Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
mboshea

Reverse Noise?

Hello all, we just purchased our 1st TT... a 2018 Passport 239ml. We tow with our 2015 Dodge Durango and just went on our 1st trip this past weekend. I noticed a very loud "cranking" noise when my husband reverses the trailer... dealer said this is normal, but can't imagine this would be... it sounds as if the axel or brakes are being forced. Is this normal? We don't have any experience giving us peace of mind.

thanks
mboshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #2
outwest

sounds like your sway bar is still engaged. I often forget to do it myself, but sway bars should be loosened or removed before backing up. The idea is that they can be damaged when backing up, especially if backing into a tight bend.

Be sure to tighten before heading down the road.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
mboshea

Outwest, thank you for your reply. The sway bars that my husband installed allow for backing up... and, the noise sounds like it is near the rear of the trailer. Could the sway bars still be the issue?
mboshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
outwest

Popping and cracking sounds from the axle area are also normal when backing up in sharp turns and going over holes, bumps, and humps. It really sounds like normal noises to me.

Re: the sway bar -- I guessed that was the culprit because you will get a lot of that sort of noise when backing up with it still tight. We have a tight turn when pulling out of the driveway (along with a pretty decent bump), so we get a lot of that noise from it when leaving the house, simply because of how they're designed (friction based).

Old 06-13-2017, 10:04 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

It was mentioned sway bars. I think your confusing WD bars, one one each side of of the hitch and tongue. Sway bar is really anti sway bar and only 1. Unless you have a trailer of much greater length then you have.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:07 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

What hitch set up are you using. My equalizer pops and clans but that's normal. It's something that you get used to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #7
Jeepshots

I use a Durango to tow my 24' Bullet with. I'm in agreement, that it's most likely the sway control - loosen and/or take it off before backing up. The weight distribution chains will also do some popping/groaning noises. Check your distribution chain anchors on the trailer tongue - mine weren't installed very tight (thank you, dealer), and moved back and forth on the tongue. If yours has done that, examine the propane carrier tray very carefully. When my anchors moved, it sheared off 3 of the four bolts holding the carrier tray down. just something to look out for...
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

What kind of WDH do you have and what kind of sway control?

Where are you backing in to and what is the terrain/angle like?

It sounds like what you hear is normal but you need to isolate it. If you are backing with the wdh/equalizer hooked up it can make noise. If you are making a sharp cut and/or trying to go uphill your suspension/tires/wheels can really get warped out of shape and make noise. Just do it until you can isolate exactly where/what it is and you will be much better off.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:38 AM   #9
outwest

Just thought I'd point out this post by Jeepshots saying that if you unhook the weight distribution bars before backing, that you'll overload the hitch on your Durango: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...15&postcount=7

There are a variety of weight distribution bars out there, so this might not be exactly what you have, but this is what they look like

Whereas the sway control bar(s) (which should be loosened or removed before backing) is/are like the pic I posted in earlier post