Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2020, 07:59 AM   #1
tundrwd

Atwood GC6AA-10E water heater - anode rod?

Had a note to check the anode rod for the first time in my water heater, Atwood model GC6AA-10E. Have never checked it (2 years old), but it seems that the manual states that the aluminum lining in the tank IS the anode?

Which means a failure of the "anode" is a tank replacement? Is that correct? No anode rod in it?

Is there any replacement part that will fit this tank that would include both a drain valve (just have the nylon nut now), along with an anode rod to help make it last longer? Something like https://www.amazon.com/Camco-11533-A...2991592&sr=8-7
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #2
travelin texans

No anode required with an Atwood water heater just drain when not in use, but you will need a spare plastic drain plug or 2.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
tundrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
No anode required with an Atwood water heater just drain when not in use, but you will need a spare plastic drain plug or 2.
Yeah, I always drain after every use, and do have a spare or two of the nylon plug.
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Chuckracer

Plastic plug...thank you! Does this plug that I've been trying not to ruin thread in or just pull out? Mine's doing neither so far but I'm not done yet.
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Plastic plug...thank you! Does this plug that I've been trying not to ruin thread in or just pull out? Mine's doing neither so far but I'm not done yet.
Lefty loosey Righty tighty....

You may find that you round the corners or even crack the plastic plug. Don't be (IMHO) tempted to replace it with a brass or steel plug. While they may be stronger, they change the "weakest point" from the $2 plastic plug to the $200 water heater tank.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
It’s threaded. Should be 15/16” socket. And welcome to the forum : wlcm:

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
Chuckracer

Thank you both very much!

I'll pick up a couple new ones when I go get my new window, which should be at the dealership this week. It's been an eventful first season for us! I've learned a lot searching this terrific forum - hopefully as time goes by I can give back as well.
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater