Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
B3Dcampers

Rear Kitchen

We have always shied away from rear kitchens, but we are looking at an Alpine 3321MK, and the Avalanche 332MK which have rear kitchens. Those of you that have a rear kitchen, do you find that during transportation, have your dishes, kitchen items, pantry items, etc get banged around? We have always had the kitchen in the middle.
2022 F-350, 4x4 dually
Jacksonville, TX
B3Dcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
rhagfo

Well in eight years of our RK 32’ 5er, only had one real issue. When we had had it for about a year, I had just put a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks on the TV. We were on the Oregon Coast just south of Seaside on Hwy 101, the area had flooded the week before over the highway. Well in a spot where the road was rough before there was a buckle like a parking lot speed bump! We hit that at 45 mph big bump in the truck, 5er like the wheels almost left the ground! Well beer and soda on door shelf’s broke the plastic shelves.
I added shocks to the 5er after that. Now fast forward to this last Tuesday hit a bad bridge transition on I84 near Bonneville Dam doing 65 mph, nothing out of place!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #3
Canonman

Nope! All good even when driving on the more twisting mountain roads. Lots more counter space in the RK's for us.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:14 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Our Cougar 27RKS is a rear kitchen model. The microwave and pantry are along the rear wall as is the majority of the upper dish/kitchenware storage. We had a problem with the microwave tray, so started using the microwave as a "bread storage area" during towing. The weight stopped the turntable from bouncing. Some people use a pillow or a foam block. For us, the bread works.

The pantry has 2 very deep and tall shelves, so DW has always used small plastic "laundry basket shaped" baskets (from Dollar Tree) to store "categories of canned goods" so they are easier to find and pull out of those "hard to reach shelves"... The baskets keep everything in place, but I don't know if it would bounce around without them. My guess is the baskets help.

We also use melamine dishes and plastic glassware, so they stack and stay in place (by design) and we don't have any problems with movement.

In over 40K miles of towing this trailer, nothing has broken around the rear kitchen area, although we do occasionally find things "rearranged" after a particularly bouncy tow.

We haven't had any especially negative issues with the rear kitchen configuration, although you do have to "track mud/sand through the trailer living space to get another "adult beverage".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:57 AM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Nope! All good even when driving on the more twisting mountain roads. Lots more counter space in the RK's for us.
This lots more open counter space! We have a 32' 5er, and we have 8.5' of counter space NOT counting range or sink area.

This is a picture from eight years ago when we bought it.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:57 AM   #6
ewbldavis

might be mindful when opening fridge, or get friction bars to help. We learned that with first trip with outdoor kitchen - I need a strap for the beer fridge

We LOVED the rear kitchen models. We almost bought the Cougar 29MBS instead, but we really wanted outside kitchen and DW liked the bigger bunkhouse.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:10 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

We travel rough roads in Texas at times and never had a dish break or any problem of any sort with out rear kitchen Cougar. We have tons of storage space, a great pantry with drawers on slides and tons of counter space. My missus is particularly fond of counter space. Only problem I have is when at a campground, snacks from the pantry and fridge seem to gravitate to my recliner far too easily....
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewbldavis View Post
might be mindful when opening fridge, or get friction bars to help. We learned that with first trip with outdoor kitchen - I need a strap for the beer fridge

We LOVED the rear kitchen models. We almost bought the Cougar 29MBS instead, but we really wanted outside kitchen and DW liked the bigger bunkhouse.
Out outdoor kitchen has the fridge at the very rear of the trailer. First time going over some rough roads and cans went everywhere when we opened kitchen hatch.

This simple door lock pin solved then issue. https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-2.../dp/B0031P0Q5A
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #9
Jacko

We have a 2019 333MK rear kitchen and no problems from S Florida to W. Texas. All secure and we lover the rear kitchen. When you walk into the 5th wheel, you see the living room and not walk into the kitchen.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

1 out of 3 trips down a steep hillside to a hunting camp, the freezer door opened and all contents were found on the floor. I doubt you will ever be on a logging road with that steep of grade. As John mentioned we have had the micro glass plate found up against it's door. We solved that by placing a towel under the turntable glass and not a issue since. I like the bread idea he listed.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote