Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
Buckeyexx

Awning doesn't seem right on 239ml

I noticed the last time rolled up my awning that the left side of the awning doesn't seem to go all the way back compared to the right side. (Looking at the entry side) Not sure how to adjust it. I have looked up the solera lippert instructions and came up with nothing. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckeyexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
eoitker

Funny you should bring it up because when I rolled up my awning last time, I thought the very same thing!! I also have a 239 ML and Solara awning. I extended it and retracted it several times with the same result. (Left side doesn't close as far as the right) I did notice as the awning rolled up, a slight wrinkle occurs on the left and as it gets within the last couple of feet. I don't remember it doing that before but I didn't really pay much attention. Hopefully someone will have an answer and it's as easy as we weren't completely level when retracting.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
eoitker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
Buckeyexx

Same here. I noticed the wrinkles too. Maybe it's just how they are and didn't notice it till now. I know it's tight against the camper because I have tried to push it back more but wouldn't budge.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyexx View Post
Same here. I noticed the wrinkles too. Maybe it's just how they are and didn't notice it till now. I know it's tight against the camper because I have tried to push it back more but wouldn't budge.

If that's the case, then I would leave it alone.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #5
slow

A thought: It may have been rolled up in the opposite direction. Easy to do if not paying attention to the labels on the switch.

Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
MattHelm21

Do you have the adjustment which allows you to drop one end of the awning lower than the other for water runoff? This looks like the alignment is off preventing the support rods from seating into one another while closing. I've read warnings that with shorter awnings, the adjustments must match on both ends before rolling it up. Any chance this could be the case here?
Old 07-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

That style should have an arm that is hinged at the center to change the pitch of the fabric. If you pull one or both down you just leave it alone and it will straighten itself back up when you retract the awning. There are some brands that have adjustable arms that use a series of holes/buttons and those do need to be set to the same on each end prior to retracting.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
Buckeyexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
Do you have the adjustment which allows you to drop one end of the awning lower than the other for water runoff? This looks like the alignment is off preventing the support rods from seating into one another while closing. I've read warnings that with shorter awnings, the adjustments must match on both ends before rolling it up. Any chance this could be the case here?

Yes I have the adjustment to drop one end. Per the manual you don't have to readjust the awning It will supposedly realign itself. It has the auto dump feature that will allow rain to dump automatically.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #9
Johnny's Journey

Either the pivot as mentioned already (one set tighter than the other at pivot point) but what about the gas charged lift supports ? Try moving them left to right and right to left to see what affect this will have. If the opposite condition occurs you've found the issue.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #10
bobbecky

Just yesterday, after a family reunion, while folks were packing up, the one fellow had a problem getting the electric awning to align and fully close up. Turned out the fabric had slid in the groove of the roller and was forcing the mechanism to move out of verticle so the parts wouldn't close all the way. We were able to get the fabric to slide just enough to make it work.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:17 AM   #11
Johnny's Journey

Another possible scenario that comes to mind is the drum candy caning ? If your drive motor is to the right as mine is then that's where all the torque would be applied to the drum therefore it possible the drum is developing into a twist (ever so slight) causing an unequal length of the canopy in it's self to develop. How to notice this ? Look at your flap at the end of your awning when fully let out. Now pay close attention to the grove. Is it straight and true or parallel with the outer edges of the drum or does it look like it's angled slightly up on the left and down on the right ?
Old 07-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #12
Buckeyexx

Thanks for all the responses so far. I will bring it out again to double check everything on the alignment and go from there.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:39 AM   #13
Jeepshots

I'm interested in this as well, since mine's doing the same thing.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
Buckeyexx

Well I finally got around to checking things out. I ran the awning all the way out to see if I could see any obvious problems.
I slowly retracted it and stopped about every foot or so as it came back in to see if the alignment would change and as far as I could see it went back in straight. I did notice however that once it stopped against the camper it would bump back out just slightly on the one end. If I help it go in and hold it there for a second it would stay against the camper a little more but still bumped out slightly but not as much. I think I have come to the conclusion that since the motor side goes in more than the non motor side then it has to do with that.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #15
Johnny's Journey

Curious question with a more than obvious answer. Is it Hot where your at ? The heat can aggravate stretching of the awning on the drive end.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #16
Buckeyexx

It has been in the 80's and 90's so maybe that's it. Although the first time I noticed it was early in the morning packing up after a weekend camping so it wasn't hot yet.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:25 PM   #17
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyexx View Post
It has been in the 80's and 90's so maybe that's it. Although the first time I noticed it was early in the morning packing up after a weekend camping so it wasn't hot yet.
Do you tip your awning often to the same side ?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #18
Buckeyexx

Well I have only had it for a couple of months and I bought it new. I've had it out five different times and can only think of twice that I pulled one side down

Old 07-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #19
Johnny's Journey

That's 40% of the time when open. This may be the reason but I can not for certain say this is the reason but it does go with the possibility that stretching is occurring on one edge. I'll keep this in mind as my unit is new (but still closing fine) as well and that there is another member that had the same issue as yourself earlier on this thread.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #20
Buckeyexx

I'll check that out

Tags
awning