Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
dwall

Exhaust fan blade keeps coming off

The exhaust fan blade in my bathroom keeps slipping off the motor shaft. With the cheap plastic blade and the small diameter shaft there’s not much to work with. Thought of putting a little gorilla glue on it but not sure if it would work. Any suggestions or should I just replace both?
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would try the glue first. The worst thing that can happen is it fails and you have to replace both.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
dwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would try the glue first. The worst thing that can happen is it fails and you have to replace both.

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking.
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
Customer1

I would throw it away and install a Vortex II fan replacement kit.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:12 PM   #5
FlyingAroundRV

I think it's supposed to have a retaining screw in the middle of the blade to hold it on the shaft. Pretty sure mine does.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The "fart fan" (6" plastic blade) is a push on, friction fit fan blade. The hole in yours may be slightly enlarged causing it to slip off the motor shaft. You can either use some silicone, gorilla glue, super glue or even a couple of strands of copper wire from a cut piece of an old extension cord. Any of them will "tighten up and hold" the blade to the shaft.

You can buy two replacement blades for $10 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Replace...-1-spons&psc=1 or, you can use that $10 as a "down payment" on a better fan.

Personally, I shy away from HENG fans as they make far more noise than either Fantastic or Maxx Air vent fans. Part of the HENG noise is installing the blade and motor "inside" the RV. That is not the situation with the more expensive replacement vents where the motor is "further up inside the vent dome" moving the noise outside the RV by keeping it above the ceiling rather than below the ceiling.

Anyway, if you slip a couple of "SINGLE" strands of copper wire through the hole and push the existing fan blades back in place, they should stay... At least until the replacement fan arrives and you toss that "itty bitty fart fan" in the trash.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:27 AM   #7
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
I would throw it away and install a Vortex II fan replacement kit.
Advantage to this one over some of the others is you can install it all from inside the trailer.

I have an older Vortex (not II) but like it much better than what came with the trailer.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote