Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #1
AFProdigy

95 F150 to tow Outback 250rs?

Hello, everyone! We purchased an Outback 250rs travel trailer. We have been getting mixed information about whether or not our 1995 F150 V8 4x4 with 8ft bed is adequate to pull the Outback. The RV people said it will be fine. Other people are saying it is not enough. I am trying to use the online calculators, but cannot find all of the specs on both vehicles to make the calculator work. The F150 is in pretty good running condition.

For the moment, we are only towing to a neighboring city with moderate hills.

Does anyone have experience with this scenario?
AFProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You'll need to provide much more information on the truck, trailer load, planned hitch and passenger/cargo expectations. Ford manufactured everything from a "bare bones 6 cylinder, low axle ratio model" to a "adequately equipped, large V-8 with high axle ratio trucks". They are vastly different with significantly different towing capability. Some may tow your trailer easily and some may be outclassed and overweight with a trailer half that size.

Keep in mind that "only towing to the next town" should not be a factor in exceeding capability of the tow vehicle to adequately tow (and more important, to stop) the rig. Imagine expecting to "only tow 25 miles" and as you get up to speed, 2 blocks from your home, a child on a bicycle darts out in front of your rig. Can you stop? Can you avoid the child? It should make no difference how far you plan to tow the rig. You really need to be "in control with adequate capacity" from the first turn of the tires until you park at your destination.

OK, sermon over.....

Provide more information on the capacities, cargo, passengers, any modifications or extra items (shell, tuner, plow, heavy front bumper) that you've added to your truck and you should get some good information on whether it would be a good match for that trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #3
Canonman

The '95 F150 was a heck of a truck in it's day. But, here are a couple of numbers worth considering. The MAX towing towing capacity of your truck was rated at around #7500. The GVWR of the Passport is #7550. You'd be right at the limit of what the F150 was engineered/rated for and that was when it was new.
Subject to the milage on the truck and overall condition.I'd say you'd be pushing it...A LOT. Engine, transmission, brakes all will be stressed to the limits. Plus take into account wear and condition of the shocks, springs and front end steering and suspension components all critical to keeping the rig on the road; I'd say you'd have to be "extremely" confident before deciding to tow with the existing '95.
Tell the truth... you really want a new truck... Pretty sure you're going to get one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0694.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	16100  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Canonman is right. Your truck, the day it rolled off the assembly line, would be maxed out. 23 years later there is NO way I would put that trailer on that truck. Far too many things in the driveline and suspension have deteriorated - and they HAVE deteriorated. To rebuild the tranny, suspension, brakes etc. to bring it to like new again would be wasted money. Now, a new F150 would probably fill the bill nicely....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
AFProdigy

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate it.
AFProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
notanlines

Let me make a couple assumptions....first that if you could afford a new truck you already would have one, and two, that the truck you have is in reasonable condition. Knowledgeable members have already pointed out that you are beyond your truck's capabilities or very close. I would be inclined to keep the RV, sell your present truck and buy a slightly newer 3/4 ton, hopefully in fairly good condition. I realize it is easy for me to spend your money, but I'm trying to come up with a budget you can live with. And welcome to the forum. Let us hear from you.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f150, outback, tow