Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2021, 01:30 PM   #1
SRDobb

New RVers with many questions

Yesterday we put a deposit on a Cougar RDS travel trailer. We're working on the big items (hitch (truck is sized fine), storage, insurance, etc.), but I have plenty of small item questions.

1. What type of surge protector to buy?
2. Best water filter?
3. Best black water chemicals?
4. What gauge extension cords to get?
5. Do we need electrical adapters? What kind?
6. Wheel chocks and leveling blocks?
7. Do we need a sewer adapter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
SRDobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The specifics of the new trailer and the tow vehicle helps a lot in trying to answer some of those questions.

For some answers;

Don't buy a "surge" protector. Get an EMS (electrical management system). Progressive Industries and Surge Guard by Southwire appear to be the most popular units.

Water filters come in all shapes, sizes and prices. Just google RV filters, look on Amazon or browse the Camping World site. Many use the little blue inline Camco water hose filters. I've used many of them but they aren't the best.

You will get all kinds of opinions on black water treatment. The ONE thing to remember is use LOTS of water. Always put water into the tank (few/several gallons) before using it so waste is suspended vs "stuck".

Gauge of extension cords depends on intended usage.

The type of camping and where will determine what kind of adapters. Your trailer model will determine what kind of AC power you have (50A/30A - why model is helpful). I always carry an adapter to 15/20A just in case. If 50A I carry a 50/30A adapter.

Wheel chocks/leveling blocks - your trailer model will have a bearing on that.

You will need sewer hose, clear sewer outlet connection (IMO), fittings for the commercial sewer inlet and other misc. items.

You did not mention a water regulator. You need to get one and get the good ones that are adjustable with a gauge, not the cheap inline things sold at Walmart.

A little more info and the answers can be a little more specific.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #3
SRDobb

Cougar 25RDS (travel trailer)

Thanks for the prompt response. The beginning of my 1st post I thought I said it was a Cougar 25 RDS.
SRDobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:35 PM   #4
Cbrez

Great advice from sourdough. Regarding water filtration, I like the dual canister system. First canister filters particles and second canister has a carbon filter for taste. The filters are removable so it’s easy to inspect the cartridges for cleanliness. Since we don’t use the RV for months at a time, we can remove the filters and completely dry them out until next use.

Good website for further info https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/s...lter-canisters

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:35 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks, the 25RDS wasn't there, just RDS.

Looks like your trailer is a bumper pull and doesn't show a 50A option. If so a 30A/20A dogbone would be all you need.

Wheel chocks come in all kinds of brands and types. I've used metal folding ones (I like best) and plastic of all kinds. You need 2 sets. Always chock before detaching from the truck.

Leveling blocks; some use boards cut to length, some use the plastic lego blocks and some use the Andersen levelers. I used all of them, ended up with the Andersen levelers and liked them the best; they come with chocks for each leveler on the lifted side.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:59 PM   #6
roadglide

Being a half ton towable at 900 pounds hitch weight dry. I would suggest airbags if your towing with 1/2 ton early model truck .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #7
ewbldavis

Welcome and congrats! Nice layout - I love the 5er version of that.

Get a couple sewer hoses - recommendation is (2) 10ft. hoses. Get one with the stepped threaded elbow. Here is something similar to what I have: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-D04-...M3NRW1ND51P7D6

These guys are spot on with filter. We use Culligan single and buy replacement filters. Also, buy a 90-degree fitting for hose connection at camper.

I've had great luck with the cheap plastic chocks (Trailer Life Brand) from Camping World, and the yellow lego levelers are great too. Recommend at least one 10-pack.

Check Amazon - we bought a 50A-15A adapter that threads into RV for at home (maybe yours is only 30A?). Also we have a 50A-30A adapter (if you are only 30A, probably not needed).

Also we like the orange TST drop-ins. I've tried a plethora of chemicals and like these the best. Again, Amazon to the rescue: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Ultra-C...VGAAQ5DKVE2FRG

For a travel trailer, I also HIGHLY recommend the Equalizer 4-point sway/WD hitch. I loved mine.

Happy Camping!

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

SRDobb: One of the less sanitary jobs when setting up camp is to open your sewer drain and find a few dribbles come out before you can get the hose connected to connect to the sewer drain. This usually means some intense hands washing. Get one of these:
https://www.campingworld.com/twist-o...5&gclsrc=3p.ds

You don't have to buy it from Camping World, just found their ad first. I have three drains on my camper and open all of them and leave this final drain closed until I want to dump. Saves me the ignoble task of crawling under the slide to open the galley tank drain and getting down on my knees to open the other gray and the black tank.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:40 PM   #9
Gary R.

Hello SR, and welcome to the forum!

Great advice provided from the folks.

Have fun and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 04:32 AM   #10
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:40 AM   #11
gearhead

Try to find a box or 2 of nitrile gloves. I always wear them when doing anything with the sewer hose. Before covid Harbor Freight had plenty in stock. Last time I was there the stock was low and the price had doubled.
I didn't do any research on your trailer so I don't know if it has leveling jacks. Assuming it does I would question if you need leveling blocks to drive the tires up on. Might be good to carry just in case though. You would want something to put under the jacks, a piece of wood or plastic square made for that. Do not use an impact gun to lower the leveling jacks. A drill is OK.
Get a threaded adapter to fit on the end of your sewer hose where it goes in the campground pipe. Also a soft rubber donut. Some campgrounds aren't threaded and will still want you to have a "solid" connection to prevent leaks and smells. For your trailers black tank we use Dawn dish soap and Downey liquid fabric softener. Sometimes it will get stinky and and I pour a liquid fragrance down the toilet. I never use the toss in packets. I have heard stories of them not completely dissolving.
Get you an extra water supply hose. I'm using Zero Gravity brand. Stores easily without kinking. X2 on that brass water pressure regulator with gauge.
Main thing is don't stress over it. Get out there and relax and see the country from something besides an airplane window and a hotel room.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:46 AM   #12
notanlines

"leveling jacks"
I'm only familiar with 'stabilizing jacks,' not leveling jacks. Your RV most likely came with stabilizing jacks and they should NEVER be used for leveling. Only spacers under the low side and the front jack should be used to level any RV.
Welcome to the forum, by the way.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:00 AM   #13
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"leveling jacks"
I'm only familiar with 'stabilizing jacks,' not leveling jacks. Your RV most likely came with stabilizing jacks and they should NEVER be used for leveling. Only spacers under the low side and the front jack should be used to level any RV.
Welcome to the forum, by the way.
That is true.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:25 AM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The specifics of the new trailer and the tow vehicle helps a lot in trying to answer some of those questions.

For some answers;

Don't buy a "surge" protector. Get an EMS (electrical management system). Progressive Industries and Surge Guard by Southwire appear to be the most popular units.

Water filters come in all shapes, sizes and prices. Just google RV filters, look on Amazon or browse the Camping World site. Many use the little blue inline Camco water hose filters. I've used many of them but they aren't the best.

You will get all kinds of opinions on black water treatment. The ONE thing to remember is use LOTS of water. Always put water into the tank (few/several gallons) before using it so waste is suspended vs "stuck".

Gauge of extension cords depends on intended usage.

The type of camping and where will determine what kind of adapters. Your trailer model will determine what kind of AC power you have (50A/30A - why model is helpful). I always carry an adapter to 15/20A just in case. If 50A I carry a 50/30A adapter.

Wheel chocks/leveling blocks - your trailer model will have a bearing on that.

You will need sewer hose, clear sewer outlet connection (IMO), fittings for the commercial sewer inlet and other misc. items.

You did not mention a water regulator. You need to get one and get the good ones that are adjustable with a gauge, not the cheap inline things sold at Walmart.

A little more info and the answers can be a little more specific.

What brand water pressure regulator do you recommend ? They have a bunch of Chinese no name brands that all look alike on Amazon. Do you have a name brand regulator?
Old 02-06-2021, 08:09 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
What brand water pressure regulator do you recommend ? They have a bunch of Chinese no name brands that all look alike on Amazon. Do you have a name brand regulator?
Here is a link to what I think is a good regulator. I think it's made in CA or at least that's where Valterra was started;

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...a-571859709817
Old 02-06-2021, 09:32 AM   #16
Gumby52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Thanks, the 25RDS wasn't there, just RDS.

Looks like your trailer is a bumper pull and doesn't show a 50A option. If so a 30A/20A dogbone would be all you need.

Wheel chocks come in all kinds of brands and types. I've used metal folding ones (I like best) and plastic of all kinds. You need 2 sets. Always chock before detaching from the truck.

Leveling blocks; some use boards cut to length, some use the plastic lego blocks and some use the Andersen levelers. I used all of them, ended up with the Andersen levelers and liked them the best; they come with chocks for each leveler on the lifted side.

Danny gave you lots of good advice, the only thing I would add is I got a 30A/50A dogbone too. Sometimes in some cg's the 30A receptacle on the pedestal is really burned up from people plugging in hot, so I'll use the 50A outlet because they don't seem to be used as much. Or maybe it's just people with larger trailers know enough the kill the breaker before you connect.

Gary & Judy
and of course the 2 shelties
2018 Cougar Half-Ton 22RBS
2017 F-250 6.2L
Gumby52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #17
terrythetech

https://www.loveyourrv.com/love-your-rv-forum/
Ray addresses all these questions and more. Helped us out a ton when we were starting out.
And he pulls a Cougar!
terrythetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:23 AM   #18
GHen

Lots of great advice above!

On the adapter, definitely get the dog bone style which is about 1’ long. The little short ones will fail when you really need it.

On the water filters, I normally fill up at home so I know the quality of the water, but on the road I just use the Blue inline ones, you can get them anywhere. When I use them a bunch of times I take the old one and leave it in the garage to wash the cars, limits the amount of water spots I get.

And ditto on the leveling block for under the tires. I just take a few 2x6” pieces of wood. The lego style blocks work great, but cost money. Always level it with the blocks under the tire, don’t use the stabilizers. If it’s not level, you might have trouble opening the doors, refer not working right etc.

Also, water hose made for drinking water, nothing worse than your water tasting like old rubber hose.

Some kind of outside mat to scrape the shoes before you go in to you new rig. Make sure it lets water run through it.

Plan on 4-6 hours to pick it up. Do a really good job on the inspection before you take it home. Test everything. Anything you miss might take months to get fixed instead of hours.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #19
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrythetech View Post
https://www.loveyourrv.com/love-your-rv-forum/
Ray addresses all these questions and more. Helped us out a ton when we were starting out.
And he pulls a Cougar!
Ray's good, I'm a channel subscriber. His videos are organized by subject and easy to find. He's great at getting back with product review updates.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:11 AM   #20
CWtheMan

A 30-15 AMP adapter will come in handy if there is only 15 AMPs available. Especially at home when loading-up for a trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	31933

A gray water sewer connector is necessary for CGs that only allow gray water dumping.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Odetah - 1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	31932
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote