladder that 150lb individual may seem like too much or at least feel ls like it when stepping on the rungs of those flimsy things.
If I had a "roof mount RV ladder" (which I don't), the first thing I'd do to my RV is remove that "death trap"... It's too flimsy to use to climb "vertically to the roof while leveraging it out with my body weight" and it's too risky to stand on "sun damaged plastic rungs" on any ladder.... That said, all the fall will do is put me in the hospital....

From the "RV perspective" I've seen more roof damage and more rear wall damage from those ladders being used to access the roof and worse, from being used to carry a bicycle or a blue tote or a couple of zero-gravity recliners.....

If you haven't guessed it by now, I've got nothing positive to say about RV roof ladders, except, they belong in a land fill rather than on the back of an RV.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:42 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I agree about the ladder. Don't know what they're meant for (maybe decoration?) but definitely not to be used. Plus, if you do use them they not only bend easily, they come loose from the back wall and become dangerous.

I always have my roof cleaned and sealed yearly. The first time I took it in it came back with the top rungs bent in from the people using it to get on the roof. They no longer do that. Also, I clean my slides from the sides with a ladder vs getting on the roof.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:47 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

All the burly guys will complain about the ladder but little spry young folk who are still skinny can get up that rear ladder in a pinch. I have a 12' telescoping ladder that I use to get on the roof and hook it over the ladder that came on my camper. My camper is old but I was surprised at how poorly it was originally fastened to the back of the camper. Most of the original screws had rusted and were broken and have subsequently replaced.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:57 PM   #8
G Giroux

Well my 2c. I never go on my roof for what I think are good reason: i) I'm close to 70 yrs old and don't repair as easily as I use to ii) I'm also on the heavy set side, so stressing the roof (or ladder) is not a good idea iii) slippery when wet on an arched or slopped roof not the best footing. So easy solution A) truck wash typically have overhead showers which does a fair job B) paying for an RV roof repair/reconditioning is well worth the expense and safety factor. GPG

Tags
roof