Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 07:54 AM   #41
flybouy
Site Team

And semi truck tractors are often supported by and often hual trailers supported by, wait for it, airbags! That doesn’t equate to a light duty pick up truck being able to tow a 40 ton trailer.

Just to clarify ....aftermarket air bags are supplemental accessories and not a part of an air suspension system.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:17 AM   #42
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by army1rob View Post
I am sick of people talking about the yellow door sticker. It is base model tires at the gross weight. The tires that come on these trucks are for the most part base level. I bought ProComp At tires for my truck and they are rated at 3750 lbs a piece. What happened recently is trucks started using higher rated tires and increased their GVRW. It’s not rocket science just basic math. You want to tow a bigger trailer and don’t want to buy a new truck. Get higher rated tires and some sort of towing helper springs, air bags or other. Dodge figured this out years ago and yet people are still chirping about GVRW. Keep towing your 12000 lb 5rs with duallys. Fricking overkill.
While spouting that udder nonsense we all noticed you didn't bother to post what rv your towing or that beast of a truck that Pro Comp tires suddenly made it into!
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-22-2022, 08:24 AM   #43
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
While spouting that udder nonsense we all noticed you didn't bother to post what rv your towing or that beast of a truck that Pro Comp tires suddenly made it into!
Here ya' go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro Comp.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	38879  
Old 03-22-2022, 08:36 AM   #44
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
From the profile.

"RV Model Fuzion 419RV Model Year 2022
Tow Vehicle 2018 Chevrolet 2500 HD with 1 ton springs and Timbrens"

So, a 44', 20,000 lb. gvw trailer strapped to the back of a 3/4 ton truck. Explains a lot.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:52 AM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
From the profile.

"RV Model Fuzion 419RV Model Year 2022
Tow Vehicle 2018 Chevrolet 2500 HD with 1 ton springs and Timbrens"

So, a 44', 20,000 lb. gvw trailer strapped to the back of a 3/4 ton truck. Explains a lot.

Oh, but wait Marshall! You forgot the Pro Comp tires!!
Old 03-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #46
bsmith0404

Always fun to read these threads. I need to start getting my popcorn ready before I sit down.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 03-22-2022, 03:44 PM   #47
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Always fun to read these threads. I need to start getting my popcorn ready before I sit down.
Smith! See your last post has a signature! You da man. I suspect ol army1rob has had enough chain yankin' so let's move on. army1rob may also use helium in his Pro Comp tires to lighten them and thus give his truck more payload. He is kinda brave, now that I consider as towing that beast camper with a truck with two rear wheels... What are Pro Comp tires anyway?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 03-22-2022, 03:50 PM   #48
bsmith0404

Don’t know why it shows a signature now, I didn’t do anything. It must have just not been showing up for some reason. I thought I had set it up years ago.

Pro Comps are just a brand, not sure what makes them special. I put BFG KO2s on mine because of their higher load carrying capacities. I don’t like them as a tire, always had much better performance from Cooper or Michelins, but the load carrying capacity was quite a difference. They feel much more stable due to less sidewall flex even though I was under the load rating of all of them.
Old 03-24-2022, 07:18 PM   #49
army1rob

Funny old guys

I am interested to know how many of you have actually towed 20k behind a truck. I’m going to say not many since most of you criticizing my comments don’t have a truck made within the last 5 years. The platforms have come a long way and although there are now federal mandates for weights,( mostly to tax transportation companies for shipping especially smaller companies that move vehicles from state to state) there is not a lot of differences between a 2500 and 3500 anymore. The big three truck companies design their trucks almost identical. Take my 3/4 ton Chevy. There is no difference in engine, axle, transmission, brakes or design compared to the 3500, only difference is springs. If you noticed in my signature I have a 1 ton spring set up in mine. Just recently did GM (2020) use a different size axle (11.5 to 12 inches) but their trucks prior we’re still rated around 23k towing previously. The only reason all of these helper spring companies add the blurb about not increasing max tow weight is it is not legal for them to claim. The reality is they are all very successful companies because the large majority of people towing large trailers don’t care about federal regulations. You also forgot that with the shortage in trucks more and more people are making due with what they have because they can’t find or afford a vehicle capable of towing their equipment according to the federal government. At least we’re making an educated decision instead of just winging it or listening to a yellow sticker on the door. The reason I mentioned Pro Comp tires is because they are heavy duty 4x4 tires that are rated higher than almost all stock tires that come stock on these trucks. There are other tires like the wrangler Kevlars that are rated higher but they are all heavy duty 4x4 tires you probably wouldn’t know about unless you read outside the box your stuck in. I’ll keep doing me and you keep doing you. The reality is I will probably have more fun.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:27 PM   #50
army1rob

Your saying your truck is more capable? Tow 20k then we’ll talk.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:35 PM   #51
army1rob

Really why? A semi can do it but a small truck can’t? Bullkoki. If we stuck to that reasoning we would still be pulling 30 ft 12k trailers with 1/2 ton trucks. Oh wait we did that for 20+ years.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:41 PM   #52
bsmith0404

Army1rob. I agree with much of what you’re saying. I’ve switched the springs on my Duramax to the 3500 springs as well, basically making it a 3500 since everything else is the same. As i mentioned previously, i also upgraded my tires to a higher load rated tire. So we’re on the same page, but you’re not going to win over anyone or make any friends by coming at them ready to wage war.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 03-25-2022, 12:57 AM   #53
flybouy
Site Team

Army1rob, It would be a lot easier to follow and understand your posts if you quoted the posts that you are evidently addressing. Not quoting, as I have here, one can understand a "general comment or statement". Just replying to several posts in a string of posts can be confusing and and appear scattered.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:38 AM   #54
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Army1rob, It would be a lot easier to follow and understand your posts if you quoted the posts that you are evidently addressing. Not quoting, as I have here, one can understand a "general comment or statement". Just replying to several posts in a string of posts can be confusing and and appear scattered.
Perhaps using paragraphs rather than the long run-on diatribe would make reading easier? This is in addition to the series of posts obviously aimed at specific posters but can't be determined as there are no quotes as noted.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 03-25-2022, 08:06 AM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by army1rob View Post
Really why? A semi can do it but a small truck can’t? Bullkoki. If we stuck to that reasoning we would still be pulling 30 ft 12k trailers with 1/2 ton trucks. Oh wait we did that for 20+ years.

army1rob; you joined the forum 4 days ago and have made 4 posts. All have been antagonistic, argumentative and misinformation; all pertaining to the same subject - a 3/4 ton is really a 1 ton with if you add some springs. This forum is to help folks in their quest to have fun, safe fun, in the use and towing of their RVs...your comments do not advance that goal.

Your comments are more fitting for the "fan boy" forums of hopped up/modified GM/Ford/Ram et al trucks where all the youngsters stand around pounding their chest about their "beast" truck that can outpull, run, tow etc. anything out there because they added some blue LED headlights and a loud exhaust (or an overload spring...or ProComp tires).

This forum has lots of new, young families just entering the RV/towing experience that are looking for factual, SAFE guidance as they try to walk through what can be a very confusing experience - your comments only serve the latter purpose and aren't useful.

I think it might be helpful for all if you shared your "experiences" in all this heavy towing with your ProComp tires and overload springs. Maybe the sticker from your truck that shows it's a 1 ton by a certified vehicle modifier? You sound very much like many "pro" drivers that got a CDL then became a hot shot driver with an overweight diesel 3/4 ton tugging a 20k load at 80mph, whizzing through traffic thinking how "accomplished" they are and how "smart" they are. Our "old guy" membership has thousands of years of experience (guesstimate) in real life towing and doing it safely compared to your ???

Keep the goal and the audience in mind. The promotion of fun, and ability to do it safely, is a top priority. So far you've not provided any useful information that I have seen, maybe you can actually provide some helpful tips from your experiences that don't pertain to exaggerated towing abilities if you have any.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:18 AM   #56
travelin texans

Quote:
Army1rob. I agree with much of what you’re saying. I’ve switched the springs on my Duramax to the 3500 springs as well, basically making it a 3500 since everything else is the same. As i mentioned previously, i also upgraded my tires to a higher load rated tire. So we’re on the same page, but you’re not going to win over anyone or make any friends by coming at them ready to wage war.
All anyone here is trying to do is warn those new to rving that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
All will agree you can pull any rv you chose with your 250/2500s, but NO MATTER how many springs, tires, airbags or magical bump stops you put on that 250/2500 truck it's legally a 250/2500 truck. The badging still says 250/2500 along with all the axle weights, gross weights & yes even that "useless" yellow tag ALL have 250/2500 weights listed. If, God forbid, you're in an accident those are the numbers the LEOs, insurance agents & lawyers are going to reference, they don't/won't ask about or give a s##t about all the stuff you've added to that 250/2500 in your attempt to make it a 350/3500.
The best advice to any/all newcomers to rving is get the appropriate equipment to do the task.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-25-2022, 08:56 AM   #57
bsmith0404

Quote:
All anyone here is trying to do is warn those new to rving that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
All will agree you can pull any rv you chose with your 250/2500s, but NO MATTER how many springs, tires, airbags or magical bump stops you put on that 250/2500 truck it's legally a 250/2500 truck. The badging still says 250/2500 along with all the axle weights, gross weights & yes even that "useless" yellow tag ALL have 250/2500 weights listed. If, God forbid, you're in an accident those are the numbers the LEOs, insurance agents & lawyers are going to reference, they don't/won't ask about or give a s##t about all the stuff you've added to that 250/2500 in your attempt to make it a 350/3500.
The best advice to any/all newcomers to rving is get the appropriate equipment to do the task.
Yeah I know all about the magic yellow sticker, but you cannot argue the fact that my truck is exactly the same and just as safe as one wearing a 3500 badge on the door. If the goal that so many talk about on here is to tow safely, that has been achieved.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:15 AM   #58
JRTJH
Site Team

Hey guys,

I just installed ST225 75R15 LRC tires on my Cougar. They're the same as the ST225 75R15 LRE tires that were on it, and the load capacity molded in the tire really doesn't matter, because if you just air them up to 80PSI, they'll carry the same weight as the LRE's... So, I did it and I towed the trailer and I can't see any difference in sidewall bulge, there's no difference in how it feels when towing so, we can all "just swap to lighter tires and know that since I did it, and my tires didn't "go boom" then that means that no matter who you are, what you tow, what state your trailer is registered in, what insurance company you use, just know that you're going to be "safe and insulated from any legal action, regardless of the outcome of any accident investigation that might occur. Just tell the judge and the attorneys that you got it from an internet forum that tire load range doesn't matter because they're all built the same (round and made of rubber) and that any jury's verdict has to follow the "internet rules" because you read it there.....

Oh yes, I almost forgot: If you cover your front license plate with "pixie dust" you can speed all you want because laser and radar beams don't bounce off the "pixie dust" so all those "speed traps" can't even see your vehicle.....

If either of the above sounds preposterous to you, that's how I feel when I read someone's post saying, "Just ignore that yellow sticker, it don't mean anything anyway. It's just a bad joke the government is playing on all you fools".....

Hmmmmm

Now, to return to "sanity" for a moment, it's always been the policy of this forum to recommend safe, LEGAL and responsible RVing. Following federal guidelines, vehicle and RV manufacturer's owner's manual guidelines and recommendations has ALWAYS been the forum mantra. We're not about to change the recommendations to follow ALL recommendations for safe towing and safe vehicle loading based on a post, a thread or a member's experiences when they are not supported by the manufacturer.

If there is anyone who really feels that the manufacturers or the government is "that wrong with the recommendations and requirements" then how about working toward getting Ford, GM or RAM to change their guidance and/or get the government to change the requirement for yellow stickers and GVWR/FAWR/RAWR certification so they read, "recommenations" rather than "ratings". This forum is not a place to "organize a resistance campaign" against responsible, safe towing while following the guidance found in the manufacturer's literature, nor is it a place to lead new owners down some "yellow sticker's don't matter" viewpoint.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-25-2022, 09:19 AM   #59
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Hey guys,

I just installed ST225 75R15 LRC tires on my Cougar. They're the same as the ST225 75R15 LRE tires that were on it, and the load capacity molded in the tire really doesn't matter, because if you just air them up to 80PSI, they'll carry the same weight as the LRE's... So, I did it and I towed the trailer and I can't see any difference in sidewall bulge, there's no difference in how it feels when towing so, we can all "just swap to lighter tires and know that since I did it, and my tires didn't "go boom" then that means that no matter who you are, what you tow, what state your trailer is registered in, what insurance company you use, just know that you're going to be "safe and insulated from any legal action, regardless of the outcome of any accident investigation that might occur. Just tell the judge and the attorneys that you got it from an internet forum that tire load range doesn't matter because they're all built the same (round and made of rubber) and that any jury's verdict has to follow the "internet rules" because you read it there.....

Oh yes, I almost forgot: If you cover your front license plate with "pixie dust" you can speed all you want because laser and radar beams don't bounce off the "pixie dust" so all those "speed traps" can't even see your vehicle.....

If either of the above sounds preposterous to you, that's how I feel when I read someone's post saying, "Just ignore that yellow sticker, it don't mean anything anyway. It's just a bad joke the government is playing on all you fools".....

Hmmmmm
I’d say that’s a bit extreme and apples to oranges comparison. Putting less capable equipment on a trailer and saying it’s just as good is a far stretch from upgrading to heavier OE equipment. I guess we all need to go spend thousands to get the same result.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #60
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I’d say that’s a bit extreme and apples to oranges comparison. Putting less capable equipment on a trailer and saying it’s just as good is a far stretch from upgrading to heavier OE equipment. I guess we all need to go spend thousands to get the same result.
Can you prove that it's "less capable equipment" ????

We all say, "It's the air that supports the load in a tire"... So if you put 80PSI in the LRC tires, can you give me any documentation to prove that it's not really a LRE tire or that it won't support the load ?

What's the difference in "ignoring the load rating on a tire" or "ignoring the load rating on a truck" ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Closed Thread

Tags
bed