Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
wincrasher

New trailer update

Just wanted to post an update on my new trailer. And a few questions.

I picked up my new Outback 298RET a few weeks ago. Had an extensive walk-thru and everything was perfect - no repairs needed, which was quite a surprise. They had filled all the tanks to nearly overflow to prove no leaks and then dumped them. They set up a wd hitch with sway and sent me on my way.

When I got home, I unhooked the friction bar and backed the trailer into it's spot at the house. To my dismay, the tow head where the ball for the friction bar attaches was all bent up. I went back to the dealer, and after much protesting, they agree to replace it. They say it's impossible to damage other than backing up with the friction bar attached. I know they didn't believe that I had the friction bar unattached, but they replaced it anyways. Left happy, but disappointed everyone thought I was a lying scumbag.

Spent the next couple weekends loading my stuff and getting ready for my trip to Maryland. I was surprised I had so much stuff! I did thin it down quite a bit, but the "essentials" are still quite alot. I did replace the crappy TV in the living area with a nice 37" LG, and put a 24" samsung on the wall in the bedroom area. I bought and set up a rig for a DirectTV slimline travler satellite dish. It's kinda heavy and a bit of a pain to set up, but I didn't have to have my roof drilled into and figure out out to get all the wiring to the entertainment cabinet.

I was happy with the tow to Maryland. I only managed 12mpg with my Silverado. You can definately tell there is a heavy load back there when you hit bouncy sections of highway, but other than that, it was no problem cruising at 68 mph. Unloaded my truck is getting 22 mpg, so I was hoping for a bit better economy. But I can deal with 12.

When I got to my destination, I was given a back in space. Again, unhooked the friction bar, and proceeded to back in. When I was done I discovered I tore up another tow head. I suspect the ball for the friction bar is making contact with toungue or frame of the trailer. I see no paint scraps or other evidence. So my first question is what the hell am I doing wrong? Frustrating!

Another thing I noticed when I got to Maryland was a squeek, squeek, squeek from the trailer wheels. I noticed because I had the truck window down while we were proceeding to our camp space. At the dealership, I had asked about the "easy lube" fittings for the bearings. The tech said they don't recommend that I do anything with them (it just makes an awful mess), that I should be good for a year, and just to bring it back for re-packing each year. That sounds screwy to me. Now I'm wondering if they checked them at all during the prep. Do most of you lube your bearings periodically? Or is the tech right? Or maybe it's not the bearings at all and is a brake dragging? Need advice on this one.

So even though these minor issues, I'm very satisfied with my trailer and the new truck.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Sounds like you are doing well with the new rig overall.

I think the reason you are tearing up the friction ball platform is that this is just too much trailer for a friction sway control and the weak point is the little platform arm itself. Your rig is a 9,000# GVWR trailer. To get any effect, you have to tighten the friction firmly. You can loosen the grip, but that pretty much kills any sway control.

IMHO, friction sway control really stops being useful in any trailer heavier than 5,500# GVWR. Anything heavier should be using the Reese Dual Cam or equivalent where the weight of the trailer is used in the sway control process. The Hensley Arrow is a great choice, too, but very pricey.

As for the squeaking, I think topping off the Easy Lubes is a reasonable thing to do before any long trip, even if the trailer is brand new. My bearings get packed annually as part of the de-winterizing routine before we tow anywhere.

It is also possible that a magnet is dragging. Either way, pulling the wheels and drums for a full inspection is the only way to know for sure.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Just wanted to post an update on my new trailer. And a few questions.

I picked up my new Outback 298RET a few weeks ago. Had an extensive walk-thru and everything was perfect - no repairs needed, which was quite a surprise. They had filled all the tanks to nearly overflow to prove no leaks and then dumped them. They set up a wd hitch with sway and sent me on my way.

When I got home, I unhooked the friction bar and backed the trailer into it's spot at the house. To my dismay, the tow head where the ball for the friction bar attaches was all bent up. I went back to the dealer, and after much protesting, they agree to replace it. They say it's impossible to damage other than backing up with the friction bar attached. I know they didn't believe that I had the friction bar unattached, but they replaced it anyways. Left happy, but disappointed everyone thought I was a lying scumbag.

Spent the next couple weekends loading my stuff and getting ready for my trip to Maryland. I was surprised I had so much stuff! I did thin it down quite a bit, but the "essentials" are still quite alot. I did replace the crappy TV in the living area with a nice 37" LG, and put a 24" samsung on the wall in the bedroom area. I bought and set up a rig for a DirectTV slimline travler satellite dish. It's kinda heavy and a bit of a pain to set up, but I didn't have to have my roof drilled into and figure out out to get all the wiring to the entertainment cabinet.

I was happy with the tow to Maryland. I only managed 12mpg with my Silverado. You can definately tell there is a heavy load back there when you hit bouncy sections of highway, but other than that, it was no problem cruising at 68 mph. Unloaded my truck is getting 22 mpg, so I was hoping for a bit better economy. But I can deal with 12.

When I got to my destination, I was given a back in space. Again, unhooked the friction bar, and proceeded to back in. When I was done I discovered I tore up another tow head. I suspect the ball for the friction bar is making contact with toungue or frame of the trailer. I see no paint scraps or other evidence. So my first question is what the hell am I doing wrong? Frustrating!

Another thing I noticed when I got to Maryland was a squeek, squeek, squeek from the trailer wheels. I noticed because I had the truck window down while we were proceeding to our camp space. At the dealership, I had asked about the "easy lube" fittings for the bearings. The tech said they don't recommend that I do anything with them (it just makes an awful mess), that I should be good for a year, and just to bring it back for re-packing each year. That sounds screwy to me. Now I'm wondering if they checked them at all during the prep. Do most of you lube your bearings periodically? Or is the tech right? Or maybe it's not the bearings at all and is a brake dragging? Need advice on this one.

So even though these minor issues, I'm very satisfied with my trailer and the new truck.
That torn up tow head ball is a mystery. I use two friction bars on my TT & have had no problem. The only thing that I can see doing that is a friction bar that is frozen in place. I keep my bars very tight & have not had that problem Your MPG is the same as mine towing, 12 MPG. I'm hoping that it get better as the truck gets over the 30,000 mile mark, but that won't be for a while. I've received the same advise regarding repacking the wheels, do it yearly. They are supposed to be packed at the factory before delivery. Keep us posted on that friction bar problem!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
wincrasher

Perhaps I need to clarify.

When I got to my destination, I removed the friction bar and everything was perfect. I made sure to check condition, as I did suspect that the friction bar was actually too tight.

I only discovered damage after I was done backing into my campsite. That's why I suspect it's making contact with the trailer frame or tongue.

While underway, I do notice some big rigs pushing me, but I haven't seen any sway. I definately am skeptical of any benefit this friction bar provides. Seems pretty dinky to do any real good.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #5
jq1031

The two friction bars tightened all the way control most of the sway, but like said earlier the dual cam is better, Hensley is NO sway!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Perhaps I need to clarify.

When I got to my destination, I removed the friction bar and everything was perfect. I made sure to check condition, as I did suspect that the friction bar was actually too tight.

I only discovered damage after I was done backing into my campsite. That's why I suspect it's making contact with the trailer frame or tongue.
The next time you back up with the trailer, see if you can have someone watch the ball platform closely as you do it. That may give you an answer.

If you can, how about posting a pic of the trailer A-frame and the ball platform when it is all hitched up. That may also give one of us another clue.

Quote:
While underway, I do notice some big rigs pushing me, but I haven't seen any sway. I definately am skeptical of any benefit this friction bar provides. Seems pretty dinky to do any real good.
I think a single friction sway control arm is not appropriate for a rig of your size. Even two of them is really pushing it for anything larger than a 7,800 GVWR rig.

If you already have a Reese (or one of the Bargman family of hitches) WD setup, it is not terribly expensive to add the DualCam parts. You do not have to purchase a whole new system. In fact, the cost of a replacement platform for the sway ball and the addition of a second friction sway arm might be just about the same as the DC kit. Food for thought.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
wincrasher

It will be a few months before I move the trailer again, so I've got time to contemplate a new setup.

If I went with the dual cam, I probably need a whole new rig, as I don't think my bars are compatible. Also, I'd have to find an installer, as I'm not comfortable doing it myself after watching the youtube on it.

Do you have to also disengage the dual cam before backing up?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
It will be a few months before I move the trailer again, so I've got time to contemplate a new setup.
Not a problem. Maybe you could post a pic of the damaged ball platform.

Quote:
If I went with the dual cam, I probably need a whole new rig, as I don't think my bars are compatible. Also, I'd have to find an installer, as I'm not comfortable doing it myself after watching the youtube on it.
What kind of WD setup do you have now?

Quote:
Do you have to also disengage the dual cam before backing up?
Normally, no. However they do tend to creak and groan on slow, sharp turns which is normal as the cams move on and off the detents so some folks loosen them up just to cut back on the sound. The dual cams are held in place with same chain and clip-ups as the regular weight bars, at least on the Reese (and cousins) systems.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
wincrasher

Don't know the brand off-hand. I'll check tonite when I get home.

I can also post a few pics if the sun cooperates.