Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2017, 05:33 PM   #21
srvnt

I had a similar problem with our trailer too. We have a big window very similar to this one and I think the weight of the window combined with the cheap cardboard backed luan, it started to bulge along the length of the bottom between the window and the very bottom. No water damage just delaminating and or curling luan and cardboard (actually thinner than cardboard!). I fixed this when I repaired a boo boo on the rear corner since the bottom molding was off. I removed the screws and fixtures off the shore power port and tail lights, pushed in the big bulge (pretty easy to do) then placed screws where they would not be seen under the port and tail light fixtures, into the (paper thin) aluminum frame. Usually the frame is around such fixtures. Luckily it worked great and you cant even tell. As to your problem, If they don't warranty that in good faith I would repair it myself the way I did and cover any holes with gel coat and decal material, or section replace that area. Bottom line its a poor design.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:22 AM   #22
theallde

Craig, Slow, John and others: Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

There is no water damage and I inspect the roof once or twice a year, usually before washing and waxing. The TT has never been under a cover as stated. Also, if the outside temperature gets to 100 or above, I turn on the a/c in the trailer to prevent surprises, etc. from the warm weather - in other words, the trailer is well taken care of and this problem was a total surprise.

I'll post before and after pictures along with the cost so others will have a better understanding if they experience this problem.
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #23
theallde

Craign: I took the TT in on Wednesday, April 19th and they started work on it on Monday, April 24th. The entire rear cap is being replaced. It should be ready on May 1st at a cost of $3700. The cost includes new decals and better construction. I'll post pictures of the new cap after I pick the TT up.

Good luck on your TT rear cap replacement ..... Don
Old 04-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #24
Tbos

Hope it goes well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:24 AM   #25
slow

Rear Cap Slipping

Ouch!

But good to hear that the dealer is willing to undertake the "better construction".

30 years ago I had a very small leak in my TT. It took years to find since the cause was only visible once the rear window was removed. Like your rear window, it had a vertical mullion secured to the bottom window frame with a couple of screws and rubber seals under the screw heads. Both seals had deteriorated and no longer sealed so I had a very slow drip when it rained. Since the rear window will be removed for the reconstruction of your rear wall, it would be worth having that connection checked. Not that it may be an issue now, but it may be preemptive measure to avoid future issues.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:30 PM   #26
theallde

slow: Thanks for your input. The RV shop is replacing the window seals just as a precaution since the window will be off. What an experience and I only hope that others do not have the rear cap issue like Craig and I have had. I wonder if the Keystone technician that attaches the "black and gray water decals" worked the rear caps that day
Old 04-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Don,

Just thinking out loud here, but did you contact your insurance company about the damages? It might be covered, it might not, but at least it's worth asking.... I do know that insurance adjusters have "totaled" some trailers for things like water damage from a damaged awning rail, water damaged roof due to "unseen" leaks and some repairs to floors that were damaged from leaks. Whether your insurance company will or won't consider the claim ??? Who knows....

Might be worth a try ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:51 PM   #28
theallde

John:

Thank you for your suggestion about contacting my insurance company. Contacting my insurance company is an option if my letter, and pictures, to Keystone are unsuccessful. If Keystone denies any compensation, then I'll write to Trailer Life "RV Resolutions" for their assistance and then lastly to insurance company. I need to exhaust all my options before going to my insurance company.

Thanks again .... Don
Old 05-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #29
tottere

I have a Keystone Laredo, 308 RE that is doing this . The rear panel has separated from the roof line. Keystone says they will not help with this since it is out of warranty. I believe this is a mfg defect or workmanship issue. I am not done fighting this. The estimate to replace the rear cap is $4000.00
tottere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #30
theallde

tottere: What year is your Laredo? Did you get a written response from Keystone? Have you had the rear cap repaired?

Check your Private Message ...... Don
Old 05-04-2017, 04:36 AM   #31
Ddubya

Good information JRTJH, I hope you stopped to breath during that.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #32
craign

Great news!

We receive a call from the dealer this morning, telling us that the camper repair is complete and we can bring it home. None too soon, as we plan on leaving early next week for a trip to the eastern shore of Maryland.

The technician applied reinforcing material to the inside of the rear wall to prevent the curling of material that we experienced. I asked for no additional details on the work performed. The affected area looks good as new, and we intend to inspect it regularly to ensure that it stays that way. Fortunately, the work was completed just before heavy rains arrived in the area. I'm glad that the repair didn't involve replacement of the rear cap, as the cost of labor and material came in about $1100, far less than the cap replacement quotes mentioned in this thread.

I asked the dealership owner if he saw something like this before. His response was yes, only once, and a very long time ago. He assigned no blame on material or manufacturer. Still, it may be worth writing to Keystone. Since this wasn't a warranty repair, it seems like there isn't a mechanism in place to make them aware of the issue. If they become aware of a manufacturing defect (based on owner input), they may look for the cause of the problem. Maybe I'm being optimistic.

That's all for this update.

Regards,
Craig
craign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

I am glad to hear it went well. Enjoy your trip!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #34
theallde

Craig:

Glad to hear you got you TT back in time for your trip, bet you were sweating the timing.

By strange timing, I pickup my TT this morning at 8am and as the dealer said, "we gave it a butt lift - all new rear end including new wood, windows seals, decals, etc., they even washed the TT". The rear cap is better than new since they reinforced the cap and used screws instead of staples.

The first class work done within 7 working days at a cost of $3,856. Expensive, yes - but now I know it was done correct.

I will write a letter to Keystone explain the issues.

One last comment, no water damage was found that caused the cap to slip.

Enjoy your trip ..... Don
Old 05-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #35
Tbos

Glad you both were able to get your back walls repaired.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:22 AM   #36
mazboy

i'd be dealing with my insurance along with writing letters to keystone. my suggestion is don't wait for keystone.

good luck.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:24 AM   #37
notanlines

Thanks to both of you for keeping all of us informed on the outcome. Good info!. Also, be a little wary of making a claim on the insurance unless you know for certain that it is covered. State Farm (not my favorite people) failed to cover a broken water pipe under our slab some years ago. (It wasn't covered) but still had us listed as a claim for the event. I can see State Farm in my rear view mirror.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:52 AM   #38
slow

Glad it all worked out and you now have confidence that it was repaired properly. Now you can get on with enjoying your time exploring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #39
tottere

My Laredo us a 2013 that I bought in Feb 2014. I have not yet taken the unit in for repair Hopefully that will happen some tim this week. I tarp the unit with some leather roofing material and duct tape.
tottere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #40
theallde

I sent my letter to Keystone this morning and we'll see what the response is.