Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #21
Outbackmel

Walking on a RV roof

A close friend of mine fell off his roof and was seriously injured in the fall. I go up on mine frequently for washing it and ensuring all is as it should be. With this said, TAKE HEED that you have on tight fitting shoes with soles which will not SKID on a "possible" moist rubber roof. Second, DO NOT TRY and take all your clean up supplies with you as you ascend to the roof. I have my DW hand up my "blower" OR I get high enough to place it out of the way on the roof and ensure it does not intefere with my ladder hand hold points.

On the bottom side, I generally use a solid step stool or small step ladder to assist me on reaching the ladder safely so I am not "stretching".

Most injuries happen simply because we are not concentrating 100% of the task at hand. These comments are only made to help ensure you do not run into a typical pitfall once up there. WATCH YOUR STEP. There are plenty of things to potentially trip over. (like your broom or blower ).

Be safe....have fun.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
golfpro

Hank, is that your snow blower under the fifth wheel?? How do you get to it?
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
SteveC7010

I have a 10' ladder that I carry on the trailer. I can usually reach the top of each slide with either a soft push broom or a squeege with the ladder so that I don't have to climb up on the roof every time we pack up. But, if there is any ground slope near the trailer, it doesn't reach the bedroom and bathroom slides.

So I am looking for a 14' ladder. That will also make it easier to reach the roof.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro View Post
Hank, is that your snow blower under the fifth wheel?? How do you get to it?
This winter I have not needed it. Crazy winter ... 60°F here today. But in other years, I just send the DW out to get it for me. .... Please don't tell her I said that or I will be sleeping in the Cougar tonight. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #25
hankaye

Howdy All;

Due to the fact that Rascal dosen't have thumbs ......

I use a rope to haul my necessary supplies up top.
Sometimes, when I have to make several trips up-n-down
I get an extra workout.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
Jay Pat

I carry a foldup latter so that I can get on the roof. I may need to get up there to inspect for damage/repair. I carry repair materials.
Use an extension handle with brush to sweep off slide.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #27
wgb1

The easiest solution for me was a small step ladder and a brush-head that screws onto an 12' extendable aluminum painting handle from Lowes. I also have a 12" squeegee that will screw onto the end of the handle to wipe off rainwater. Other than a slide topper, there isn't another good solution. As one poster stated, I have backed my truck up to the edge of the camper before I bought the ladder.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
Halibutman214

Okay so this post may be a bit old but I'm new to a TT. Common sense told me to check my slide for debris before I closed it but I have to ask, are you suppose to dry it as well? If you don't do you get water inside?
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #29
SteveC7010

[QUOTE=Halibutman214;32049]Okay so this post may be a bit old but I'm new to a TT. Common sense told me to check my slide for debris before I closed it but I have to ask, are you suppose to dry it as well? If you don't do you get water inside?[/QUOTE

I use a squeegee to remove most of the water on the top of the slides before retracting them. The seals on the slides help get some of it too, but I usually take an old towel and wipe from the inside of the trailer after the slides are in.

I may be overdoing it here, but I'd prefer to keep the inside of the trailer as dry as possible.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #30
chuck&gail

I always check. I bought a convex mirror on a short pole, made to be used to hook up TT's by yourself. I mounted it on a longer aluminum pole and store it in our TT rear compartment. When ready to bring in slide, I use mirror to look and see if it needs cleaning. Probably 4 out of 5 times all is clean.

But, when it needs cleaning "We carry a stepladder that folds up to about 5" x 5" x 6 feet. That way I can see up there. To clean stuff off I bought a brush made to wash RV's with that has an extendable handle, works perfect." Yup, me as well. Both also fit in rear compartment.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote