Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Cabinet Doors

Uncovered my TT yesterday and went inside and all looked great. My issue is the somehow some of the cabinet doors will not close. The doors appear to have expanded about 1/8th of an inch. and the hasp hits the frame instead of the connection. Since most of the door is made of non wood material and the frame around the door is wood did the cold cause expansion? Understand what I am saying? Anyone else experience this? This unit is still under warrantee.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:15 AM   #2
busterbrown

I'm under the assumption that this is "post-winterization" check on your coach, where it sat idle for a few months? If so, were the cabinet doors closed and aligned prior to its hybernating state? If the doors are made from a different material than the wood cabinet framing, expansion of the wood can be possible if humidity levels increase. 1/8 inch is quite a bit though.

Anothet thought, is the trailer jacked up on its frame or by leveling jacks? Excessive torque on the frame can play "not so nicely" with square door frames and cabinetry work.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:08 AM   #3
Cqyqte

How much snow accumulated on the roof during the winter if any?

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
2017 Keystone Springdale 2660RL
Cqyqte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #4
Tbos

You may try running the AC or a dehumidifier in it for a few days to see if it changes the situation.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:16 PM   #5
CrazyCain

I had the frame around my bathroom mirror come apart at the four corners though seeing how they are put together I see why...... Im thinking the cold weather was the reason. Cabinet doors all around the rig are fine..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Most of the cabinet stiles are made of vinyl wrapped "glued sawdust" (MDF). It will absorb moisture and swell. If your trailer was covered with no ventilation during storage, you might have a humidity related cabinet problem. Try ventilating the trailer, some heat, dry the air and hopefully things will "shrink back to size" in a couple of weeks. If not, most cabinet doors are held in place with hinges that can be adjusted (bent) to make up for small distances. You might be able to dry the trailer, adjust the hinges and make things work without doing anything major.

I caution people in very cold climates where there is substantial snow to not open roof vents for storage (even with vent covers on the roof). What can happen is just enough snow/moisture can form in early winter to cause a dam of ice around the open roof vent. When the sun melts the rooftop snow, it can run into the trailer through the open vent. That moisture, even if it's not enough to cause damage to the flooring, is often enough to increase the humidity inside the trailer. Then, as the sun heats the trailer through the winter, that moisture is absorbed by the "glued sawdust" causing it to swell.

Whether this is what happened to your doors is not for certain, but trying to keep your trailer dry during storage and ventilating it when possible will help with humidity problems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Yes prior to covering for the winter all the doors fit snugly. We did get a lot of snow this winter. The most at one session was 8 inches. I have my rig sitting level on 2by12's and I used the stabilizers to make it stable. I did not use any heat or driers this winter. This is the first time I have had this happen. I owned MHs before but not this. I things don't go back to normal than I will be doing some adjustments. thx for the replies.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-28-2017, 06:55 AM   #8
LarrySharon

Here is the latest, now with the temperature finally rising and the rains have stopped all but one door has gone back to original size. I will need to talk with the dealer to see how they keep this from happening to their in units that are parked on the lot all winter, you know they are not keeping them heated or running dehumidifiers/driers.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

LarrySharon,

In your first post, you say, "Uncovered my trailer yesterday..." That, I think, is the biggest difference between what your dealer does during the winter and what you do during the winter. Covers "protect" the trailer's finish from getting dirty and from exposure to UV. There are also some significant disadvantages that a cover brings to the situation. Increased moisture retention is probably one of the most significant.

Whether to cover or not is a personal decision, but I think you'll find that other than covering your trailer and the dealer not covering those on the lot, the storage is essentially the same. The question: Did the cover cause the increased level of humidity and the damage? The answer: If you can't find anything else as a causative factor, then I'd look seriously at the cover as being the reason for your problems.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #10
Mandtra

Moisture exposure , high humidity can cause expanding

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mandtra is offline   Reply With Quote