Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
Ken / Claudia

Another day on the freeway

Saturday I was approaching/overtaking a RV of some type traveling in the middle of 3 lanes. In a 65 zone it was traveling about 50-55. I do not mine that it was at that speed, I just go around slow moving vehicles. I did note that I could not see any TV nor it's side mirrors. I thought for a second it was a motorhome, but the rear wheel location showed it had to be a trailered RV. As I caught up I was nearing the off ramp I needed.
As I got into the slow lane, I could see a right side flapping baggage door. I noted it was a 5th wheel RV about 30 ft long. It was being pulled by a red pickup with non towing mirrors. No wonder they did not stop to secure the door they could not see it was open. Than, oh crap the TV had a right rear tire nearly flat. I sped up and was going to drive on shoulder along the combo to warn them and noted that the tow vehicle was a 1500 (half ton) full size pickup. I changed my mind and drove off the freeway to my exit. You just cannot fix stupid.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
rhagfo

Ken hope you didn’t get a concussion shaking your head in disbelief!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Almost did, but in that mere split second I went from wanting to warn a couple of possible tire failure to, I am not driving along side of them on the shoulder. Which is illegal by the way. I would be open for a citation over something they beleive is normal RVing.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #4
travelin texans

Seems reading any towable forum that if you have a F150 you're good to tow any rv on the market, how did that 1/2 ton get that kind of reputation.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:50 PM   #5
nellie1289

One of my neighbors friends was visiting and he said hey you need to come check out his f150 ecoboost and new trailer since you are into this kind of thing. So I do This is the hitch setup. How does anyone think this is a good idea??? Sparks. Lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0E194E8F-879C-451B-820B-790A7B813168.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	31901  
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:44 AM   #6
spicercars

It amazes me the things you see during your travels. But that's half the fun.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:13 AM   #7
notanlines

Nellie, I don't see a problem. The safety chains are doing their job, dragging the pavement so there is no built-up static electricity. The bed is full of bicycles so there isn't enough cargo capacity left for a WDH. We don't want to exceed that capacity! This setup allows for greater vision at night with higher beams!
Ouch, I seem to have bitten my tongue which was stuck firmly in my cheek!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:14 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
It amazes me the things you see during your travels. But that's half the fun.
I don’t have to travel, they bring ‘em too me

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:02 AM   #9
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I don’t have to travel, they bring ‘em too me
True. And then you are a "bad guy" , just after their money if you say anything to them.
Ken got it right "You just cannot fix stupid".
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:45 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Likely the first comment from both Ken's and Matt's "half ton driver" would be:

But we never load much cargo, only are towing a few miles and we don't have any fresh water onboard.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
True. And then you are a "bad guy" , just after their money if you say anything to them.
Ken got it right "You just cannot fix stupid".
RMc
I only fix what’s broken in the trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:05 AM   #12
nellie1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Likely the first comment from both Ken's and Matt's "half ton driver" would be:

But we never load much cargo, only are towing a few miles and we don't have any fresh water onboard.....
Ha, the funny thing John is if the hitch was set right(which by the way we reset it for him to get the trailer level the truck actually leveled out. The trailer was actually a very light weight trailer perfect for a half ton truck, but when you set your hitch like that, you are begging for problems. Also, its a weight distribution hitch, the reason he didnt have the bars on it because they would "scrape the ground" he said. I'm like, no kidding, what led you to that conclusion, the chains laying on ground ?
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #13
Port List

The only thing worse than underestimating someone's common sense is overestimating it. Lord watch over them.

2018 Jayco JayFlight 195 SLX
2018 F-150
Port List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:56 PM   #14
lunge motorsport

So I read this post about a fellow RV’r that was traveling down the highway with a potential catastrophic failure, that in worse case scenario could take the life of the owner and additional innocents, and the forum replies with smug comments that you can’t fix stupid? I submit that missing the exit and making an attempt to alert the driver of the hazard is where my mind went. Where’s the fellowship with you’all?
Old 02-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #15
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunge motorsport View Post
So I read this post about a fellow RV’r that was traveling down the highway with a potential catastrophic failure, that in worse case scenario could take the life of the owner and additional innocents, and the forum replies with smug comments that you can’t fix stupid? I submit that missing the exit and making an attempt to alert the driver of the hazard is where my mind went. Where’s the fellowship with you’all?
Last time I checked it was a free country (but a threat to that looms everyday as of late) and you can tow whatever you think you can get down the highway. Anything way out of bounds is guaranteed it will catch the eye of legal authorities . After all that is "their job".
If you feel so inclined to try and pull people over and explain their safety hazards, go right ahead. In the state where I live it is legal to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle. Your welcome to execute your passion here. Just be careful....
Bottom line is (once again) "You just can't fix stupid"
RMc
Old 02-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #16
LHaven

Quote:
Speaking only for myself, when I see somebody that incompetent making that many simultaneous mistakes, my thought is not to allow his next one to be sideswiping me off the road. Cops and soldiers get paid to walk into danger, I don't.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

If you read the issues Ken posted it was obviously an individual that did not CARE what kind of situation they were in nor did they obviously care about any possible consequences. I've met them before.

I've passed a similar combo; truck not equipped for towing and in terrible shape pulling an old TT down the highway about the speed Ken mentioned. Awning fabric was flopping all over the place and the awning frame just kept pulling off the trailer going out 3-4' then back, shaking, rattling and rolling (I guess). On the other side the hatch door was open and a length of rope out flopping in the breeze, hitting the roadway almost to the tires. I flagged them and literally made them stop because I was concerned the awning would catch somebody or some thing. Pointed out the problems; they're response? The driver, in a somewhat surly manner, said "that's the way it is. It does that. You're the THIRD driver that's told us that" (like it's my fault). I bid him a good day and took off.

As I initially mentioned folks that travel like that don't care and, like Ken, I'm not going to miss and exit, put myself and mine in jeopardy nor get a citation trying to point out what they already know (or should). Not being unfriendly, uncaring or someone that doesn't want to help another - simply expecting a TINY bit of common sense on the other end.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:17 PM   #18
Ken / Claudia

Regard to post #14, the tire was overloaded to the point that it appeared nearly flat. Although I could not read the side wall, because it was a 1500. I suspect it was a "P" passenger tire. But, what ever tire it was it was overloaded. I can't help or fix that.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:44 PM   #19
lunge motorsport

Alright everyone who quoted my comment, and then re-commented on it.
Re read it and tell me where I said I would pull this driver over.

I don't care what the guy is pulling or what he's pulling it with...But....If I saw his rig with a flat tire on one side traveling down the highway with his crap just a hangin, and he appeared oblivious, I would alert him of this. I would hope he would do the same for me. It may be my family taken out when it spins out of control. I consider it paying it forward.

Go ahead and argue your justification for inaction. I would alert you too given the same situation, even if your rig sucked and you didn't have a clue, and....here's where it comes home, even if I knew it was one of you who argued against alerting him.

Bring it on...
Old 02-09-2021, 07:20 PM   #20
Laredo Tugger

Well where I come from you have to pull over to have "fellowship". Just sayin...
RMc