Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
Dpl14025

2002 cougar 5th slide out problem

Have a 2002 keystone cougar 5th that has a slide out with a dewald electric slide motor. It is not a hydraulic pump type. I'm trying to manually crank out but the slide out seems to be really stuck or there is a lock mechanism that needs to be released to get it to move. I have the original owner manuals but what is included is the dewald hydraulic pump unit which I don't have. Anyone know how to manually extend the slide out. I put a new 12v battery in but the slide won't extend that way so I would to try and get it extended manually first.
Dpl14025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Have you checked to see if a fuse has blown?

We have an '08 Cougar 5th and the access to the manual crank mechanism is found in the underbelly. There is a small cutout (about 8" square) located on the passenger side, about 18" in and 24" in front of the leading wheel. The "door" to the access is secured by plastic ties.

Open the flap and the motor is right there. There is a 3/4" nut which you attach a ratchet and turn to extend or retract the slide. The manual instructions say to disconnect the wires from the motor to the battery to avoid electrical damage to the motor while manually cranking the slide in or out.

There are other manual slide out access points - some are at the top of the slide and accessed from the outside but you have to remove a side panel from the slide out. There is a YouTube video about this type.

I'd check for a blown fuse first and then try looking underneath your unit for the cutout.
Get back and let us know how you make out with this suggestion.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Dpl14025

The underside on the cougar is open so I can see all the slide mechanism. Once it stops pouring I'll try to take some pics and post. I replaced the 30 amp relay so that didn't appear to be the problem. I'm going to get the wife to work the slide switch and see if from the motor wire leads I get a 12 volt reading on the multimeter to know power is going to the motor
Old 07-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Dpl14025

Just checked and when the slide out switch is pushed I'm getting a 12+ Volt reading on the wire running to the slide motor so that appears to rule out any blown fuses. I'm still thinking there must be some brake mechanism built into these dewald electric motor rack and pinion slide out systems that is preventing it from being manually cranked out.