Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
EdB

Tv/Radio interference

Hello All,

I purchased a 2015 Cougar 21RBS the end of Oct 2015. I was wondering if anyone is or did have the same issues that I am currently expiring. When I turn the stereo on it works fine, once I turn the TV on the radio fades out, once I turn the TV off radio is clear again. Also with the remote it seems I really need to press down on it to where I think I am going to break it. I have not had luck with Keystone on the TV/Stereo issue. They told me not enough people have this issue and it is just the way it was made. I would suggest if your TV and radio are in close proximity turn the radio on then the TV, if you loose your sound call and complain. Maybe they will break down and look into the problem.
EdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Is your tv connected to one of the stereo's inputs???? If it is ... disconnect it and see if that solves the problem. Perhaps a different output or input will allow both to work correctly.

As for the remote ... That is an issue with the tv's manufacturer's warranty. Look in the packet of paperwork that came with (should have) the trailer for the warranty contact number for your model tv and they should be able to help you. In the mean time an inexpensive universal remote might solve that problem.

JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know what you have but is it possible that you have your settings so that the sound output of the TV goes out to the speakers the radio uses thus muting the radio? Just thinking........
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
vampress_me

With the TV/stereo remote issue. Get a new one from your dealer under warranty. Our remote had the same issue - had to press real hard to sometimes get the buttons to work, other times the buttons wouldn't work at all. Got a new remote from our dealer and this one works like it should.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
summerhummer

Hi 2014 laredo 320 TG has the same issue. If you have the TV and radio on at the same time they dont work good together. I went to the dealer on this for my PDI and there was really nothing he said they could do. It may be bad wiring not good enough gauge I dont know but they dont go good together. I run into this when I have the outside speakers on and the kids are watching TV inside. I will be calling keystone for some other warranty stuff and I will bring it up...
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #6
GaryWT

First off once we get to Oct 2015 and you actually have your trailer it might work, lol, sorry had to say it.

At first I was going to say most probably dont have both on at the same time as you either watch tv or listen to the radio. Using the outside speakers would be the exception I guess. We have used the dvd player part of the radio and tv and sound works well but we also have a 2nd dvd player so the sound comes from the tv when we are in the bedroom.

If you pull the radio out, there is most likely quite a few wires...
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
EdB

What happens is when the stereo is on the radio fades out. The way to explain it is if toy go into a tunnel your radio fades out and when you exit is comes back. I hopefully will be getting my trailer back soon so I can look into it myself. When I called Keystone they told me it was a poor design and basically told me to deal with it there is nothing they can do. Especially since the radio works and the TV works. They also told me why would I want both on at the same time. After I gave them a couple reasons, one being when I set up I have the radio on and I cant set my TV up, if my wife wants to go in and watch TV and I want to stay outside etc. Once I come up with a solution I will post it.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

EdB,

It almost sounds like you're having antenna issues. Most of the Keystone radio antennas are a simple wire type. They are often coiled up behind the stereo and won't work very well. Many of us either take the radio out, uncoil the antenna and string it up through the cabinet, loop it over the inside of the stereo compartment or find a way to "string it" as high as possible to get better reception.

There is a way to use the TV antenna through the booster amplifier to power the "FM" portion of the stereo and you could always just install an exterior radio antenna similar to the one on your truck/car. I would suggest trying to reposition the existing antenna and see if there is any improvement, if there is "some" but not enough, then possibly look at rewiring the TV antenna or installing an exterior one.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
EdB

Hello John,

The problem is not the antenna reception. When you turn the TV on the radio fades out when you turn it off it is fine. The dealer stretched the antenna out so I am hoping that that part is fixed. There s RF going from the TV getting into the radio.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Minimal reception by the radio will be masked when the TV booster amplifier is operational. If you're familiar with how an electrical coil works, you'll remember that the "interference" it produces will disrupt electrical activity in adjacent wires. In this situation, the radio antenna is the "adjacent wire" that is being affected when the TV is turned on. It's not able to receive sufficient input from the broadcast station because of the poor reception which is made worse by the TV "interference". The only way to "fix" it is to separate the two antenna systems or to incorporate them into one "system". You might want to lay the radio antenna out on the floor in "FRONT" of the radio, tune in a station, then turn on the TV and see if the signal diminishes. The issue is not with the TV, the booster circuit or with the radio. It's with the radio reception (antenna) when there is a "strong signal" that masks the appropriate frequency and disrupts the reception.

As for the "dealer stretched the antenna out" part. If I were you, I'd doublecheck what he did by looking to see just how much he "stretched it". Chances are he uncoiled it by removing the tape and then stuffed it back into the hole. From the little I know about electronics, I still say your radio antenna is not sufficient to receive a radio signal when the TV booster amplifier is interfering with the radio antenna's reception.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #11
EdB

Thank You JRTJH,

The problem is RF coming from the TV. I hope to have my trailer back Monday. If I do planned on moving the antenna. Unfortunately I don't believe a thing the dealer told me they tried.

Tags
interference, radio, stereo