Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just curious. Did the Amazon shipping service deliver or did it come Fedex or UPS, etc??? I have not been overly impressed with Amazon delivery as I think they go to the bus stop and ask if anyone has a vehicle and would like a day's work...
I had a recent issue with FedEx. Since the Covid invasion all the delivery companies are overburdened and service has dropped.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #22
Bill-2020

Quote:
Just curious. Did the Amazon shipping service deliver or did it come Fedex or UPS, etc??? I have not been overly impressed with Amazon delivery as I think they go to the bus stop and ask if anyone has a vehicle and would like a day's work...
FedEx sir. I had it shipped to my office so that DW didn't worry about an 80 pound box sitting on the doorstep while the rain clouds rolled in. Come to think of it, Amazon has never delivered any of the heavier items I've ordered. Always UPS or Fedex. (Watched Amazon truck one day, with the driver door open, backup toward a driveway and rip off the neighbors mailbox. He picked it up out of the grass and carried it to their front door like it was a family dog he had just hit.)
Old 07-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Amazon Prime "2 day delivery" has changed (in this area) to "Your Prime Delivery Day".... Amazon now ships for delivery on your "next Prime Delivery Day, with a minimum of 7 days wait"... Depending on when you place an order, delivery may take up to 13 days... The Pony Express was faster...

The first time it "happened to me" I ordered a couple items on a Monday, expected them on Wednesday.... Well, I kept checking and checking and rechecking... Finally they shipped the following Tuesday and were delivered on Thursday (the day Amazon chose for my "Amazon Prime Delivery Day"... Now, no matter what I order, it's delivered the following week, on, you guessed it, Thursday.....

We order Community Coffee in 10 pound blocks (one of our only holdovers from living in Louisiana). They shipped the morning after the order was placed and delivered by FedEx on Saturday morning... Yes, SATURDAY delivery...

So much for fast shipping and immediate service for Prime Members... I will say, though, Shipping is still "free for Prime".

I still can't wrap my head around Amazon 2 hour delivery... I suppose that now, it's place your order and it's delivered: 2 hours and 13 days later .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #24
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Amazon Prime "2 day delivery" has changed (in this area) to "Your Prime Delivery Day".... Amazon now ships for delivery on your "next Prime Delivery Day, with a minimum of 7 days wait"... Depending on when you place an order, delivery may take up to 13 days... The Pony Express was faster...

The first time it "happened to me" I ordered a couple items on a Monday, expected them on Wednesday.... Well, I kept checking and checking and rechecking... Finally they shipped the following Tuesday and were delivered on Thursday (the day Amazon chose for my "Amazon Prime Delivery Day"... Now, no matter what I order, it's delivered the following week, on, you guessed it, Thursday.....

We order Community Coffee in 10 pound blocks (one of our only holdovers from living in Louisiana). They shipped the morning after the order was placed and delivered by FedEx on Saturday morning... Yes, SATURDAY delivery...

So much for fast shipping and immediate service for Prime Members... I will say, though, Shipping is still "free for Prime".

I still can't wrap my head around Amazon 2 hour delivery... I suppose that now, it's place your order and it's delivered: 2 hours and 13 days later .....
John - in my previous life I was sioux chef in a cajun joint for a few years in Albuquerque. Loved every minute of it. The owner was from New Orleans and loved his cajun cuisine. The line was an open kitchen for all in the dining room to see, and we made sure to give them a show. Community Coffee was all we served and I loved it. It was a tradition of mine when making the large stock pots of creole or gumbo, I'd always have a few cups while I stood over the jet burners and stock pots. Your post brought back some good memories. Too bad you can't make any decent money cooking on the line or I'd still be doing it (that was over 30 years ago...).
Old 07-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Memories, Oh sweet memories !!!!

I have two jet burners (for frying turkeys and making big pots of red beans and/or gumbo) and a "oversized cast iron burner for frying fish and hush puppies.... We use them regularly and all the neighbors consistently ask when the next "turkey day" is going to be... I usually fry 5 or 6 at a time, hang them from the clothes line to drip all the peanut oil and to cool a bit before carving them and serving with dirty rice, potato salad and thick slices of french bread....

There's always a pot of Community between roast in the kitchen, from the time we get up in the morning until after supper, when we perk the last pot... Usually 3 or 4 pots a day... No we don't drink it all, but after about 3 hours, it's time to make a fresh pot anyway.....

There's a "cajun place" about 40 miles from here. The chef claims to have worked in New Orleans, but the last 2 times we've gone for supper, the "classic New Orleans flavor" has been missing... Seems it's more about "add more Tabasco" rather than "meld the holy trinity until the flavor is just right".... Even after 30 years, you should still remember the "fuss to make sure the combination of celery, bell pepper and onion was "perfect, just like mamma used to make".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:52 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I have two jet burners (for frying turkeys and making big pots of red beans and/or gumbo) and a "oversized cast iron burner for frying fish and hush puppies.... We use them regularly and all the neighbors consistently ask when the next "turkey day" is going to be... I usually fry 5 or 6 at a time, hang them from the clothes line to drip all the peanut oil and to cool a bit before carving them and serving with dirty rice, potato salad and thick slices of french bread....

There's always a pot of Community between roast in the kitchen, from the time we get up in the morning until after supper, when we perk the last pot... Usually 3 or 4 pots a day... No we don't drink it all, but after about 3 hours, it's time to make a fresh pot anyway.....

There's a "cajun place" about 40 miles from here. The chef claims to have worked in New Orleans, but the last 2 times we've gone for supper, the "classic New Orleans flavor" has been missing... Seems it's more about "add more Tabasco" rather than "meld the holy trinity until the flavor is just right".... Even after 30 years, you should still remember the "fuss to make sure the combination of celery, bell pepper and onion was "perfect, just like mamma used to make".....

Amazon Prime? I've had it for years and it was great. Now, it's junk...and depending on what you order, a ripoff. When the supposed "pandemic" broke out I ordered masks and gloves -3 orders; not one arrived after months. They all showed shipped the day after the order was placed and never moved...ever. Took up to 4 months for them to acknowledge that the continued, delayed arrival times were bogus. Didn't matter because AE took care of it far earlier. I've found due to their unwillingness to actually honor their promises that I can get things in just about the same time..with free shipping if I shop. Amazon TV? Pure junk.

Speaking of "cajun places", had a place in our local "big city" that touted being true Louisiana cajun. Went there quite a few times and they actually turned out some good, complicated dishes. Then they sold out and there were new "cajun" owner/cooks. Figured I would give it a go, went it and ordered crawfish...so bad. Take crawfish, don't purge them, boil them in plain water, throw them on a platter and....and...put 1/4" of sprinkled on "cajun" seasoning on the bugs and now have "real cajun"??? Never been back in 20 years +. We have to go to LA now.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:31 PM   #27
Bill-2020

Quote:
Seems it's more about "add more Tabasco" rather than "meld the holy trinity until the flavor is just right".... Even after 30 years, you should still remember the "fuss to make sure the combination of celery, bell pepper and onion was "perfect, just like mamma used to make".....
Oh, yes, I do remember the fuss. The owner/chef was Eddie Adams. You had to listen carefully to understand him. Didn't take me long to figure out his vocabulary. I worked my butt off, he fed me well every lunch and dinner. Po' Boys, gumbo, red beans & rice, blackened this or that, what ever I wanted as long as I cooked it for myself. He called me daddy-rabbit. And good raw oysters to him would make "yo eyes bug aught!"

Danny- the owner would take a live crawdad, biggest one he could find in that week's shipment (flown in), tuck it in his chef coat pocket and go out to the dining room and mingle... He'd find the prettiest gal at a table and lean over to ask her how her meal was and that mudbug would fall out on the table and scatter about. Made the lady jump and the men fall over laughing! Too bad he was a poor business man, place went belly up few years after and I changed careers. He still had a line of spices that we would blend up for the kitchen. He used to sell them at the local Costco. That's all gone too. Takes me way back.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:32 AM   #28
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
When I bought mine, from ppl, I installed it myself, filled out the warranty card and Dometic sent me something to purchase another 2 years of coverage for $25.

I paid it, figured it was cheap insurance.

-Brian
LOL......I did the same thing...installed it myself, filled out the card, bought the extended warranty. The only issue I had was that I did all that in the late summer/early fall and hardly used the unit (maybe a couple of times), then traded in the trailer for a new one in March the next year. Obviously I didn'm get my money's worth....but hey....live and learn.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:01 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

I know this is off topic but here in the DelMarVa (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia Chesapeake Bay area) it's blue crabs and silver queen corn. Our "large pot" holds a bushel of crabs and a dozen ears of corn on top. Some Maryland beefsteak tomatoes and cucumber salad (for those desiring more veggies), pitchers of ice cold beer and you have several hours of good times.

Living in this region and traveling extensively when I was working the one thing I learned about local cuisine is that it's local. I would typically be asked to accompany a group for lunch or dinner and would hear "you'll love this place, they have MD crab cakes!". I'd ask if they had "local" fare as I know a couple of dozen places to get "authentic" crab cakes and they are in MD. If I'm away from home I like to find the "local haunts" and try out something new to me.

It's like "Chinese" food in the US, it's Americanized Chinese food not "authentic".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:36 AM   #30
pstltaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Looking at possibly needing to buy a new A/C. Old one is a Brisk II 13.5K, non-ducted, w/ceiling controls. I'll consider adding a thermostat to a new one if it's an option on it, but it's not a must have.

I'm curious as to what brand/model you purchased in the last couple of years and where did you buy it from? Local RV dealer? Online? I'll self install so these services won't be needed.
I added a second a/c until to my tt for the bedroom three months ago. I purchased a Coleman 13,500 ceiling controls. 850.00 installed from campers world. It's an awesome unit. You could hang meat in the room it gets so cold on high. Good luck whatever you decide.
pstltaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:38 AM   #31
pstltaz

I added a second a/c until to my tt for the bedroom two months ago. I purchased a Coleman 13,500 Btu with ceiling controls. 850.00 installed from campers world. It's an awesome unit. You could hang meat in the room it gets so cold on high. Good luck whatever you decide.
pstltaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:38 AM   #32
pdaniel

Needed one urgently a week and a half ago. Coleman Mach, 15,000 BTU. Bought at a local RV parts and repair shop.
I’v been told ACs are in short supply.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #33
Libbett

Need a quieter AC!

Any recommendation on a quieter AC? We have a Dometic Duo Therm (I think it's a Brisk 2) with a thermostat that will make you deaf. I don't need to be yelling at DH just in normal conversation. Any ideas or comments on anything that is "whisper quiet"? Is there such a thing? I asked a technician if any state decibels like generators do and he said no. We have started searching and were told too that AC's are backordered.
Libbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #34
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbett View Post
Any recommendation on a quieter AC? We have a Dometic Duo Therm (I think it's a Brisk 2) with a thermostat that will make you deaf. I don't need to be yelling at DH just in normal conversation. Any ideas or comments on anything that is "whisper quiet"? Is there such a thing? I asked a technician if any state decibels like generators do and he said no. We have started searching and were told too that AC's are backordered.

Two types of A/Cs. Ducted and non ducted. Non ducted sound similar to a jet airplane taking off in your cabin. Ducted are slightly more quiet if the "quick cool" feature is turned off; that is the outlet vent on the unit in the cabin in shut and all air is going to air ducts. It will then sound like a slightly smaller jet engine taking off. Conversation is difficult either way. To hear the television, buy a sound bar. Reviews say the Atwood ducted 16K A/C is the most quiet but most reviews are tainted by commercial influence.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #35
Bill-2020

Coleman makes a new Mach 10 or 15 "NDQ" they call it. Non-Ducted Quiet. I thought about it but that means I also have to change the ceiling unit. It is apparently quieter, but from the video reviews it's not what Libbet is hoping for. I stuck with the Dometic and just replaced the roof unit. We use a portable A/C at night that sits in the back near the bunks. It's very quiet and keeps the trailer cool in the evenings but it is not a replacement for a roof unit. There's a lot of modifying to get one to work in a TT or other camper given the required ducting to install (hot air exhaust).
Old 08-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #36
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Coleman makes a new Mach 10 or 15 "NDQ" they call it. Non-Ducted Quiet. I thought about it but that means I also have to change the ceiling unit. It is apparently quieter, but from the video reviews it's not what Libbet is hoping for. I stuck with the Dometic and just replaced the roof unit. We use a portable A/C at night that sits in the back near the bunks. It's very quiet and keeps the trailer cool in the evenings but it is not a replacement for a roof unit. There's a lot of modifying to get one to work in a TT or other camper given the required ducting to install (hot air exhaust).

Bill, We also use an 8K btu portable; It sits next to the door on ouir trailer and under a window. Cut and painted a piece of plywood to fit into the window openening (only opened about 6") and use foam to insulate. The exhaust connects to it. The unit is close to the stairs leading to the bedroom and have a fan on a stand pointed up the steps and use these to cool the bedroom area at night and during the day run the portable and 15K roof mounted Brisk II and it keeps things comfy in 100F+ Texas day heat. I have a 13.5K older Dometic Brisk that I thought about mounting in the bedroom and running power down the wall and under the trailer to connect to a campground 15A outlet but have never gotten to it. Our skylight sits where the roof tapers forward and not sure how an A/C would sit up there although I saw a similar Cougar with this mod and it seemed OK. I run the portable using an hd extension cord out to the power pedestal.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #37
Bill-2020

Quote:
Bill, We also use an 8K btu portable; It sits next to the door on ouir trailer and under a window. Cut and painted a piece of plywood to fit into the window openening (only opened about 6") and use foam to insulate. The exhaust connects to it. The unit is close to the stairs leading to the bedroom and have a fan on a stand pointed up the steps and use these to cool the bedroom area at night and during the day run the portable and 15K roof mounted Brisk II and it keeps things comfy in 100F+ Texas day heat. I have a 13.5K older Dometic Brisk that I thought about mounting in the bedroom and running power down the wall and under the trailer to connect to a campground 15A outlet but have never gotten to it. Our skylight sits where the roof tapers forward and not sure how an A/C would sit up there although I saw a similar Cougar with this mod and it seemed OK. I run the portable using an hd extension cord out to the power pedestal.
We have a 8K unit, very small and tucks away. I ducted the exhaust down the rear "hallway" of sorts next to the lower bunk, then through the luan wall and under that bunk where the water heater is, and out the floor (trap door), there was no window to use as you did, that's a better way. I extended the water heater's 120V 15 amp circuit and installed an additional outlet right where the A/C sits in front of the bunk. I unplug the WH and use LP instead so that the circuit isn't overloaded. In the winter time when we camp the small a/c isn't needed and I switch the WH back to 120V and plug it back in to its own outlet under the bunk. The portable A/C blows cold air from the rear of the trailer right up through the kitchen and over the bed. Perfect temp and low noise. DW loves it.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #38
Bill-2020

Picture added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2916.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	28992  
Old 08-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #39
Badbart56

I added two 15000 watt Coleman Mach III's about three years ago to cool off the bedroom and the garage. The 13500 unit that came with it works fine but it gets hot and humid in north Florida. PPL was who I called, wasn't really looking for a deal but they told me they had two scratch and dent units that they let me have for $280 and $340. I asked if the warranty was the same and they said it was. I got them shipped and took them out of the box, on one the white plastic cover had a slight warp to it, the other one, I couldn't find anything wrong with it. The guy that did my lifetime roof installed them for $200 so that worked out pretty good. Never any issues with them.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote