Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Poppy's 5th Wheel

2011 Cougar HC 299RKS Stair Remodel

Well, I finally got around to doing this project while the trailer is "out of service" ...don't ask, well you can ask but it's really another long story.

We've been griping about these stairs since we bought the trailer and I got inspiration from a few other owners so I finally got it done today.

I wish I had a before picture but I forgot to take a picture. If anyone with a 299RKS could take a picture for me for my records i would really appreciate it.

The unit comes with only 1 step between the main floor and the bathroom/bedroom floor. That's a 21" difference so the step was 11" off the main floor and then a 10" riser to the hall to the bathroom/bedroom. Really ridiculous.

The unfortunate part is that there is only about 16" to try to get an additional step.

I ended up with my 2 new steps rising 7" each but unfortunately, with about 1" overhang they are only about 9" deep.

I also left the area under the first step open for show storage.

So, here's some pictures including how they looked originally.

2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Poppy's 5th Wheel

I didn't like how the bottom step felt with the overhang so I added a second support. Now it's rock solid>

2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 08-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Poppy's 5th Wheel

I stained all the exposed wood with a cherry stain.

2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 08-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Finished Project:

2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 08-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
therink

Nicely done. How did you match the carpet or were you able to reuse the original?

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
fred1609

Very nice job, thanks for the pics.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:15 AM   #7
byrdr1

2011 Cougar HC 299RKS Stair Remodel

Great job! this addition of the second step helps with going up and down those steps. I was glad I did mine too.

Then I see keystone added it on the newer 327RES..
This is mine. Wife wanted hardwood steps I went with carpet..
I do like your open bottom for storage..

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
Rweb

Great job on the stairs guys !! That is the one thing that bothers us about our trailer, is only having one step.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
Poppy's 5th Wheel

@therink, I was able to reuse the existing carpet although it is patched together in places. You can't really tell. Plus, we keep it covered with that sticky clear plastic carpet protector stuff. We also cover the section of carpet just on the inside left of the door.

@byrdr1, nice job as well! I sure wish I had enough left over carpet to cover the wall just to the left as you did because I managed to scratch that area of wall paper up pretty badly removing the original step. I was in too big a hurry and didn't see a screw that was sticking out and, as usual for me, I just kept trying to force it out and bingo. Did you scavenge that from the landing when you replaced the carpet with the vinyl up there?
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 08-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
@byrdr1, nice job as well! I sure wish I had enough left over carpet to cover the wall just to the left as you did because I managed to scratch that area of wall paper up pretty badly removing the original step. I was in too big a hurry and didn't see a screw that was sticking out and, as usual for me, I just kept trying to force it out and bingo. Did you scavenge that from the landing when you replaced the carpet with the vinyl up there?
Poppy, the vinyl was there and it runs into bathroom and up into the bedroom and the carpet starts again on the rise of the 5th.
The carpet on the wall was already there, the original step was a mid-way up. I did like you split the difference and came out to the edge of the door frame. Someone on here had done the same thing but they took theirs out to the other corner by the panty cabinet and radiused the steps. More work than my mind(math)could do.. The extra carpet came out from under the master bed. I removed the mattress, the plywood platform and cut out the amount needed to do the bottom step and the kick panel. It was a JOB but I think it looks fine finished. I Knew carpet was under the bed because I had to fix the slide out bed wobble already..the only one noticing it now is the dog as he can get up under the bed by the riser.. I still have more carpet if ever needed. YES the step treads and the rise is almost the same yours. NOW that it is done and has been used, I am use to the slightly smaller tread on the step. nine inches is still a nice step, maybe not to building code, I am not sure but it works for me and my family.
again great MOD Poppy..
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
Yosemitebob

Nice job guys, my wife is not ready for this yet, but I'm sure she will be one day. She is only 5' high, and I see her step extra for the existing, but I'll just wait patiently. I filed it away in my head, for future work.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #12
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
Nice job guys, my wife is not ready for this yet, but I'm sure she will be one day. She is only 5' high, and I see her step extra for the existing, but I'll just wait patiently. I filed it away in my head, for future work.
Deb is 5' also and, although we're big time cyclists and hikers, she really hated those tall steps, especially after a long ride or hike. I must admit to hating them too! I did exactly that Yosemitebob, I bookmarked a similar thread a year or so ago and promised her once I re-retired, which I just did, I would reconfigure them. I'm glad it's done but on to more projects now.

BTW, it was a 1 full day project (with an additional day for design and gathering materials) which I stretched to 2 days due to a materials shortage when I didn't plan to need the extra support on the bottom step.
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 08-13-2014, 07:31 AM   #13
Yosemitebob

We do the same, I just mentioned it to her this morning, her comment was "we need the exercise", no less than what I expected. I also retire again, in two years, it will be done before then
Old 08-25-2014, 06:02 AM   #14
Yosemitebob

Poppy, how much of a difference of tread depth did you end up with after the remodel? Your treads were "x" amount in depth (original) before you started, what did you end up with after your project for a tread depth? I guess what I'm asking how much depth did you lose. I know you extended it a certain amount, but was there a lose at all? Are you happy with the depth when it comes to coming down the steps? I'm just now starting to lay mine out.

OK, I did see you said your tread was 9" but how much of that was under the "top" step, as when you are coming down the stairs do you have to maybe turn your foot slightly left or right or do you have enough to just naturally walk down? I know this might be a silly question, but my brain is trying to look at this in all directions.

Bob
Old 08-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #15
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Poppy, how much of a difference of tread depth did you end up with after the remodel? Your treads were "x" amount in depth (original) before you started, what did you end up with after your project for a tread depth? I guess what I'm asking how much depth did you lose. I know you extended it a certain amount, but was there a lose at all? Are you happy with the depth when it comes to coming down the steps? I'm just now starting to lay mine out.

OK, I did see you said your tread was 9" but how much of that was under the "top" step, as when you are coming down the stairs do you have to maybe turn your foot slightly left or right or do you have enough to just naturally walk down? I know this might be a silly question, but my brain is trying to look at this in all directions.

Bob
Not a silly question at all. The steps are now 9" in depth and the original single step was around 11" if I remember correctly. If SkiSmuggs reads this maybe he can measure his for confirmation.

We haven't been in the trailer much since I finished that project but I do find myself stepping a little sideways. I don't think there is any way around that. It's more so coming down than going up. Going up it seems you naturally step the ball of your foot on the step but coming down your usually more careful.

Personally I think the trade off is worth it. With the original steps being 10" and 11" risers and now only 7" is more important to us than the narrower step.

Time will tell but there is clearly a smaller step. My wife is 100% convinced these 2 smaller steps are better than the 1 larger step that was so high.
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 08-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #16
Yosemitebob

much appreciated
Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #17
Yosemitebob

Another question,
Looking at your pictures, do you remember if the aluminum uprights showing for the top support could be moved further toward the front of the trailer. I guess I'm asking do you remember seeing any real obstructions to doing this, other than cutting the aluminum out and adding a new support further back (or actually forward)? It looks like the frame for the stairs is pretty much all separate from the walls. Even three inches would make a big difference.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #18
Poppy's 5th Wheel

Quote:
Another question,
Looking at your pictures, do you remember if the aluminum uprights showing for the top support could be moved further toward the front of the trailer. I guess I'm asking do you remember seeing any real obstructions to doing this, other than cutting the aluminum out and adding a new support further back (or actually forward)? It looks like the frame for the stairs is pretty much all separate from the walls. Even three inches would make a big difference.
Hi Bob,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I've been stuck under my trailer (see my "Crap" thread). You know I really looked at that as I really wanted to move that landing forward, closer to the B/R door, but it is the structural floor of the entire front of the trailer. Everything upstairs builds off of it. The aluminum is all welded and I think if you were to cut it out you would need to re-weld it. I can't weld steel worth a crap, I think aluminum really requires special skills and experience (and equipment). I think the structural demands would eliminate this option.

I tried to find another picture that may show what I mean and the best I could find is this one from the pass through. You can see to the left is the upright aluminum framing for the stair well and above is the welded aluminum floor. That is what you would be cutting the corner out of. I just don't see it.

2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Old 08-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #19
Yosemitebob

Thank you for the picture, I see what you are talking about. I also took my basement wall off to check it out from there, pretty much the same. Although I do weld aluminum, I decided not to cut the main header for the floor. That tube runs from right to left and I'm still on a warranty And also the possibility of starting a fire having to weld in place with dry wood attached along with carpet, etc, etc. I'm going to plan B. I'll let you know as I go. I had a dream and it just might work. Starting tomorrow
Old 10-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #20
Joecycle12

Poppy,
Love the step mod. I have the same issue on my cougar 327res. My question is how did you secure the step frame to the sides?
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joecycle12 is offline   Reply With Quote