Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
Bob&Jan

Solar power for Montana High Country 331RL

My RV has a solar plug in the water/cable/Satellite compartment. What additional equipment do I need other than the solar panels. Also, what adjustments to the wiring do I need to power TV, Microwave, and AC outlets?
Are any of these appliances already connected other than the residential refrigerator? I think the existing inverter is dedicated to the refrigerator.
Bob&Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your solar plug is for a "suitcase" style solar panel, it will charge your battery(s) but it WONT run any of your 110 appliances. Make sure the plug is connected to the battery by using a volt meter at the plug, that way you will know if it is hooked up and the polarity.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
Bob&Jan

I am still searching for answers on the solar vs generator question. Does the inverter provide power to any 120 outlets other than refrigerator? It may only be one or two.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Solar Power is a "moving target" in the RV industry and as it evolves, what's built in, offered as an optional package and included in different years and even different models within a production year can change dramatically.

Early on, the "solar package" was just a plug and wires from the side of the trailer to an empty space in the front storage compartment. That evolved to a connector port on the roof with wiring to a similar space in the front compartment. That evolved to a "pre-wired solar system" that included everything but the panels and controller...

That has now evolved to a couple of systems. One is a complete solar package with a "smaller inverter" (around 2000 watts peak) connected to three outlets, one in the bedroom, one in the kitchen and one behind the TV.

Another "luxury solar system" is available in "late model Montana RV's" which includes multiple lithium batteries, solar panels, controller and wiring to multiple outlets in the trailer. It includes a transfer switch that changes power sources depending on shore power availability.

THEN there is the "residential refrigerator, inverter and "dedicated battery system"... That "usually" (not always) is a separate and distinct electrical system that is NOT associated with the solar packages in any way. That said, some dealerships are adding a solar panel to the roof, using the above "solar packages" to connect that system to the residential refrigerator battery pack, more to prolong battery charge rather than to increase outlet availability. Most residential refrigerator inverters are a "single purpose inverter" and do not provide power anywhere except to the refrigerator outlet.

Where, in the evolutionary progress, your RV was built ???? You'll need to do some investigating and exploring to see what's working in which condition in YOUR trailer. Someone with a year newer or a year older "same model" will likely have an entirely different "solar system as OEM"... Heck, even "same year models can be significantly differen".....

I'd use any information obtained as a "yours might be like mine" rather than a "This is how yours is built"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&Jan View Post
I am still searching for answers on the solar vs generator question. Does the inverter provide power to any 120 outlets other than refrigerator? It may only be one or two.
Easy check is to use a simple plug checker and then unplug, turn on the inverter and start sticking it in outlets. Thats what we do when a new coach comes with inverter..We just try everything. your plug checker MAY show open ground on inverter power.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
Bob&Jan

At least now I have direction to go in the search. Small Generator 2500 watt, 3000 watt inverter 2 or s solar panels and whatever wiring changes to run almost everything from the inverter. Thanks to all of the contributors to my thread.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:46 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&Jan View Post
At least now I have direction to go in the search. Small Generator 2500 watt, 3000 watt inverter 2 or s solar panels and whatever wiring changes to run almost everything from the inverter. Thanks to all of the contributors to my thread.
I think you may need a few more considerations than you have listed. Why such a large inverter? What are planning on operating with it and how much capacity in energy storage (battery Amp hours) do you have or are you considering?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:14 AM   #8
CedarCreekWoody

My camper came "pre-wired for solar". That consists of a plug and a wire to the battery, nothing else. I suspect yours is the same, meaning you need virtually everything.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #9
Bob&Jan

My biggest concern is residential refrigertor. I don't want to rely on a generator to supply the power, really don't want to use one unless it it the only source of power, to many cloudy day or anything that my block solar panels. Would like to be able use most the appluiances in the 5th wheel but not the A/C.

I may overkill on the inverter and not enough panels or batteries. Still searching for more exact information.

Thanks and I am open to any advice I can get. I do need get enough knowledge to able to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I would look into a bank of 4 6V batteries and at least 400W of solar. The newer solar panels will still produce on cloudy days, just not the max. Add up the power consumption of each appliance you want to use to determine the inverter size if you ever plan on running everything at once (NO A/C). I’m thinking 3000W inverter may be a bit overkill.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #11
Bob&Jan

Smile

Thanks for the advice. We are full time for the last 11 months and I also work from the rv with laptops printers and high speed internet when I can get it. This conversion is a lot more complicated than I thought. Still gathering data.
I don't mind some overkill over always pushing components to the limit.

Certainly not disregarding your input. Another piece to the puzzle. The other half of the team (wife) says I always over think tha problem. I think I make fewer mistakes that way.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #12
P&DZ

For the solar setup you will most likely need a controller correctly sized for the number Of solar panels you intend to use. Be careful of the polarity of the factory installed solar connector. If it is a Zamp connector its polarity may be reversed by design from other standard market connectors.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana, power, solar