Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
00Buckshot

Question Is my Winegard HD or not?

I've got a Winegard sensar 3 antenna on my 2007 springdale which we recently bought and I can't seem to pull in more than 1 channel.
I've been looking at some of the add on antennas but I don't want to add on to an obsolete antenna.
Does anyone know if this particular antenna is HD or not? The model number on the bottom of the head is RV-6004.
The camper is currently parked at my house which is about 40 miles north of the TV stations in the area.

I did do a search and came up with nothing, I looked at the set up on the TV and it's set to "air" and not cable

Thank you,
Chad
Old 05-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I have an '08 Cougar with a Winegard SenorIII antenna and it is able to receive HD channels. I added the Wingman which increased the number of channels I was able to pull in - all in HD.

There is an antenna "booster" switch located behind our TV - looks like a cigarette lighter wall receptacle. The small black switch has to be ON before you will be able to receive any channels. When ON, the indicator light will turn green.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
buzzcop63

Our Travel Trailer came with the Winegard Sensar IV HD Antenna, which you crank up and then can turn to tune in stations. We added the Wingman to increase signal strength. Next I installed the Winegard Sensarpro TV Signal Meter, which replaced the standard power supply and acts as a signal strength indicator, adjustable amplifier and wall plate power supply, it added specific search modes, eliminating guesswork. Also found a foam rubber clock, like the one you might use to train your kids how to tell time. I cut out the center with the hands and placed it over the ceiling crank so that once stations are found you can mark down their location then when you wish to change the direction of the antenna for a specific station or group of stations you know exactly where to turn the crank to align the antenna. Also the following web sights will allow you to put in the zip code of the location you are going to camp at and it will show the RF number and stations that can be viewed by your antenna and the strength of their signal and location to give you a better chance of locking on. And last I found that once the Sensarpro TV Signal Meter locates the most stations I let the TV search and lock in those stations, the TV seems to pull in more then I get by just selecting the channel. Be aware that not all stations are the common ones you are used to, many have an RF number like 45 and will represent channel 12 or Fox on the signal meter.
http://antennaweb.org/Address.aspx
https://www.tvfool.com/modeling/
Old 05-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #4
00Buckshot

Thanks, I've been looking at the wingman. That is the route I'm going to take I think. Off to amazon I go...

Thanks again,
Chad
Old 05-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

You should not be disappointed with the Wingman. If the stations you are looking for are UHF the Wingman will greatly increase their reception. Aiming is a little more critical but worth it. It will not do anything for VHF channels. Super easy to install. Crank it up turn towards the side of the trailer and crank it down so you can reach it from a step ladder without going on the roof. ..... Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
B&T

TRIVIA :There is nothing special about so called HDTV Antennas. They are the same as the analog VHF and UHF antennas of yesteryear. HDTV uses the same frequency bands that analog TV did so their was no requirement for any change in the antenna design. The term HDTV Antenna is purely a marketing strategy to get everyone to buy new antennas.

I do agree with the above suggestions about getting a Wingman to increase your UHF reception it's an inexpensive and easy upgrade. The Wingman just converts your existing antenna's UHF section into a higher gain UHF Yagi antenna. Seems most of the HDTV channels have been moved to the UHF band. Only have one broadcaster still on VHF in my area.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
Face Down

Thanks for posting about the Winegard Sensarpro TV Signal Meter...something else to add to my list of things to buy!

There is also a neat free Android App called "DTV Antennas" that will point you in the right direction for near-by antennas along with how far away they are and what network they are broadcasting.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....antenas&hl=en
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Down View Post
Neat app.

Confirms I can get 6 channels, every single one showing the same program. One downside to where I live.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
Neat app.

Confirms I can get 6 channels, every single one showing the same program. One downside to where I live.
On the other side of the coin ...... Once my antenna is aimed I receive 61 channels. Only 9 are in English, the rest are in Spanish or Korean. Turning the antenna will give me other channels but again, only a few are in English.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
On the other side of the coin ...... Once my antenna is aimed I receive 61 channels. Only 9 are in English, the rest are in Spanish or Korean. Turning the antenna will give me other channels but again, only a few are in English.
Sort of like the "modern" owner's manuals.... Just turn it over, the other side is English... Now maybe if you could point your Cougar in the opposite direction ???? Oh, maybe that wouldn't work either..... These "modern conveniences"..............

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #11
Jimrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I have an '08 Cougar with a Winegard SenorIII antenna and it is able to receive HD channels. I added the Wingman which increased the number of channels I was able to pull in - all in HD.

There is an antenna "booster" switch located behind our TV - looks like a cigarette lighter wall receptacle. The small black switch has to be ON before you will be able to receive any channels. When ON, the indicator light will turn green.

Hope this helps.
I was having trouble finding any channels on my 2009 Passport with the Winegard antenna, so I connected an old $20 RCA antenna that I had in the garage to the TV. After running the antenna out the door and onto the roof, I was able to get 9 channels about 35 miles from the park!

So, that proves that the cable that plugged into the outlet with the green light is OK. I have a Winegard antenna, but perhaps something is broken up on the roof.
Jimrex is offline   Reply With Quote