Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
LifeMadePortable

Furnace Failure ~ Carbon 337

Hubby here (shared account).

We have a '19 Carbon 337 and our furnace is having trouble.

The fan kicks on, we wait to hear the ignition flame up, it doesn't. Instead, the system just shuts down.

We read through the manual + called the dealership (Terrytown RV in Michigan).

Something about a reset switch, which I found ... tediously ... because we have the "small exhaust panel" which means accessing the furnace requires the grease man from Ocean's Eleven.

The reset button has two positions: "off" and "reset". It wasn't off.

We just got this thing and NEED the furnace. I fear we may need to have someone come out and first destroy our home to get the furnace out before replacing a minuscule something, then re-wreck everything hammer-taping it back into place.

Advice is needed. Please.

I'm supremely disappointed that a) this has happened so early in our ownership and b) is so impossibly inaccessible to take steps with.

(already been through "troubleshooting", a bit of a farce).
Old 11-15-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you never hear the “click,click” of the igniter then I’m afraid you have an issue that would require diagnosis from a technician. If your versed in the use of a Volt/ohm meter you could troubleshoot.

There are safety’s built in that won’t allow ignition if conditions aren’t met. There is a “sail switch” that senses enough air flow ( unlikely) and a “limit switch” (possible/probable) that senses the temperature of the plenum.

Testing of both is best done with the furnace removed, and since your under warranty, I would take it to the dealer. In the meantime, if your plugged into shore power use electrical heaters. We use the oil filled as they draw less amps and are more child/pet friendly.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:58 AM   #3
rbrdriver

Did you bleed your propane system first by running your cooking stove for a little bit? A lot of times on a new rig or when you change propane tanks you have to bleed the air out of the system first.
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
HIDE-EE

My 19 Hideout 303RLI had the same problem (on our 3rd trip) dealer found a failed board was not allowing the gas to flow. So the fan would run it would try and light and when it didn’t it would shut down like you described.
HIDE-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
ChuckS

After 3 attempts to ignite furnace will go into lock out mode. To clear turn thermostat off. Then back to furnace

Since fan is coming on for furnace perhaps you’ve just got air in the feed line and need to purge it.

Try relighting several times listening outside at furnace exhaust for a pop pop sound indicating DSI is sparking.

If you hear that and after a few lockout resets it wont ignite then I’d be betting on furnace control module.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
bonneau57

How do you get the out side panel off to get to furnace?
bonneau57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
LifeMadePortable

We've since gotten this fixed. The board was bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonneau57 View Post
How do you get the out side panel off to get to furnace?
... there isn't an exterior panel. I had to remove a number of screws on the inside of the storage bay to release the carpet-covered barrier wall. After that, I had to contort between the aluminum bars and around the water heater to get to the NON-visible side of the furnace unit.

It was a total circus.

WE LOVE OUR 337 ... but the furnace access is 100% pure ******. Keystone downright owes my wife and I a financial apology for this failure in the design.

Tags
furnace