Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
rebelfan

Installing loading/backup lights???

I have a Fuzion toy hauler and would like to mount a set of backup/cargo lights above the back ramp door. Has anyone tackle this?? I believe mounting them will not be to bad, just really didn't have any idea the easy place to get power and mount the switch.

Any good IDEA?
rebelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
28Bunkhouse

Lightbulb Backup lights

I have been thinking this one over, There is a wire in the seven pin trailer plug for back up lights but it would mean opening up the comnnection and mine is moulded so due to warranty Iam not going to go that. The other thought I had was to go directly to the battery and install a switch at the rear which I would manually turn on.
28Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Shoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Bunkhouse View Post
I have been thinking this one over, There is a wire in the seven pin trailer plug for back up lights but it would mean opening up the comnnection and mine is moulded so due to warranty Iam not going to go that. The other thought I had was to go directly to the battery and install a switch at the rear which I would manually turn on.
Although the trailer plug is molded, the other end usually goes to a box under front corner of the trailer. You can grab the "reverse" wire there. I did this on a previous trailer. For a toy hauler, this may NOT be the way to go. It sounds like the original post wanted to utilize the lights for loading, not just backing up. If you use the reverse pin of the connector, the tow vehicle will need to be in reverse for the lights to have power. Not ideal for loading.
Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
cumminsdad08

you could pull the power for loading lights from one of the marker lights, and if the trailer is un hooked from the truck, you can use the fuse in the trailer plug trick to obtain power to the lights. it would save a bunch of hassle of running wires all the way back to battery, and then you would actually have a good reason to put a fuse in to turn on all your lights, other then it just looking cool.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsdad08 View Post
you could pull the power for loading lights from one of the marker lights, and if the trailer is un hooked from the truck, you can use the fuse in the trailer plug trick to obtain power to the lights. it would save a bunch of hassle of running wires all the way back to battery, and then you would actually have a good reason to put a fuse in to turn on all your lights, other then it just looking cool.
Be careful if you choose to go this route because the wire size and the fuse used for marker lights will probably not be heavy enough to run much in they way of additional lights. At least not ones of much brightness.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
Jeffrey11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelfan View Post
I have a Fuzion toy hauler and would like to mount a set of backup/cargo lights above the back ramp door. Has anyone tackle this?? I believe mounting them will not be to bad, just really didn't have any idea the easy place to get power and mount the switch.

Any good IDEA?
How about this go in your pass through compartment and look up. The remote control unit is there. There are spare channels on it as well as all the 12 volt connections for power. Get a 12 volt relay from the auto parts store for high powered driving lights. Tap off the main 12 volt power with a fuse of appropriate size to the purchased relay. Hook the control side of the relay to the empty channel on the remote control. to trigger it. Run a lead back to the lights and use chassis as ground. Press the remote button and lights on !
Jeffrey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
rebelfan

Thanks for all the inputs, but really like the last idea. My remote is already programmed to turn on my security light over my main door, would be great if I could mount another set of security lights over the top of the back ramp door and wire those lights together. Question is, would that circuit handle both sets? I have seen that wireless receiver box in the ceiling of my front storage. I do have a security over the back door too, probably would be easier to get to those wires.
rebelfan is offline   Reply With Quote