Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
JMaster

Lippert 3.0 Leveling System.... with a twist.

Hey everyone! So today I ran into an issue that I had never seen before. I moved my Sprinter Fifthwheel to a new storage location that is level and very nice. However..... When going to auto level my rig I noticed that when the back jacks started their portion of the grounding they went down.... and kept going. Then the system shut off automatically and turned back on. I then had the dreaded jack error message. I then went through the procedure to clear that error and retried to auto level once again. This time the back jacks grounded and then during the front jack check, the nose dived a bit and the system once again shut off and gave me the jack error message. Has anyone else seen the system shut off like this??

I’m wondering if I should try to clear the error again and then do a zero calibration of the system and see if that fixes it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I use to be an RV tech actually but this one has me a bit stumped. Batteries are fully charged and I tried with and without shore power. I also checked all the connections at the 4 point panel and all were good.

Thanks!!!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:16 PM   #2
Fishsizzle

Mine did this today for the first time, just trying to ground the front jacks. I turned it off and tried again, worked second time. Was weird
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

JMaster,

Do you remember what the battery voltage was when the jacks operation failed? The system seems to be "extremely sensitive" to low voltage and will "error out" if the battery isn't fully charged or if other drains on the battery pull the voltage down below about 11.7 (I think) volts.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
JMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
JMaster,

Do you remember what the battery voltage was when the jacks operation failed? The system seems to be "extremely sensitive" to low voltage and will "error out" if the battery isn't fully charged or if other drains on the battery pull the voltage down below about 11.7 (I think) volts.

Hi there,
Glad you asked. I had checked just prior and it was at 12.4v and it only got down to 12.1v under load.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
JMaster,

I spent 2 1/2 hrs. with tech support in Oregon last year trying to diagnose an issue on a brand new unit. He said 11.9VDC even for an instant could/would cause “things to happen” including errors.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaster View Post
Hi there,
Glad you asked. I had checked just prior and it was at 12.4v and it only got down to 12.1v under load.
Did you measure at the batteries? I had another tech holding a VOM on the battery terminals during my long conversation.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

That was my thought as well. Even though the battery started out at 12.4 VDC and ended up at 12.1VDC, if the leveling system started one motor, then while that motor was running, started another motor, the actual voltage to the controller circuit board could have "momentarily" dropped to 11VDC in a "negative spike" that wouldn't have been "measured before turning it on and/or after turning it off".....

The point I'm making is that even though the battery voltage "measures" 12.4 VDC before leveling and voltage "measures" 12.1 VDC after the event ends, that doesn't eliminate the "potential for a drop in voltage DURING the operation.

If that is occurring, there's a good chance that a "weak cell in a battery" or "corrosion on a wire connection" or "high resistance ground from corrosion" could be the problem and it would likely not be identified with "before/after measurements"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
Frank G

Looks like a starting voltage of 12.4 may be a little less than 100%
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Voltage.png
Views:	237
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	22233  
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #9
JMaster

Quote:
That was my thought as well. Even though the battery started out at 12.4 VDC and ended up at 12.1VDC, if the leveling system started one motor, then while that motor was running, started another motor, the actual voltage to the controller circuit board could have "momentarily" dropped to 11VDC in a "negative spike" that wouldn't have been "measured before turning it on and/or after turning it off".....

The point I'm making is that even though the battery voltage "measures" 12.4 VDC before leveling and voltage "measures" 12.1 VDC after the event ends, that doesn't eliminate the "potential for a drop in voltage DURING the operation.

If that is occurring, there's a good chance that a "weak cell in a battery" or "corrosion on a wire connection" or "high resistance ground from corrosion" could be the problem and it would likely not be identified with "before/after measurements"...

All good points! I’m going to go to the coach tomorrow and check at the battery with my meter. They usually hang around 12.8-13.1 when they are on the tender. If the system dropped to much would that cause it to shut down like it did? It acted like a safety shut off when it happened and after a few seconds it rebooted. Very odd. I had JUST camped and hooked up to shore power the weekend prior and it leveled first try perfectly.

Stinking RVs....
Old 06-12-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

When I was on the phone, testing and such we never got a shutdown/reboot. We did encounter “auto level fail” and “Jack error” a number of times. We tried plugged into shore power and battery only. Battery was a “new off the shelf” Interstate gp 27. I don’t remember but I think we even changed batteries. We did pull the control unit out of a “stock” unit and still got the errors when the voltage dropped.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #11
JMaster

Well good news everyone! It was a simple fix however it took me forever to figure it out. The nose of the coach wasn't coming down far enough to get level and so the back jacks were trying to hard to raise the back, thus putting it into a shut down mode. I made a video to go over it all here... thanks!

https://youtu.be/P2X3PQouYco
Old 06-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #12
JJaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaster View Post
Well good news everyone! It was a simple fix however it took me forever to figure it out. The nose of the coach wasn't coming down far enough to get level and so the back jacks were trying to hard to raise the back, thus putting it into a shut down mode. I made a video to go over it all here... thanks!

https://youtu.be/P2X3PQouYco

Your video link does not work.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #13
Salty25

Nope... not working. Says was removed by user.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:53 PM   #14
JMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty25 View Post
Nope... not working. Says was removed by user.

Sorry about that. Moved some videos around on my channel and broke the link. Here ya go!
https://youtu.be/fSBBlWGTlOE
Old 11-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #15
Jim2366

We just got home yesterday with our new Cougar 5th wheeler. We were getting familiar with how to use everything. We felt good until I tried to get ready to get it ready to hook up to the truck and I was unable to get the Lippert jacks to go retract. I got an error code and only one back jack is up. It has a 4 point leveling system. I glad its in my driveway but I need to take it to storage and will need to figure how to use this system.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.
Jim
2019 Cougar 361rlw 5th wheel
Jim2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Lippert 3.0 Leveling System.... with a twist.

Turn it on and using the up or down arrow, scroll to manual mode. If the motor doesn’t move, there Is an override on the bottom of the gearbox. It takes a 5/16” driver and either an electric drill plugged in or a couple of charged batteries for a cordless drill.

There are 2 wiring harness’ at each jack, one is the power and the other is the “Hall effect” sensor. Make sure they are both fully seated.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #17
Jim2366

After going to the Lippert site and I chatted with them and they gave me instructions that worked the first time and now it is reset and working great. I had to put all the jacks up in manual mode. Extend the front two legs with just four holes and extend them to the ground. Next, extend the back jacks. Last hit the retract button and all the jacks went up. This resets it and it now works again.
Jim2366 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling